1934 Plymouth five window

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes OI I'm also interested in seeing the difference in ride height.
Today I ordered five WWW Coker tires for the fifteen inch rims I already have.
The wire wheels go back on the '34 Dodge Brothers truck that I have been robbing unmercifully,[motor, transmission, rad, maybe seat, and wheels].

I finished a valve job on a flat head Chrysler 6 and sanded some on the '34 door. Now one side of the Plymouth has a 2" dropped spindle and another half a loop cut off the coil spring [it looked like the PO had cut some off already].

Attachments

• IMG_1385.jpg
    IMG_1385.jpg
    149 KB · Views: 24
Sorry guys, I slipped away to the Bahamas for a while to forget the snow. When I got back this morning, there was a Chinook blowing so I went out to my cold shed and robbed some stuff from my parts 33' Plymouth. I will eventually need the clutch and brake pedal assembly so I took a picture of the old car before dis-assembly and one in on the shop floor. While I was out at the shed robbing I took out some dovetails, [I believe they're called] and installed them in the coupe's door frame, to keep the door lined up. Then I worked on the driver side front wheel, lowering the suspension.
Try as I might, I cannot upload any pictures tonight.

I will try the uploading again. Here's little snipets of what I did yesterday.

Attachments

• IMG_1386.jpg
    IMG_1386.jpg
    147 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_1387.jpg
    IMG_1387.jpg
    78.4 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_1388.jpg
    IMG_1388.jpg
    27.2 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_1389.jpg
    IMG_1389.jpg
    22.7 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_1390.jpg
    IMG_1390.jpg
    112 KB · Views: 26
To justify sneaking away like that, fbp, we had just come out of an evening of -40F and it had warmed up to -10F but was snowing heavily in a blizzard so we felt pretty good leaving here. I thought I would have to leave the car at the end of the driveway and walk in dragging the suitcases when we got back, but a neighbour had come over and plowed the driveway and yard out and then it started to melt in a Chinook and it's still melting.
Back to real life; car building, with the drivers front wheel lowered and put back together, I remeasured the height. It is 2 1/2" lower now and it feels more springy when I bounce on it. I noticed that when I put both springs into their hats, they both caught on the edge of their hats and were 3/4" higher than they should have been. I pried them over a bit and 'Sprang' they popped into place and felt good. My point is maybe this happens a lot with Mustang II front suspension and it could throw off our measuring. Anyhow, I'm quite a bit happier about my height now.
The second picture is a mediocre one of the height before the suspension change, and I don't think the motor is touching the frame at all.

Attachments

• IMG_1391.jpg
    IMG_1391.jpg
    138.9 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_1240.jpg
    IMG_1240.jpg
    83.8 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_1392.jpg
    IMG_1392.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 28
Looks great
When the car is all together are you thinking another 3 to 4 inches lower?
i know there's a coil cut off. Are the springs the original Mustang ll ?

OI, with the smaller wheels that I just put on,[gaining another inch drop], the car will be 3 and a bit inches lower. With the weight of the motor, rad, tin, fluids and headlights, I think it will drop 3 more inches. Here's the new 15" wheels and tires. The last picture is a teaser to show you and me what the wheels will look like blinged up.:D
OI, I think the springs were stock Mustang ll but they were installed by the PO and so far most of what he installed did not come up to my lowly standards of engineering.[S :eek:

Attachments

• IMG_1393.jpg
    IMG_1393.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_1394.jpg
    IMG_1394.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_1396.jpg
    IMG_1396.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 45
Torchie, I also like the the artilleries, but, it was hard to take those wire wheels off and store them for the next project. I had robbed them from my REAL RAT rod project; a '34 Dodge Brothers truck, and by golly, they're going back on it. Thanks for the thumbs up.
OI, thanks also for the thumbs up on the colour. That's supposed to be the newish Chrysler copper and I really like it. The top 3/4 of the body of the car will be that colour too and the bottom bit and the fenders will be chocolate.

Thank you guys.
About a year ago, sixty8, I also wanted one of these and I was let out of the house, unchaperoned and with a cheque book, and now look at the trouble I'm in. So, you be dang careful what you wish for.:D

I'm going to pirate my own thread, [Do you think that will go over OK?]. Today I went out to my cold storage shed, because it still is Chinooking here, and took the rear wheel off my '36 pick-up to fix the flat tire. I had made myself a cool wheel wrench and jack handle, and had make storage places for them so I thought I'd test everything out while I was sorta' close to the shop. Boy, what a lesson, I got. I had no way of prying the hubcap off. Even after I trudged up to the shop, [on 200 yards of glassy ice with a film of water on top] and made an L shaped thingy pry bar, and then trudged back, I found that I had the measurements all wrong and I still couldn't get the hubcap off yet. :mad: I slithered back to the shop and brought back an old broken screw driver that worked like a charm. All went well after that, but I remembered some advice from Snopro to "tighten up your aluminum wheel spacers every once in a while". I'm going to listen to him this time.

Attachments

• IMG_1397.jpg
    IMG_1397.jpg
    125.1 KB · Views: 27
I fixed the tire, tightened the wheel spacer, [good thinking Snopro], and put my tire back on the truck.
Back in the shop, I got down to business on the sanding the top section of the passenger door, reapplied some more body filler and sanded some more. There are no pictures of my sanding because, the interest rate's right up there with watching paint dry.

Latest posts

Back