1934 Plymouth five window

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mac, get you some short pieces of 2x6 or wider lumber. Roll the car up on the lumber, check clearance, if not enough, stack another one on top to make a 4x6. Wider boards work better, 2x10 or 2x12. I try to keep a few short boards around for this. I can't get under my car unless I run it up on 2" thickness at the least, and then it's tight on my midsection.:D

Soltz, are telling me it's normal to run into challenges once in a while, when you're building a hotrod. Sheesh.
Thanks Bama, I knew I could jack up the front far enough to get the crane wheels under there, but then I couldn't keep the angle of the car level so I could mount the engine in properly. Then You come along with the answer to all of my problems, 'put a board under each tire and raise the whole car up'. Now the 'ride stance' will be right and the mounts can be made. Sometimes it's a way faster, if I don't do the thinking. Thank you.
I hadn't even thought about crawling under the car yet, but I'm horizontally challenged, so it's easier, and it'll be even easier with the boards under the wheels. Thank you.

Last edited:
Soltz, are telling me it's normal to run into challenges once in a while, when you're building a hotrod. Sheesh.
Thanks Bama, I knew I could jack up the front far enough to get the crane wheels under there, but then I couldn't keep the angle of the car level so I could mount the engine in properly. Then You come along with the answer to all of my problems, 'put a board under each tire and raise the whole care up'. Now the 'ride stance' will be right and the mounts can be made. Sometimes it's a way faster, if I don't do the thinking. Thank you.
I hadn't even thought about crawling under the car yet, but I'm horizontally challenged, so it's easier, and it'll be even easier with the boards under the wheels. Thank you.
Something else to consider. Just so I can be a PITA this morning. :DJacking the car up (if not done correctly) can throw the suspension out of normal stance when it is set back down. This is mostly an issue with IFS, not so much with straight axle front end. I think... [S

I new a stock car racer that made hooks that kept the suspension in place on the ground so that when he jacked the car up it didn't change position. Of course he was weighing corners, and needed the weight distribution to stay exactly the same.

Rolling it up on boards should prevent suspension positioning issues also.

Yes Skip, I have the IFS and it changes the geometry when I jack it up, so I was grumbling all night about life in general and hotrods in particular, when suddenly Bama straightens me out so easily that I almost wet my pants. As soon as they're dry I'm going outside and scrounge up some 2x8" chunks.
You're not being a PITA when you point out possible stumbling blocks.

Yes Skip, I have the IFS and it changes the geometry when I jack it up, so I was grumbling all night about life in general and hotrods in particular, when suddenly Bama straightens me out so easily that I almost wet my pants. As soon as they're dry I'm going outside and scrounge up some 2x8" chunks.
You're not being a PITA when you point out possible stumbling blocks.
Geometry. That's the word I couldn't think of this morning. :D Simple solutions are always best. I really want a taller shop with a lift. That would make a lot of my stuff simpler.

Folks at RRR are really great about accepting suggestions about stumbling blocks, and most any suggestion or opinion for that matter. If the rest of the world was half as good as the gang here, it would be a much better place.

RRR Rocks!

Hey Mac, I started out with nothing, and still have most of it left! [cl

I've always seemed to have to do things the low buck way, sometimes I've had to scratch the old noggin a while to come up with a solution to a problem, so I know what you're saying. When you're broke, you improvise! Just like the "painters scaffold" I mentioned on another thread, you make do with what ya got!

Glad I could be some help! :D

forbigpicture underlined something Skip said, about the guys on RRR being agreeable and helping each other out. He's right, you know. You guys are dang fine to hang out with. Thank you Bama, Thank you, all for the help, the comradery, the humour and the witticisms.

I've got my car up on blocks and leveled, the engine and transmission dangling in place, the power steering pump almost on there right and the transmission mount almost finished. Also, there was quite a bit of lying on the floor imagineering at angles and spaces, but no pictures of that.

482191429.jpg
MM Imagineering

Now you guys can see why there are no pics of me lying on the floor thinking. Someone might believe I wasn't thinking up to 100%.
I remember once upon a time when I fell asleep under my 57 Ranch Wagon with a 3-speed sitting on my chest. :D Before the little nap the dang thing wouldn't go in to save my life. Afterwords, it slipped right in.

Nothin' wrong with a little reflection time under a car.;)

I finished my transmission mount today and painted it. The previous builder had welded in a crossmember, but it's quite a bit too far back, hence, the weird looking mount.
The power steering pump is bolted on, partly, pulleys lined up, and a belt found and installed. The reason for the pumps premature installation is I have to make a weird motor mount set up [from the bottom of the water pump on a baby Hemi] and I have to avoid shooting myself in the foot by wasting room. Hopefully I can miss the steering pump, the steering shaft and fan belt on one side and the rad hose and fan belts on the other side. So that's why I've been doing a lot of imageneering lately.

Attachments

• IMG_1434.jpg
    IMG_1434.jpg
    196.5 KB · Views: 25
OI, that squarish notch fits around the square rubber mounting isolator on the transmission extension housing.
Your naivety continues to astound me Torchie, as I have been right here measuring my progress and it's been underwhelming at best. Thank you for the optimistic applause.

OI, that squarish notch fits around the square rubber mounting isolator on the transmission extension housing.
Your naivety continues to astound me Torchie, as I have been right here measuring my progress and it's been underwhelming at best. Thank you for the optimistic applause.
Anyone that uses "underwhelming" is up there on my list. [cl

Torchie,
Not goin' there. :D

These Baby Hemi front motor mounts are hard to do anything with but I finally changed my thinking and stopped worrying about the torque twist of the motor, for a while. I made a fairly narrow mount that now sits on top of the front Mustang 2 axle at the bottom and bolts to the bottom of the water pump at the top. It isn't that narrow at the mid point, as you'll see in the picture. I ran out of oxygen on Saturday afternoon so my mount building slowed down a bit.
I've opted to make another mounting cross member under the bellhousing like the donor truck probably had, and that should stop the torque twist.

Attachments

• IMG_1435.jpg
    IMG_1435.jpg
    116.5 KB · Views: 30
I've got a wee bit more welded on my front motor mount, but my wire feed welder has always fought with me and today was no exception. I almost have it back together again. [pic 1] is some homemade U-bolts to clamp the mount onto the Mustang 2 axle.
In other news, I had ordered Sanderson headers a while ago and they came in so I grabbed them [pic 2] and tried them on. In [pic 3] you'll notice they're on there but the starter is missing. The starter is at least 1" too long to fit on there with the headers. When I phoned Sandersons, they were a little cavalier with their solutions. "You'll just have to to buy a Powermaster mini starter, then, won't you".
When you put an unmatched starter onto a flywheel you have to know the tooth count of the flywheel. I found out, that by counting the teeth showing in the starter hole you can guess the number on the whole flywheel. There's 10 showing so there is 146 teeth on the flywheel.[pic 4]
I found a starter on an old Massey-Harris tractor, with a Chrysler flathead 6, that will work and fits in there.
I do like the headers, it's just that they brought me some more stress.

Attachments

• IMG_1439.jpg
    IMG_1439.jpg
    212.4 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_1441.jpg
    IMG_1441.jpg
    107.6 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_1442.jpg
    IMG_1442.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_1440.jpg
    IMG_1440.jpg