1934 Plymouth five window

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It's the little things in life that just make us all giddy. Nice work and it just looks right.
Isn't that the truth.
MM, I'm not thread hijacking but, this one has always made me almost laugh with delight.
When I put my 40 together, I had a 78 Nova as a donor. I was trying to figure out what I was gonna do with the original speedometer (it was worn out)
I pulled it apart, thought I'd try to use the Nova's. I took it apart :eek: holy smoke, it was the same internal parts as the 40 :D All I had to do was drill and tap the face mount bosses that were there and screw the face of the 40 on the Nova mechanism.
All of it went right back in the original housing. :eek:
Who would of thought that they would be the same 38 years later :cool:
OK, I'll settle down now :eek:

You are falling right in with my thinking; going to quite a bit of work to make something look like you never had to touch it.
You are not hijacking my thread, you're reinforcing my weird ways with similar thoughts. Thank you Old Iron.

Alright Guys, it's time for a progress report on the '34 Plymouth.
Here are two pictures of the bottom sawed off door hinges and a sneak look at where the serial # plate is on a Mopar in the early-mid '30's. I'm not putting those hidden hinges in there as they are only hidden on the outside; on the inside they stick out about three inches and are ugly. There is a donor car out in the horribly cold old shed with good hinges.
I also had to adapt my swap-meet four barrel air cleaner to the top of a WW Stromberg carb. After robbing the bottom section of a beatup V-8 Dodge air cleaner, I made a sleeve to fit over the two unmated parts. It turns out that an old electric motor was almost the right size for the sleeve, so I cut a chunk out of it. [pic three and four] Then I had to make it a little bigger [pic five], and finally it fit together. [pic six and seven].

Attachments

• IMG_1356.jpg
    IMG_1356.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_1357.jpg
    IMG_1357.jpg
    47.6 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_1331.jpg
    IMG_1331.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_1358.jpg
    IMG_1358.jpg
    75.1 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_1361.jpg
    IMG_1361.jpg
    100.3 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_1362.jpg
    IMG_1362.jpg
    57.5 KB · Views: 40
  • IMG_1363.jpg
    IMG_1363.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 38
I was beginning to think that this build fell off the edge of the earth with you in it Mac.[ddd
Good to see you back at it.
Torchie. [P [P [P

It's good to be back at it, Torchie. Life keeps happening to me in the summertime, so hotrod building takes a back seat, sorry. I do lurk on this site though, so don't try to get away with anything.
Here's my air cleaner gadget the right way up, which will make it less confusing than yesterdays pictures. Since the picture was taken I have taken it apart and primed it.

Attachments

• IMG_1364.jpg
    IMG_1364.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 40
Remember that horribly cold old shed I told you about, you know the one with the donor Plymouth sedan in; well it got a little nicer out and I braved the elements and got the passenger door and it's lower hinge off. Today, it got positively half decent out, so I got the drivers door and lower hinge off. Most of the flathead screwdriver bolts in the hinges were impossible to loosen without many tools or electricity. I ended up taking the acetylene torch to more than half of them.
I held the sedan doors up in place for the mock-up and I will have to make a new hole for the door stopper strap as the coupes strap is below the bottom hinge and the sedans is above, and the window hole has to be chopped about one inch.
In the first picture I have one and a half bolts out, well those are the only two bolts that I got out successfully. It went downhill from there.:( The second picture is just the sedan door leaning up against the two coupe doors. Now I have both sedan doors leaning up against the coupes and they're all in the warm shop.

Attachments

• IMG_1365.jpg
    IMG_1365.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_1366.jpg
    IMG_1366.jpg
    84.5 KB · Views: 29
Sorry guys, I didn't explain why I was going to all the grief of changing doors. The coupe doors are a bit rougher than I would like, [rust through and one bad ding], have no window regulators or door latch mechanism, handles or internals, and the bottom hinges have been sawed off by the previous owner. I thought chopping the sedan doors would be easier than changing everything over and then doing a bunch of body work anyhow. So, after cursing out the previous owner yet again I set out to put sedan doors on a coupe.

The before and after shots of the passenger door hinge rejuvenation. At the bottom of the second picture you will see a patina'd chunk of metal with threaded holes in it. That is the driver side 'nut' that is supposed to be inside the door post welded on to the hinge mount. The passenger side 'nut' was also broken off and had to be welded back on inside the door post.

Attachments

• IMG_1356.jpg
    IMG_1356.jpg
    46.6 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_1367.jpg
    IMG_1367.jpg
    47.1 KB · Views: 28
Thank you Soltz. Today I tackled the sedan door, with it's cracked out bottom hinge and bent tin. The door tin is all welded up around the hinge and the top of the window frame is sawed off. The sedan door is 1" taller than the coupes, measuring from hinge to hinge. The coupe roof looks to be slightly rounded, front to back, too so I may have to also chop a bit above the upper hinge. Sedans A pillar window frame is at a different slant too, so I will have to lean that back a little. Here's a mock-up of the door partly chopped.

I guess I'm not going to show a picture.

Looking like you're facing some of the same stuff I'm looking at. Broken and welded hinges are next on mine and I'm missing door tops too! Pix as you go please, I've been holding off on that part...lol! Keep up the good work!

I've gained quite a bit of confidence from watching you guys working so effortlessly, so I just jumped right in.
Sit on a five gallon pail and plan your cuts and welds, and try to figure out what the door will do if you have the hinge in a new position, or should you leave it in the old worn out, droopy position. Anyhow, while you're on the upturned pail, imagineer into the future on all of your changes and you'll be half way there in no time.
I had to bend the front of the window frame back a bit so cut the corner pie-shaped and bent it back.
You'll notice in both pictures that I have very little clearance at the front of the door so I will have to move my lower hinge back an eighth of and inch.

Attachments

• IMG_1370.jpg
    IMG_1370.jpg
    66.8 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_1371.jpg
    IMG_1371.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:

Latest posts

Back