1934 standaed 10hp

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rustmeister

north east of england in county cleveland (yep the
STANDARD 10hp Hi there everyone , well probably no one once you see the state of this but this is a car i built this year with my son, he is 25 years old and a plumber but had never done any welding or bodywork on cars before this and it was part way through when one day i noticed he was a bit quiet, whats up son i asked, well dad it seems like your doing all the work he replied,I realised then that it was his car and i should only be his helper and the ideas should come from him and i should teach him the base skills that we all learn then build on, so here it is, arriving at my mates house and he started the roof chop and got that most of the way there, then i bought it off him when he raised funds for a business venture

Attachments

• carls rod just home.jpg
    carls rod just home.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 48
  • carls rod just home 2.jpg
    carls rod just home 2.jpg
    104.2 KB · Views: 46
  • first try on scimtar from back.jpg
    first try on scimtar from back.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 49
  • DSC00371.jpg
    DSC00371.jpg
    136.5 KB · Views: 46
  • DSC00375.jpg
    DSC00375.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 48
Last edited:
so as you can see these cars are pretty small and you can also see theres not that much of it haha, But taking it off the trailer we found out the brakes still worked! (cable), the original rails where about as thin as a ciggy paper, (we call em fags but you would only get confused haha), we chatted about the way to go with the chassis and settled on using a reliant scimitar rolling chassis under it, ( reliant scimitar??? well it was a sports estate car, 3 litre v6 4 link rear, triumph TR6 front suspension, coil overs all round and handle really well) knowing the 3.5 litre rover v8 out of an SD1 would no way stress this chassis and we have loads of corners in england so best if you can get round em in a hurry, as you see in one of the pics the front is right off the car that was so i could re do the chop a bit to get things somwhere near for the doors, the chassis needed five inches taking out,I boxed it inside and then slid the two parts together, they fitted so well i needed to pull them together with pull-lifts

Attachments

• carl cutting out.jpg
    carl cutting out.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 24
  • DSC00518.jpg
    DSC00518.jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 25
  • DSC00557.jpg
    DSC00557.jpg
    111.4 KB · Views: 25
Last edited:
some more pics of the standard, you can see carl my son in there with the gas axe chopping out metal to clear the rear suspension, we where welding with just plain CO2, it was cheap and readily available but weld quality isnt so great, later on we got some decent argosheild and that transformed things but i reasoned if he can learn with the bad stuff then when he gets the good stuff he should fly, well that side of thigs worked as he welds good now, he also fitted a spare pair of morris rear wings i had kicking around, then it looked as though it was going open wheel front and guarded rears, the motor sounded really crisp and a 4 barrel holley was dropped on top and a straight through system to the rear with a bit of an air leak for big licking flames on the overrun

Attachments

• DSC00562.jpg
    DSC00562.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 27
  • DSC00563.jpg
    DSC00563.jpg
    84.4 KB · Views: 24
  • DSC00598.jpg
    DSC00598.jpg
    109 KB · Views: 32
Last edited:
anyway the whitby custom show was looming and that was the target to get this thing out, my son was really having second thoughts thinking people would laugh at its rawness but we knew they are the ones that just dont get "it" , front wings were chopped about the night before the show and fitted along with running boards knocked out from scaffolding board, run over with a burning gun to age them a bit, no windows and pretty cold it had its test drive over the north york moors and to the show

Attachments

• IMG_0631.jpg
    IMG_0631.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_0632.jpg
    IMG_0632.jpg
    112.3 KB · Views: 40
  • DSC00627.jpg
    DSC00627.jpg
    89.3 KB · Views: 33
  • DSC00625.jpg
    DSC00625.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 38
  • DSC00656.jpg
    DSC00656.jpg
    38.8 KB · Views: 31
Last edited:
You worked wonders with that body. Nice chassis under it now too. I enjoyed your narrative. Brittish English and American English are quite different, eh?

So 10 hp means 10 taxable hp right? Trying to understand the british nomenclature.

I read somewhere how the Ford Model A was a flop in England at the time because it had 40 hp - a reckless and unnecessary amount, resulting in high taxes.

Love it !! [cl[cl

At first I thought you were working on a flying car with the reference to " wings " [S . Need to study up on the Brit automotive terms, I guess.
Come to think of it, some of our slang may seem funny on the other side of the pond too....:eek:

Love it !! [cl[cl

At first I thought you were working on a flying car with the reference to " wings " [S . Need to study up on the Brit automotive terms, I guess.
Come to think of it, some of our slang may seem funny on the other side of the pond too....:eek:

you cant even begin to imagine the schoolboy sniggering that is heard when a "fanny pack" is mentioned haha, so yep we do have different terms, a bonnet is a hood, a boot is the trunk,silencer is a muffler (not needed with v8s as everyone likes the music) a cigarette is a fag, your lucky to have so much choice of tin over there I want to build a forties waggon rat next like a massive eyesore to really wind the shiney car people up

So 10 hp means 10 taxable hp right? Trying to understand the british nomenclature.

I read somewhere how the Ford Model A was a flop in England at the time because it had 40 hp - a reckless and unnecessary amount, resulting in high taxes.

british cars were very expensive and imports would probably be even more so, I think brit cars from years ago were made small just to make them cheaper

I really like that car,very sinister and cool looking.Great job and great narrative
also.

Latest posts

Back