1936 chevy build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
finally, ia have a brake setup that works and fits in my tiny ass cowl. i welded the pivot into some 2x4 to make it stronger and then that to the frame. you can see it in the roughed in state in the first pic. the setup goes on the outside of the framerail so i can have room for the go pedal. while i was doing that my parter in crime got the wleds from the chop and channel smooth as butter. of course he picked a nice shade of green to inhibit the rust.

truckbuild064.jpg

truckbuild065.jpg

truckbuild067.jpg

truckbuild066.jpg

killer score on the tools!! The truck looks like it is comming along great! I still want to come check that thing out some time. Maybe after the first of the year. U get the tires and wheels from coker?

sub-floor is done finally, its hard to ge a setup thats at least half comfortable and make it work with the pedals and colum with so litle room. i still gotta go my tunnel but im going to wait to figure out how tall im going to go with it. i got my speedway colum in and mounted my moon flake wheel to it. if anyone is curious, i used the corvair mount from ccr to mount my box. funny story about that...i made a pretty kickass mount out of some 1/4" plate i had and got all the angles just right, super sturdy. while i was welding it all up i had a weird amount of smoke and spatter. it kept bugging me until i finally decided that i must have used a weird alloy or something. so i thought, f it, one hit with a hammer in the vise and this thing will break for sure. well, about 100 blows with a 2 lb. deadblow later i had a slightly bend and not broken mount. dammit. next time ill trust myself more.

truckbuild071.jpg

truckbuild072.jpg

truckbuild073.jpg

truckbuild075.jpg

Finnaly got time to take some pictures! it seems like every week is a holiday or someones birthday. ive been getting stuff done i just havnt updated in a while.
i made some end caps for my frame and smoothed them in, and found an upper steering arm under the work bench and prettied it up a little.
truckbuild009.jpg

truckbuild011.jpg

i also got my steering box mounted and my colum pretty much done. its a good feeling to turn the wheel and watch the wheels move.
truckbuild010.jpg

truckbuild012.jpg

truckbuild013.jpg

i also got started on my floors, they should be done this week.
truckbuild014.jpg

also, as you might notice, i chopped off the spring perch i had before and made another, i questined the way the other was welded on so this one has alot more weld area, and nice gussets underneath. still gotta smooth it out a little more but you get the idea.

main floor is just about done, now i gotta do the tunnel and seat back area. i know the tunnel is crazy high but it should play out nicely. the idea is to have the seat backs kind of flow into the tunnel from the door frame. the idea is for it to act like bolsters to keep you from sliding. its kinda neat how it seperates the driver and passenger, almost kinda cockpit feeling. not to mention the tunnel is the perfect hight as an armrest, and will be complete with reverse speed blisters for your elbow and forearm.

Attachments

• truck build 016.jpg
    truck build 016.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 93
  • truck build 017.jpg
    truck build 017.jpg
    104.7 KB · Views: 87
What year front end are you using? As for the disc conversion is that a kit? Do you know if 37 drum brakes will work on a 36 axle. Im trying to get away from mechanical brakes. PM me when you get a chance. Thanks

the front end is ford, because the transverse leaf configuration in my opinion looks better than the gm parallel leaf. the spindles are 37-41 style and will accept any brakes from 37 to 48 i believe. if you have a 36 ford axle, then yes the 37 drums will fit, or you could go lincoln backing plates and run some pretty buick finned drums. as for the disk kit, its from speedway and comes with gm metric rotors,calipers, and caliper brckets for 37-48 spindles. the key is the machined adapter that slips over the spindle to form the surface the inner wheel bearing rides on. seems like a good kit, just not all that cool looking.
i dont love it but it was free and should stop real nice. i may try and do something like so-cal speed does to hide the setup.

So what year Lincoln backing plates will work?? And what year Buick Drums? Your set up doesnt look bad its just a little open. Great deal on the brakes though. Thanks for the info.

Dang....your gonna be beating the crap out of your arms with such a giant trans tunnel.:eek:
I always like to have some sort of room to get with the old lady at the drive in or just out somewhere. Overall, that is one great build you have going there. The trans tunnel is out of place with the rest of your build. Don't meen to sound like a dark cloud, but honestly, maybe half the size would fit and compliment the cab area.:rolleyes:

Maximo

Nice

I think your build is pretty good. Great stance, great craftsmanship, good build all around. getter finished for the spring and enjoy. P.S. ask MAXIMO what he has built lately and to post his project. I have been here awhile and have yet to see him build anything, it seem he has alot of comments and no action. Oh about or trans tunnel, your not building a Lincoln town car, makes driving more fun:D

Curt

Latest posts

Back