1936 chevy low cab build 1.5T

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks everyone! as always appreciate you guys sticking with me on this crazy drawn out build.. I guess this is what happens when you only work on it a few hours a week. Although, dad has been putting in some serious hours this summer. My goal is to go for a nice long ride before my birthday... which is September 25th.. I think I can make it.. as long as I get the brakes sorted. Hopefully, I will get the other two tires mounted this weekend.

Not sure what I will do with all my mental free time when the truck is done.. I have basically been building the truck in my head for the last 8 years.. :eek:

That's easy. You're going to need another project. You need the mental challenge and we need the inspiration.

I am certainly inspired by the lighted levels and the console.

Heh...bubble level parts for lights...You sir are a definite outside the box thinker![P

Thanks guys! Glad you enjoy the details

Jfg... Not so much as bubble parts for lights... But more of I wanted the level for making sure I'm not riding crooked... Making it light up... That's just for fun!

Well sat down to re build the power steering pump last night... I think I found the problem

That's the pressure plate split in two... I have another pump and I believe the parts are interchangeable from different years????

Last edited:
Also wanted to throw this photo up... Dad sent it to me... He is doing a really nice job getting these old rims smoothed out and painted

That split plate might drop the pressure just a little.

Your dad does good work. Make sure you cherish your time with him.
I wish my dad was still here to share with.

thanks guys.. i do enjoy the time with my dad, it has been really fun. We dont always see eye to eye on things and we can get a little heated sometimes but we always work it out.

Pretty productive weekend.

Got the other two tires mounted. I cheated a little on the power steering pump rebuild.. not sure why i had not tried this before.. [S

I had a second pump but the case was different and would prevent me from mounting to the bracket I made. So I pulled the whole pump assembly out of the spare pump and installed it into the other case I needed. I did open it up to look at the pressure plate and it all looked nice and clean. I did change all the case seals since I had new ones, although the old ones looked to be fine.

Installed my upper header panel

I have been having some trouble with the weather pack style connector I installed for connecting the switches from the cab section to the frame section.. This bit me pretty bad.. I had checked them.. they were all working fine but then I was underneath and noticed I had wrapped it around an airline funny and disconnected it and straightened it back out... Didnt check the connection and pulled out of the garage. Up to the front drive way with my buddy in the passenger seat. Well I aired out.. and then couldn't get air back into the front driver side bag... I ended up just jumping over the connector to get air back in the bag. So needless to say I ordered a new connector and first on the agenda is to redo the connection...

It was worth it though my buddy was laughing and smiling so hard when I laid it down...

I also need to tackle the weep from the gas tank... I have been putting just a bit of gas in it.. well chalk this up to the third time I have ran out of gas :D

Now that the brakes are working nice.. I was getting on it harder and when I braked into the corner all the gas sloshed and I stalled it out.. oops

But it allowed for a nice photo op... my buddy took some nice shots while we waited for the rescue team with the gas... she a little high in the back... but i figured it was best not to play with the switches till i sort out the issue...

Heres another short video.. Does anyone know how to change the upload settings to not compress the video resolution so bad?
http://vid385.photobucket.com/album...2-F03D-416B-8222-463A48FF2A91_zpsx9gznpx1.mp4

On another note.. the first show I had been planing on taking it to.. sounds like I wont be allowed in.. I think that will be a common occurrence for me.. oh well I built it for me and not really to show anyway

I'm (more likely dad) is going to need too repaint the front rims.. the gloss levels is different between the front and rear rims..

Anyway.. Im dangerously close from really getting it out of the neighborhood.. Im sure the neighbors were loving my hot laps.. I know the dogs sure seemed to hate it.. lol

Thanks guys!

Im sure the neighbors were loving my hot laps.. I know the dogs sure seemed to hate it.. lol

Thanks guys!

As long as your neighbor there, second house on the left in the video, as long as he doesn't get upset, you should be fine. ;)

I was thinking the same thing on the PS pump. If you had another one, just swap the reservoir over to the good pump. As for the tank, maybe just POR-15 it?

Why won't the show let you in? That's a restoration/street rod/race car if I've ever seen one.

"No vehicles with more than four tires"

it says you can email photos and see if the will let you in... I might.. Otherwise u can still go an you are allowed to park in the "friends" section that seems kinda crappy to me... Cause u can park ur brand new mustang in that section too...

8liter...As far as the tank... It's somehow working through one of the old rolled seams... I'm thinking that we can just putty the seam from the inside...

One other little detail u can see in the photo where I'm filling it up. I finally badged her... Put the original badge from the hood side on the tail gate.... Subtle but I think it's nice

Corpo, get you a quart of RedKote and coat the inside of the gas tank. I did my Lincoln tank last year and it hasn't leaked a drop since, just did the tank on my farm tractor last weekend. Just follow the instructions on the can and it will work fine. O'reilley's has it in stock if there is one near you.

Make a special pair of wide rear wheels just for those shows?

Nahhhh I built it how I wanted it... Not going to make changes to be allowed into shows..

Yours wouldn't be allowed in either(no aluminum wheels... No low profile tires...)
I think it says nothing over 16" unless it was original to the car... I guess I just had not realized how stick the rules for entry was..

It's only funny cause It seems mine is too custom and then my dads 57 isn't custom enough... Post 48 cars must have at least two exterior modifications...

Corpo, get you a quart of RedKote and coat the inside of the gas tank. I did my Lincoln tank last year and it hasn't leaked a drop since, just did the tank on my farm tractor last weekend. Just follow the instructions on the can and it will work fine. O'reilley's has it in stock if there is one near you.

Yeah I have read on that stuff but I have also read a lot of horror stories about how the ethanol in the gas will cause it to fail... Whether a year or 5 years it's seems to be just a matter of time...

Weird car show. There must be others near you?

I used RedKote on the Ranch Wagon tank. The local radiator / gas tank repair shop said he uses it all the time and has never had any come backs with it. I haven't put any gas in the tank though. I'll let you know how well it works in about 5 years.

I have used an epoxy putty made for gas tank repairs on a couple pin holes. I don't think it's leaking yet.

What kind of putty will you use that won't deteriorate in a few years?

Yours wouldn't be allowed in either(no aluminum wheels... No low profile tires...)
I think it says nothing over 16" unless it was original to the car... I guess I just had not realized how stick the rules for entry was..

Them Basteeerrrrrdddddssss!

Corpo, even experienced builders will spend much time appreciating all the touches!
I'm with others here. Blow the show that has anything to do with rats that won't let this truck in....

Latest posts

Back