1936 chevy low cab build 1.5T

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I like those trucks. Here are a few pics of ones that caught my eyes this year.

Attachments

• 20230819_111200.jpg
    20230819_111200.jpg
    219.9 KB · Views: 14
  • 20230819_111220.jpg
    20230819_111220.jpg
    178.8 KB · Views: 9
  • 20230805_104437.jpg
    20230805_104437.jpg
    177.7 KB · Views: 10
  • 20230805_104513.jpg
    20230805_104513.jpg
    159.8 KB · Views: 10
Little something to do in your spare time. Looks good.

Bob! I thought about you on the drive out there as we went through Minnesota, I thought to myself, I wonder how Bob is and how far we are from his place. I just looked, not far at all...I went and got the truck out of Bismark ND, it was quite a haul, but everything around here was rotten bad. Those photos are the good side.. the rear quarter on the other side is really wrinkled but in my mind I can straighten it out. There is very little rot on this truck and I really wanted a tailgate truck rather than Barn doors.. most I was finding had barn doors. I was also shocked how much these old carryalls have been going for. This is actually one of the cheapest ones I had seen. Its a good thing I don't factor in the cost to go get it as part of its cost :)

I like those trucks. Here are a few pics of ones that caught my eyes this year.

Blue and white is where I am heading, this truck is actually blue with a white top.. the cream color is on top of the paint. I am going to lightly sand through the cream and see what I can save .. Hoping to do a patina ride.. at least for now. Im trying to talk myself out of going crazy and not bagging it.. But I kinda want to. Definitely want to do big smooth wheels with old caps like that one truck.

Not that my first build wasn't slow.. but this one will be too. I have a million projects going on with the schoolhouse I'm working on, but the boss gave me the go-ahead to buy this so I did. Believe it or not its a runner. We drove it onto the trailer, I drove it up and down the driveway last night.. I had no idea how much gas is in it... so I didn't want to venture to far. Had lots of other things going on yesterday and breaking down on the side of the road wasn't on the schedule.

The guy I got it from had like 15 C10s in his back yard all 60-66 trucks, he had one other carryall shell, I peaked in and it had the original front seat, I said "oh man its got the original seat" he said you want it? I said definitely, he said you can have it.

I think Ideally I wanted a 62 but this one will do, its also a factory AC truck.. so that could be nice if I can get all that working at some point in the future. Ill post up some more pictures. I don't know if Ill start a build thread on it or not, or just post a few things up in here.. Like I said the schoolhouse consumes most of my free time currently. Just broke the welder out for the first time in years to build a custom chimney cap and weld on some old cast iron posts ... felt good to mess with the welder.

hope everyone is well

Some glamour shots… I drove around the yard a bit.. first time I have ever had something with a column shift

Attachments

• IMG_1809.jpg
    IMG_1809.jpg
    219.8 KB · Views: 21
  • IMG_1816.jpg
    IMG_1816.jpg
    223.3 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_1813.jpg
    IMG_1813.jpg
    222.7 KB · Views: 24
If you are considering a frame swap, the. Chevy trailblazer is supposedly the way to go. George Poteet had one done several years ago. He drove it everywhere. You can probably find it on the internet.

Plans as of now…

I need to straighten out the other quarter panel… let me show u guys what I have been hiding…

- Get the lights working… I might just rewire the whole thing off the bat…
- rear gate latching…
- new wheels and tires… I need to figure out sizing. I’m leaning towards big smooth wheels that I can run old school hubcaps on
- I’m going to sand the cream color off it’s blue underneath with a white top… not 100% sure what that quarter will end up looking like but we will find out. All the metal is there no rot…worst case I’ll cut it off and run it through a planishing hammer to smooth it all out and weld it back on … maybe????
- disk brake conversion on the front… maybe rear too
- lower it… I want to put it on air but probably not for a while.
-re-upholster the front seat… and find a rear seat. The point of this build will be a family cruiser.. I have a full set of seats from a 4 door 57 Chevy, might be able to make something work from those.
- I have no plans to paint it… but part of that is dependent on how the patina ends up
- all new window and door seals too

Long term plans besides air suspension get the ac working since it’s a rare factory option

Flipper… had not considered a frame swap… but you never know… that’s a good looking truck.

Attachments

• IMG_1277.jpg
    IMG_1277.jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 12
I doubt anybody makes a bed side for it, but a LWB pickup bedside should be close enough for patch panels.

Yeah no one does… the lower bedside will work… the bedsides are two piece where the carryall is one piece … we will see what happens when I start pulling and hammering on it…

I should have brought a battery operated cut off wheel… I think I could have talked the guy I got it from into letting me cut the side off the other truck he had.. he said he was holding onto it for the roof…for a future 6 door truck build… by time we started messing with the parts truck we were loosing the light and he had somewhere to go otherwise I would have ran and bought one…

I did just spot a carryall shell at an auction … it’s currently only $110… ends today… it’s only 12.5 hours from here [S

I’m going to look for transport wheels forThe truck, they are close to the look I was planning and seem to be significantly lower cost then Detroit steel wheel co.

Several sets local but they are all 22s I want to double check on overall diameter before I go 22. I had been thinking 20s… the big er the wheel tire the more work to get it sitting right (low) :)

I thought all "transport wheels" were 22's.

What is a transport wheel? A semi truck wheel? If that is what you mean, there are a lot of different sizes of them. 19.5, 20, 22, 22.5, 24, 24.5 could all be considered semi truck wheels. Then ya got 6 bolt, 8 bolt, and 10 bolt wheels to confuse even more. Ya gotta be more particular for us dense headed old guys, lol!:rolleyes:

What is a transport wheel? A semi truck wheel? If that is what you mean, there are a lot of different sizes of them. 19.5, 20, 22, 22.5, 24, 24.5 could all be considered semi truck wheels. Then ya got 6 bolt, 8 bolt, and 10 bolt wheels to confuse even more. Ya gotta be more particular for us dense headed old guys, lol!:rolleyes:

"Transport wheels" are the chevrolet made 22" steel wheels. They were installed on fancy trucks at the factory so that the fancy big aluminum wheels could not get damaged before they arrived at the dealership. They were supposed to be returned to the factory and re-used over and over.

I think every set you see on a hot rod are technically stolen.

I thought all "transport wheels" were 22's.

You might be right, the other ones I was thinking of I believe are spare tire rims on some factory trucks they are 20x8, the transport wheels are 22x9

Attachments

• IMG_1425.jpg
    IMG_1425.jpg
    61.7 KB · Views: 12
Here’s the transport wheels… and a c10 with them..

Attachments

• IMG_1426.jpg
    IMG_1426.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 11
  • IMG_1427.jpeg
    IMG_1427.jpeg
    45.4 KB · Views: 13
"I think every set you see on a hot rod are technically stolen.

One of the websites I was looking at to understand the fitment on the C10s had a post from a GM tech that said some GM dealerships will sell them to you that there is a “core charge” for them $1,000…

Then another place said something about dealership were supposed to cut them up… so I don’t know… they are all over the place easy to come by…

Latest posts

Back