1936 chevy low cab build 1.5T

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
sam you read my mind.. i was thinking about that very thing as I laid in bed last night..

I think Im going to see what sort of a step/visual break I can save from either my fenders or running boards and see what I can work out.. cut it so it curves with the side of the cab.. The running boards have the same body line as the cab so that might be interesting..

fun fact.. your car is currently my wallpaper.. been that way for a few weeks

Heres 1 in up
1inup.jpg

Heres the front shot 1" up
1inupfront.jpg

so here was a quick mock up with a swooping side I could have done a better job taking the picture so you can see the swoop up to the cut out for the axle... I duno.. just thinking.. i should have set a pocket in place
fillerpanel.jpg

I like the 1" up because the top of the bed rail matches up with the raised up body line on the back of the cab and the bottom of the bed rail matches up with the lower portion of the same line on the door in the 1/4 view.

I also like the swooped bedside and would love to see the stake pocket over the 4-link mout idea...although it's sad to cover up such a cool looking mount.

-Chaz

Ok, crappiest photo work ever, but I think the Idea would work hiding the pivots inside the stake pocket. I also like the idea of the stepped lower filler panel you are doing. Keeps the bed from looking "fat" as I had stated earlier. Looks good!

Attachments

• fillerpanel.jpg
    fillerpanel.jpg
    95.9 KB · Views: 92
Yeah - that is pretty bad. [ddd I gotta agree with Chaz, it'd be sad to hide those 4-link brackets. But I like the idea of the stake pockets too. I'm almost glad it's not my decision!

Thanks for all the input guys and special thanks for that sweet Photoshop job Jfg!

I dont know about the pocket pan yet.. Im currently rebuilding the pockets.. then I will build the sides... Ill mess around with placement then. I dont really want to cover the plate on the out side of my 4 link.. ties the design of the front suspension to the rear.. I also think it may look odd not having the pocket at the corner of the bed... We will see

Maybe slide the pocket forward so that just the bracket is showing behind the stake pocket (and NO I am not going to make another photo shop art piece!)[cl

in fact there is some updates.. The bed sides are now made from steel instead of cardboard and they are mounted

Ill try to get some pics up soon, i ended up going as high as i could with the sides but didnt want to change my tank location... so that dictated the height..

look for some pics tomorrow

Here ya go...

Heres what I had to do to the pockets to rebuild them the two rear pockets were in bad shape..
Rotrepair.jpg

Heres what was left of the bed, u can see I repaired all the pockets i still need to smooth out all the welds..
Parts.jpg

Heres a rear shot
rearshot.jpg

Side shot
side2.jpg

Still lots of work to do, the pockets are just clamped in place but the sides are mounted Im going to narrow the flanges on the pockets before I put them back on. Then I have to decide if I am going to fab a tailgate from what is left of the front bed panel or try and find one...

I really like the truck , also the bed sides look great . I think a decent old tailagate is in order to go along with the overall good looks of the truck . Looks Great ... Hammer Down !! [cl

Hey Corpo.

Can you give me a measurement of the width of yer dually tires. Outside to outside and the wheelbase? Just curious as it looks similar to mine. Great build!![cl RR

I really like the truck , also the bed sides look great . I think a decent old tailagate is in order to go along with the overall good looks of the truck . Looks Great ... Hammer Down !! [cl

I would like an old GMC gate with the script letters.. dont know if I will be able to track one down

Thanks for the update and new pictures. Work is 1st class. Continues to be one of my favorite builds. Now one of top three.

honored...

here ya go Rodney

-Outside width 79ish(this will be reduced by an inch or 2 when i get the proper tires)

-wheel base is 124

Thanks everyone

Latest posts

Back