1936 DiamondT meets 1978 Dodge motorhome

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hey,

I'm building a 48 Dodge open wheeled thing and ran across your build.

I'm planning to use a 440. Have fired your engine at your place in your endeavor ?

Interested to see your ride progress.

POPS

WOW, very interesting build this! I have a '79 Dodge Cube Van 1 ton that 'had' a 440 and a 727 tranny in it. It ran pretty good as much as I ran it. I'm using it for the box for storage. When I bought it originally, I had thought about seperating the box and the chassis/motor and building something like? this. BUT, avarice got to me and I sold the motor/tranny to a young man to use in his Jeep. Also, the way the box is built on/into the frame precludes seperating them and still having both units usable! It isn't a box set on top of the frame as I had expected, but rather, enmeshed right into the framework. BAH. Still have the rig minus the engine and tranny though!

Driving

I got it out in the driveway and drove it around. The brake pedal is a little squishy. working on adjusting the proportioning valve. bleeding the brake lines.
I realized that the bracket for the brake pedal/master cylinder is hanging down a little too low. [S
I ordered a new bearing that is 'self aligning' for the steering wheel shaft. the wheel is shifting around in the bearing housing- not ideal:eek:
Overall, it's getting closer. it's registered for a show in June.

Attachments

• photo(4).jpg
    photo(4).jpg
    183.9 KB · Views: 137
  • photo(5).jpg
    photo(5).jpg
    167.1 KB · Views: 110
progress

glad to see it on the road(sorta)[cl

what show in june, if they'll have me l'll bring one of my wrecks[cl

l will try to do some shows in the PDX area this year, l wanta see this truck in person:D

Later :cool:

dmv today

trailered it to the dmv today. It is a HEAVY sucker.
Huge thanks to my friend/neighbor Larry for hauling it up there for me and waiting patiently in line with me:D

things went well there, I guess. The first person got confused and punted it off to a more senior person. They took my money and gave me a 'transaction submitted' paper. I gotta wait and see what the review at headquarters says. I'm hoping for an assembled vehicle title in the mail. (or a replica 1948 Diamond T truck title) at this point it's in the air.

Fingers crossed.:cool:

Attachments

• photo(8).jpg
    photo(8).jpg
    184.4 KB · Views: 74
  • photo(6).jpg
    photo(6).jpg
    180.3 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:
Awesome

Wow glad to see you getting this close. I see you got the radiator figured out and it looks good. That cowl steering is looking sweat. Does the power steering work good?

More pic's. [cl[cl[cl[cl

Kurt

What show? Got to it with the bed.

Congrats

Glad to see you're progressing.
DMV let you start your registration without headlights or windshield?
How does it run?
Keep after it.

power steering

Kurt,
you were right about the power steering. I haven't even hooked up the pump and put fluid in it and I don't need it for sure. It steers fine without it.
I think I'll just pull the pump off and hoses and plug the holes in the box.

I actually am looking for a mustang radiator still, the universal one is still on there and looking too wide;)
I'm a little cash starved right now. Still have to put a windshield in it.

I'm looking for tools to sell.

Glad to see you're progressing.
DMV let you start your registration without headlights or windshield?
How does it run?
Keep after it.

Yup. It just has to be 'substantially complete', I'm not even required to have a windshield, But I do have to have a windhsield wiper. Go figure:confused::confused:

It will have both. but the wiper will be manual. I'm not planning a lot of rain driving. I'll put rain-x on the windshield and that should take care of any precip.

It actually runs really well. I have some bad valve cover oil leaks, so I tried tightening the bolts and BROKE ONE!!!!!!!! Ugh. I'm trying to extract it, but now I broke the extractor and I'm thinking I'll have to pull the head and take it to the machine shop.
anyone tried to dremel a slot in a bolt like this and use a screw driver to back it out?

I've gotten them out with a center punch and hammer.
Tap around the edge of the bolt in the direction to unscrew it.
Dremel should work to by slotting it. Slot the direction of the gasket runner and the gasket will still seal.
Use grade 8 bolts and you won't have that trouble again ;)

Radiator

Try the center punch thing after heating it with your torch! What's the measurements on your radiator? I'm looking to buy a universal right now. The huge PIR swap meet is next weekend, there will be a radiator there for sure just bring some measurements.

I'll be picking up the finishings of my truck there too, headlights, gauges, gas pedal, seats maybe, and a radiator there or from summit if I don't buy yours.

Glad the steering worked out, sure looks cool!

Kurt

still no title from the dmv:confused::confused:

I hope they come through, and don't make me jump through any more hoops.

I think I got the steering figured out. I think it would have been simpler to just change the angle of the steering box instead of putting the joint on the steering to angle the steering wheel up.

It looks a bit ?? but it will work. it's solid and doesn't shift.

got the wiring mostly done. just need to connect the wires to the turn signals. headlights and taillights work.

if I get the title, I should be able to get insurance on it and hit the road.
any advice on insurance? hagerty?
liability only? or stated value?

Attachments

• photo(9).JPG
    photo(9).JPG
    125 KB · Views: 71
  • photo(8).JPG
    photo(8).JPG
    153.1 KB · Views: 72
Try drilling the valve cover bolt with a left hand drill bit. A lot of times they will catch and thread the bolt back out.

Title!!

I finally got the title. They titled it as a 1948 diamond t truck
with 'REPLICA' in the branded section.
I'm very happy with this. They let me use the VIN from the motorhome, so I'll take the vin plate from the motorhome (it was on the body which is long gone) and put it on the Diamond T body.
Registered it with a 1948 Oregon plate, it should work out now. I can get insurance and finish the wiring for the turn signals, and it's ready to go.

Taking it to the Sherwood Oregon car show Father's day weekend with my son. we're pumped!!:D:D

Latest posts

Back