1936 Dodge Pkup....soon ta be RatRod

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

InkSlinger

Banned
Well I jumped in with both feet..hope not in over my head. I bought the 36 Dodge pkup. Its a 1 1/2 Ton cab an chassis. Cab is in GREAT shape. Windshield and back glass are both unbroken! Grill housing is in pretty good shape and the grill insert is trash. Only one head light is there and the fenders are pretty bad shape. I will post pics as soon as I figure out how. (any help here would be preciated)
Now is the hard part. Deciding WHAT to do. DO I need to build a frame...buy another...shorten this one? WOW. It has a flathead six and tranny in it...condition of both is uncertain. I know it will have a V8...of at least that I am certain. If I pull it off this frame and sell it (frame) is it actually worth someone buying? It is a dually and all rims are there. Neat old HUGE five lug pattern.
SO many questions and I am such a freekn NEWBIE. I will have some help from a brother...we all know how easy it is to work with our brother huh? LOL

I have WANTED to do this for 20 plus years and I feel if not now then WHEN soooooo....

In advance I want all to know ANY help is so very greatly preciated and hope to one day be able to offer any scraps of advice I may have also.

Everbody cross your fingers for me and keep me in your prayers over the next couple years ok?

Thanks to all
Rebel

Well the first thing you need to do is just browse threw your brain and decide exactly what you want. My first idea is use your frame you need to check out CORPOS 37 chevy 1.5ton build I dont know how to make a link to it but right now it is on the build section on page 2. He used his frame and some great ideas that would be such a help for you right now.[;)

well its a 36.. but close! the link is in my signature

im not sure about those old dodges.. but did that old boy have mechanical brakes? Also the gearing will be awful in the old rear end...

But honestly if i were doing it again... i would probably build a new frame... maybe just save the front frame horns...

As far as if the chassis is worth anything.. probably not.. unless someone is looking for it.. i frequent a restoration forum.. and some times i see people giving away the big frames and people still wont take them....

I bought some more rims for my truck.. paid $10 a piece..... which was basically the scrap value of them cause thats where they were going...

When your posting, click the little paperclip icon. It'll bring up the 'Manage Attachments' page and you can upload pics off your computer. There are size limits though...

Obviously, I wanna see some pictures! :D

Sorry about the year mix up on CORPO's build I knew it was a mid to late 30's But I love the idea of the original frame on the big trucks Expecially When they leave the dually.

Think about what you want , and then build what you wanted . Strike up a game plan then try to follow it as closely as you can , then before you know it you're driVing your dream ! Good luck on your build

Have fun with it.

I mean it sounds like you have thought about it but don't over think it. I do that some times and things get weird and I almost lose it. As my grandpa always said when you fall down it might not look like you meant to hurt yourself but you did. So you did it right. lol. I love that one. Good old grandpa.[;)

Well I jumped in with both feet..hope not in over my head. I bought the 36 Dodge pkup. Its a 1 1/2 Ton cab an chassis. Cab is in GREAT shape. Windshield and back glass are both unbroken! Grill housing is in pretty good shape and the grill insert is trash. Only one head light is there and the fenders are pretty bad shape. I will post pics as soon as I figure out how. (any help here would be preciated)
Now is the hard part. Deciding WHAT to do. DO I need to build a frame...buy another...shorten this one? WOW. It has a flathead six and tranny in it...condition of both is uncertain. I know it will have a V8...of at least that I am certain. If I pull it off this frame and sell it (frame) is it actually worth someone buying? It is a dually and all rims are there. Neat old HUGE five lug pattern.
SO many questions and I am such a freekn NEWBIE. I will have some help from a brother...we all know how easy it is to work with our brother huh? LOL

I have WANTED to do this for 20 plus years and I feel if not now then WHEN soooooo....

In advance I want all to know ANY help is so very greatly preciated and hope to one day be able to offer any scraps of advice I may have also.

Everbody cross your fingers for me and keep me in your prayers over the next couple years ok?

Thanks to all
Rebel

I have a 37 & a 38 and my idea is to use the frame and throw a late model dually rear end under it.

Attachments

• Vintage Tin091.jpg
    Vintage Tin091.jpg
    127.6 KB · Views: 65
  • Vintage Tin092.jpg
    Vintage Tin092.jpg
    107.8 KB · Views: 60
  • Vintage Tin093.jpg
    Vintage Tin093.jpg
    117.8 KB · Views: 68
choices

You certinaly do have lots of choices . First one , If your girlfriend really hates rats, what do you want more , her or the rat . One or the other is gonna suffer if you try to do both . Next choice is , with or with out fenders . Next choice is where are you gonna work on it -her place or yours -either way she is gonna be ignored for many many months while you build it . Next choice is money , do you have a stash of used parts out back or will you have too buy everything ,do you have the tools necessary to build a vehicle from scratch , welder ,chop saw, hand tools , jacks, stands , clamps , engine hoist , metal working tools , shrinker stretcher , brake ,plasma cutter, the list is endless here ,what you don't own you will need to borrow. The friends who have the tools you will need too borrow , should have the experience needed to help you out .Lots too think about here .

Mine is a 38

I started with a 1.5 ton Dodge. I kicked around the idea of keeping the big frame and running a dully but then changed my mind. and it is what it is. You will soon figure out how you want it to look surf the forum and you will start to see things you like on other peoples rods and make them your own ideas by tweeking them around in your head. thats what i have done. Remember anything you can think of can be made from metal its just figuring out how!!

before
SSPX0225-1.jpg

After

short2.jpg

It is good to have an idea of where you want your build to end. But it will also change as you go. Some ideas don't end up working or looking quit right. You will need at least the basic tools. Plasma cutter would be great, but I don't have one either. Some tools make the job easier, that doesn't mean you have to have them. Welder, grinder, jigsaw, bench grinder will do a lot of stuff. Helping hands from friends would be great! But alas, I don't have that either. Forums like this one and car magazines such as Kar Kulture Deluxe, "Ol Skool Rods will help along the way as well. It never hurts to go on here and start a build thread. People will offer there opinions as you go.
Go out and get dirty, the rest you'll figure out as you go.

Dodge has always been unique with style. I have a 33 Dodge PU project that I just couldn't resist doing for the style of it.

My best advice right now is don't throw nuthin away! There just ain't no tellin what ya might use. Like fer Xample the wheels--I'm betting they are 20" or so--Theres a load of modern 20" lightweight rubber anymore.. Even if you use a modern 1/2 ton rear axle--you might use some modern lightweight rubber and fab up and adapter, and have some really special wheels....Just a maybeso forexample kinda thing, but ya get the idea..

There ain't no culls..

PA41

Um...well um...dude that is just a signature line...meant to be funny...ya know? haha..funny stuff?

I am 47. I have my own home and I have a big brother with a very nice pretty complete shop...and he is a gearhead sooooo....

I am taking this build seriously. I will not rush it. If it takes a couple years then so be it. In my present career I spend countless hours away from the loved ones in my life...I plan to cut into THOSE hours and NOT from my loved ones.

Sorry but I preciate most of the posts on here but your just seemed to be negative. Dude dont tell me what I cant do...you may be interestingly enough surprised.

Thanks anyway
Rebel

You certinaly do have lots of choices . First one , If your girlfriend really hates rats, what do you want more , her or the rat . One or the other is gonna suffer if you try to do both . Next choice is , with or with out fenders . Next choice is where are you gonna work on it -her place or yours -either way she is gonna be ignored for many many months while you build it . Next choice is money , do you have a stash of used parts out back or will you have too buy everything ,do you have the tools necessary to build a vehicle from scratch , welder ,chop saw, hand tools , jacks, stands , clamps , engine hoist , metal working tools , shrinker stretcher , brake ,plasma cutter, the list is endless here ,what you don't own you will need to borrow. The friends who have the tools you will need too borrow , should have the experience needed to help you out .Lots too think about here .

It is good to have an idea of where you want your build to end. But it will also change as you go. Some ideas don't end up working or looking quit right. You will need at least the basic tools. Plasma cutter would be great, but I don't have one either. Some tools make the job easier, that doesn't mean you have to have them. Welder, grinder, jigsaw, bench grinder will do a lot of stuff. Helping hands from friends would be great! But alas, I don't have that either. Forums like this one and car magazines such as Kar Kulture Deluxe, "Ol Skool Rods will help along the way as well. It never hurts to go on here and start a build thread. People will offer there opinions as you go.
Go out and get dirty, the rest you'll figure out as you go.

See now THIS is what I preciate the most.Thank you very much Bro, it helped alot. If I were close Id help ya just to see the car come together. Again Thanks
Rebel

PA,
Hey I looked at the wheels and they seem to be split rims...Ive heard so many bad stories about them and in my military past saw a soldier lose an arm to a deuce n half tire ring coming off in airup. I do like the style of rim tho.

First Pic

My 36! Cab coming off frame this weekend...I hope! Yay!

Attachments

• my 36.jpg
    my 36.jpg
    215.2 KB · Views: 30
Um...well um...dude that is just a signature line...meant to be funny...ya know? haha..funny stuff?

I am 47. I have my own home and I have a big brother with a very nice pretty complete shop...and he is a gearhead sooooo....

I am taking this build seriously. I will not rush it. If it takes a couple years then so be it. In my present career I spend countless hours away from the loved ones in my life...I plan to cut into THOSE hours and NOT from my loved ones.

Sorry but I preciate most of the posts on here but your just seemed to be negative. Dude dont tell me what I cant do...you may be interestingly enough surprised.

Thanks anyway
Rebel

Sorry you interperted my thoughts as "telling you what you can't do". I was merely pointing out the many things you will incounter as you proceed with your build . Good luck with your endeavor.

Originally Posted by Davidhud29
"You will need at least the basic tools. Plasma cutter would be great, but I don't have one either. Some tools make the job easier, that doesn't mean you have to have them. Welder, grinder, jigsaw, bench grinder will do a lot of stuff. Helping hands from friends would be great! But alas, I don't have that either.

Wow, DavidHud29 - You and I have too much in common! To think after all this time, I thought I was the only person on here in that particular situation.

Everytime I mention needing some help with my rat project, all my local so-called friends around here run like hell back to their street rods like they didn't hear me. Funny thing is - they all seem to have plenty of time to help each other???? I thought car guys were supposed to be there to help a buddy out??? The only help I've ever gotten from anybody was long distance because of this forum and believe me I'm grateful for those guys!

Thunder

Everytime I mention needing some help with my rat project, all my local so-called friends around here run like hell back to their street rods like they didn't hear me. Funny thing is - they all seem to have plenty of time to help each other???? I thought car guys were supposed to be there to help a buddy out??? The only help I've ever gotten from anybody was long distance because of this forum and believe me I'm grateful for those guys!

Thunder[/QUOTE]

Yeah I understand the friends disappearing when YOU need THEM. They always remember me when they need help, but when I need them there always busy.:confused: Not necesarrily with cars but other stuff. Don't really have any friends into cars at all. That's why I appreciate forums like this. [cl

Hope your havin fun on your 36, and you don't mind us posting other stuff not related to your build. :(

Paperwork??

Well after a weekend at the swapmeet I came away with a set of front wire rims...god i hope they can be used...LOL Exactly what I want on the front... May pick up my 8" ford rear axle this weekend...

Gotta figure out what kind of wheel base Im gonna have.... buy the 2x3x3/16...

Is there a formula or sumthn for the angle and length of drop from rear axle down to the "in da weeds" part of the frame?

Im still searchn for a big block dodge motor...where o where are u tonite!!! LOL

The guy I bought it from shocked me...he came by the other day and gave me the "ORIGINAL" title!! Still has three registration receipts attached!! 1946, 47 an 48!

Do I need them? I dont wana try an register it an the state take em away from me...they are too cool. These new Texas titles are freekin FUGLY. Ive seen others with an "assigned vehicle identification" plate attached in some places.

As always I am just askin...hope someone out there has knowledge I can soak in.

Much Respect
Rebel

Latest posts

Back