1936 Packard

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
The pipes have always been in the plan, I've just been holding my cards close :cool:

It's going to be a real pain in the scrote, but I'll make it happen somehow.... [S

Is that the "more is better" theory ?

No, just a thought. Now that it's outside, don't change a thing. Looks a lot better when I get a full view of this wild ride. Excellent!

So, you went from this:
attachment.php

To this:
attachment.php

And now you're here:
attachment.php

Wow [dr[cl

It doesn't look anything like the Packard you started with, in the best way!

You need to pose a normal sized person next to it so we can tell its true size.

I'm anxious to see it with a hood top piece.

OK, now you've done it.;) I here by officially announce that I am no longer or for that matter never have been a car builder/body man/tin knocker, I just give up!!!!:rolleyes:

What you have done with that pile you started with and in the time you did it is just beyond anything I can understand.[cl

Fabulous[dr

You need to pose a normal sized person next to it so we can tell its true size.

I'm anxious to see it with a hood top piece.

Hmmm, normal sized....[S well, with it sitting aired down as in the pics, it's 57" high, wheelbase is 120", overall length is 15', it'll be a little longer when the front bumper goes on.

Before making the hood, I need to make hinges for it to lift up at the front. Working from a pic I found online that conveniently had a tape measure in it, I could figure out the scale, so I made a first version with paper and push pins, then made a second from sheet metal, tweaking it to get the movement right. I moves forward and up so there will be no binding or paint chipping (hopefully). Bought some aluminum flat bar and SS hardware today to make the real ones. Once I get them mounted to the firewall, I'll make the hood top framework and latch.

Attachments

• DSC00088.jpg
    DSC00088.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 89
  • DSC00089.jpg
    DSC00089.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 86
  • DSC00070.jpg
    DSC00070.jpg
    126.6 KB · Views: 89
Last edited:
:-O

So, you went from this:
attachment.php

To this:
attachment.php

And now you're here:
attachment.php

Wow [dr[cl

It doesn't look anything like the Packard you started with, in the best way!

You forgot about that one step in the middle...

Bracing ?? I don need no steenkin' bracing !! :D
Took a ton of measurements before any cutting started. I'll assemble the pieces on a dolly beginning with the rear section, welding the shortened rear door pieces in, then put the cowl together, join the rockers then tackle the roof. The Caddy build was a good learning course though rebuilding the rear into a flatback will be an extra wrinkle.
Measure, measure, measure is the rule here, all the way up to doing the doors, there will be tweaking.
Yes, I'll be building a frame, it's just easier than making all the changes I want to do than it is to modify the stocker. That way I can build the frame to fit the modified body and get the ride height I want.

At this point my wife looked out and asked me why I was scrapping this car!! Apparently she doesn't share my vision for the end result.....

attachment.php

This is probably my favorite sequence of build pics...

Attachments

• may 4 2013 36 packard 011.jpg
    may 4 2013 36 packard 011.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 59
  • may 7 2013 36 packard 012.jpg
    may 7 2013 36 packard 012.jpg
    100.2 KB · Views: 55
  • may 7 2013 36 packard 024.jpg
    may 7 2013 36 packard 024.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 63
  • may 7 2013 36 packard 029.jpg
    may 7 2013 36 packard 029.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 61
  • DSC01766.jpg
    DSC01766.jpg
    94.6 KB · Views: 62
  • DSC01955.jpg
    DSC01955.jpg
    75.6 KB · Views: 57
  • DSC00087.jpg
    DSC00087.jpg
    63.5 KB · Views: 72
So this is the progress on the hood hinges and supporting framework, just tacked together so far, changes may happen [S. In case anyone thinks I know what I'm doing here, forget that, I'm just making it up as I go along :confused:. It took a lot of tweaking and running changes to the hinges to get them to move the hood up and forward properly, more fine tuning needed yet, but it does basically work..... I need to hit the boneyard and find a suitable hood latch with a release cable and spring that pops it up when released.

Attachments

• DSC00092.jpg
    DSC00092.jpg
    142.3 KB · Views: 202
  • DSC00093.jpg
    DSC00093.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 88
  • DSC00094.jpg
    DSC00094.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 85
  • DSC00095.jpg
    DSC00095.jpg
    91.9 KB · Views: 86
For somebody that's just making it up as you go...you sure have a good eye!!! Tell me something tho. When those hinges fold to the down position, do you have some sort of indexers on rear section of your hood frame or will the front hood latch suffice in keeping the hood down???

For somebody that's just making it up as you go...you sure have a good eye!!! Tell me something tho. When those hinges fold to the down position, do you have some sort of indexers on rear section of your hood frame or will the front hood latch suffice in keeping the hood down???

Good question. As far as locating it from side to side, the way the hood wraps around the cowl will take care of that, some 1/4" snubbers will be needed between the hood sides and top plus there will be a welting strip that attaches to the rear of the cowl. Though the hinges look like they would lift straight up, they can't, so the rear of the hood isn't going to pop up when latched.

Latest posts

Back