1938 Jr. Packard - So it begins

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Voronov

Hey guys, haven't been on in a while and finally have the rights to my first build thread!

Dropping by this Saturday to pick up this beauty and completely transform it into a monster. Comes with the flathead six (still trying to value to sell due to swappin in a 305), solid frame, body, all the good stuff to get a run on.

I'm REALLY new to this (first build) and I'm far from knowing everything about vehicles. As said in a previous thread of mine, I plan on dropping in a 305 with a 350 turbo transmission. The reason for a 305 vs a 350 is because I want to use it as a daily driver once I complete the rod while still keeping around 200-250hp. I'm used to 4 cylinders but I've been convinced that there's no replacement for displacement!

A concern I'm going to ask about is my transmission choice. I've managed to snipe out a 350 short out of a 87 Buick but I'm trying to squeeze out at least 25mpg highway.

I know absolutely nothing about older suspension and far too little about newer suspension though I've been researching on the topic.

Luckily, I have a mentor in this build who builds hot rods and dragsters. I think our only conflict is budget :D He's used to dropping 5000 into an engine where as I want to trust in the rust so to speak and come out under 2000 (running condition, not including interior work and cosmetics).

She's a 110 jr. packard and I'm getting her for her weight in scrap and ready to travel the rusted yellow brick road!

Attachments

• packard.jpg
    packard.jpg
    27.9 KB · Views: 66
  • packard2.jpg
    packard2.jpg
    23.5 KB · Views: 55
That looks pretty clean [P

Yeah, I was impressed as well. Usually whenever I see 20-40's cars around this area they're just completely rotted through.

I'm searching everywhere for the original engine specifications so I can give an accurate description on it whenever I pull it off and sell, but so far haven't found anything. [S

Love them old Packards. Google the Packard Club, on their data base you will find specs on the engine and lots of other neat stuff.

Much thanks! Found what I needed.

Also had a ear-to-ear grin when I saw their proving grounds gallery.
They've got a 1940 sedan over a foot in the air :D

Latest posts

Back