1939 Plymouth Coupe P8

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well i added some color to the engine by painting a few of the items VHT chrysler red. I think it helps break up the black and adds a nice look to it.

I also mounted the water pump. I used Permatex No. 2 sealant on the threads of the bolts that attach the pump to the block as well as on both sides of the water pump gasket. Will this stuff do the trick? In the past i've used the blue colored RTV but i didn't have any so i figured i'd try the No. 2 sealant. The package said that the No. 2 is good for oil pans and valve cover gaskets, here's a link to the product info page:

http://www.permatex.com/products-2/...ts/permatex-form-a-gasket-no-2-sealant-detail

Thanks guys,

-Chris

Attachments

• IMG_1588.JPG
    IMG_1588.JPG
    133 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_1587.JPG
    IMG_1587.JPG
    129.3 KB · Views: 34
Well i added some color to the engine by painting a few of the items VHT chrysler red. I think it helps break up the black and adds a nice look to it.

I also mounted the water pump. I used Permatex No. 2 sealant on the threads of the bolts that attach the pump to the block as well as on both sides of the water pump gasket. Will this stuff do the trick? In the past i've used the blue colored RTV but i didn't have any so i figured i'd try the No. 2 sealant. The package said that the No. 2 is good for oil pans and valve cover gaskets, here's a link to the product info page:

http://www.permatex.com/products-2/...ts/permatex-form-a-gasket-no-2-sealant-detail

Thanks guys,

-Chris

I use it quite often and always have the same question. I don't think I have ever had it leak. It should work just fine on water pumps. I just used it on my gas tank gasket and drain plug.

Somehow I missed the English wheel - nice job. They are pretty handy to have, 30" throat will be a good size. You will need a helper to wheel anything that big.

Some of used pematex before we could spell RTV, it'll work fine [cl
The engine is looking very nice, and it will fit right in in October. [S

Thanks guys. At least i know that the Permatex will be alright.

As far as the color goes i was hoping that it would have been a bit more red since thats what it says on the damn can. It turned out to be more orange/red which has actually grown on me now. When i first painted the parts i didn't really like it but now that they're assembled on the engine i do.

Thanks for the compliments on the english wheel. Im glad that i have it so i can make pieces for my plymouth and '52 dodge truck. It's something i wanted to build for awhile now but i just never got around to it.

-Chris

Thanks Bruno. Yea, i figured I'd try and break up some of the black with a little color. I think it turned out decent.

-Chris

Thanks Torchie, the e-wheel is something i've wanted to build for a long time now and finally got around to doing it. Im glad i did.

Ratad: Thanks for the compliments i appreciate it. Here comes an update....

So Monday was a snow day for me, i called out of work cause messing around in the shop is way more fun! I reassembled the throttle linkage that i had taken apart and painted (Pics 1-3). I may end up taking it back apart so that i can weld some attachment points for the throttle return springs. The previous owner had the springs barely attached and im surprised they didnt fall off. When i make up these pieces i'll post up more pics and clarify what i did.

I also ran all my sprak plug wires and mounted the carb (Pic 6). Things are getting closer.

I have a question though, i need a place to connect a vacuum line that leads to my wind shield wipers. I placed the fitting into a port that i uncapped on the intake manifold. Pic # 4 shows where i put the fitting. Do you guys think that'll work? Pic # 5 shows where the fitting that ran to the wipers was located on the 201 ci flathead.

Thanks in advance,

-Chris

Attachments

• IMG_1609.JPG
    IMG_1609.JPG
    149 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_1610.JPG
    IMG_1610.JPG
    125.2 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_1611.JPG
    IMG_1611.JPG
    130.5 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_1617.JPG
    IMG_1617.JPG
    133.8 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_1614.JPG
    IMG_1614.JPG
    123.9 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_1618.JPG
    IMG_1618.JPG
    133.1 KB · Views: 39
Both ports are below the carb, so you will be fine. You might want to go junkyard shopping and get a vacuum canister and plumb it inline of the wipers to give it a little reserve so that it doesn't stop working as quick when the vacuum drops.

Both ports are below the carb, so you will be fine. You might want to go junkyard shopping and get a vacuum canister and plumb it inline of the wipers to give it a little reserve so that it doesn't stop working as quick when the vacuum drops.

Thanks for the tip Bam. The wipers don't actually work because the wiper motors must be stuck. I'd have to take them down from behind the headliner to inspect them. I just want to make sure i'm connecting the line to the correct spot.

Thanks again,

-Chris

So i got a little bit more done. There wasn't a very good place to attach the throttle return spring on the piece of linkage that crosses the cylinder head to the carb. I grabbed a 1/4" flat washer and hack sawed it in half. Then welded that to the underside of the linkage rod (Pic 1). To connect the other end of the spring i made a small bracket out of 1/8" thick steel that mounts to the intake manifold (Pic 2,3). This actually works very nicely now and i know that the spring has two sturdy attachment points.

I then turned my attention to the rotted out running boards on the car. I was able to remove the passenger side one (Pic 7). I'm going to end up fabricating a new set from 18 ga steel. As i was fighting with the running board to release it from the rusty crusty bolts holding it. I uncovered a very high class piece of metal work the previous owner had done :eek:. He riveted that flimsy little piece of steel on and filled the rest back up with bondo. I then saw what was hiding underneath (Pic 4,5,6). I'll have to fabricate some new patch panels for that area as well.

Next steps are to remove the driver side running board which is as shot at the passenger side and uncover any more A+ sheet metal work.

Thanks for looking,

-Chris

Attachments

• IMG_1622.JPG
    IMG_1622.JPG
    137.3 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_1625.JPG
    IMG_1625.JPG
    102.9 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_1626.JPG
    IMG_1626.JPG
    129.1 KB · Views: 38