1946 Ford front suspension help?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

50Ford

Has a blue oval on his cape!
Im buying a front axle set up off of a 1946 ford but cant get it for a couple of days. Im building my frame at school and im out of things to do untill i get the height of the axle and spring. And im running out of time also so i want to keep welding so i can get the frame done during school. Does anyone know the stock height of a 1946 ford axle with the stock 16 inch wheels and a basic set of tires for them. i need to know the height off the ground of your spring perch. Any info would be very helpful.

Thanks alot! Ryan :)

Picture!

I am going to do a build thread when i get a little further along. But heres a pic of where im at to give u an idea. the frame is 5 inches off the ground right now with no weight on it. I have to wait 7 more days to get my front end and theres 20 days of school left so i need to hurry to get a rolling chassis done. haha the frame is mounted correctly now thats an old picture with it mocked up haha.

Thanks! Ryan.

Attachments

• ATT00001sadfgh.jpg
    ATT00001sadfgh.jpg
    48.9 KB · Views: 33
Wish I had that dimension for you, but I don't. Now, you realize the '46 has the spring in front of the axle, don't you. Set up that way it shortens your wheelbase by about 6 inches, I think.

I don't think even Ratty 46 on here can tell you for sure because his has a dropped axle, reversed eye spring, and 15 inch wheels. Just for reference, here is a picture of his front end setup.

Don

Attachments

• 46 front end.jpg
    46 front end.jpg
    146.4 KB · Views: 25
I wouldn't reccomend welding up your frame withouth the parts you are going to use. You can use a 46 axle with some different perches and move it back but remember the wishbone mounting holes are a lot further apart than the earlier axles that had the spring on top. Here is a picture, you've probably seen something like this but it does give you some ideas.

Attachments

• ends_349x349.jpg
    ends_349x349.jpg
    24.8 KB · Views: 17
Thanks!

Thanks for your help. I can wait it out untill i get the axle, i found some brackets to weld on for now so ill be good. Thanks again for all your help.:)

Attachments

• DSC00304.jpg
    DSC00304.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 17

Latest posts

Back