1946 (or so) Ford rat

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Thanks RR!
I'm about got the nerve up to start the chop. I have read a few threads on it, and I think I have a pretty good understanding of what to expect. However, one thing I couldn/t find in my reading, is where do you start your measusring from on the back. the body line curves up on the back so can't measure from there. I laid a straight edge on the back window opening and thats better, but it seams to have a slight curve to it. Can someone tell me what I'm missing? [S

Started the chop!

thanks dirtyrat, that's what I did and it worked out great. I got it marked out to only take 2 " out of the rear window. and 4" out of the top.

4" out of the back and 5" out of the front. got it level and all braced up.

I tacked the front pillars. Braced up the front part of the roof so when I split it hopefully I'm able to keep the nice round shape. I'll slpit the roof this week end.

I got the roof split and some of it tacked up. I had to make some clamps to help hold the roof while I lined it up. hopefully tomorrow, I can start adding the filler strips.

Mofab in Anderson is about the cheapest place I've found for new material. And a couple of the lady's at the desk are easy on the eyes.:D

Your chop looks like its coming along nicely.

Mofab in Anderson is about the cheapest place I've found for new material. And a couple of the lady's at the desk are easy on the eyes.:D

Your chop looks like its coming along nicely.

I visit mofab every Saturday morning. :D
I also buy from PMMI. But right now you have to order it, they don't keep anything in stock.

Worked on the chop a little more yesterday. I gotta get some of those sheet metal but clamps before I can add the filler.

Went to a car show in Edgewood yesterday, the was only 2 rats there. [S , but a friend of mine went to the Bunker Hill drags, so thats prolly where they all were at.

There was only a few rats at bunkerhill. It was a small show but a good one. It was funny watching all the people who had never been down the drag strip.

I've got bout everything lined up, and ready to start tacking the filler strip in. Does the filler strip need to be one piece, and can there be three or four of them.

The front posts lined up great, with a little effort, the back lined up good. I am absolutly struggling with the split in the roof. I'm not sure where I went wrong, but it looks like crap. I my have to cut the filler strips back out and start over. [S

Here's a few pics.

Is it an illusion or is the front part a little twisted? Other wise it looks fine [S just needs some finish work. Give it a chance before you make yourself more work [P

I don't think its twisted. [S, (i hope not anyway...)
I got more done to it last night. I hopefully will be sending it off to sand blasting this week end.

I also got the doors cut yesterday. Hopefully they go a little smoother...

I got the top done, it at the sand blasters finally. I wont pick it up till next week, cause im going to the james dean car show Saturday.
Haven't checked in lately cause, Im building a Cushman scooter body for a friend.
As soon as it get back to the shop I'll post some pics.

Bought the steel for the frame rails this week end. I had to move the axle to the top side of the springs. I cut off the spring mounts and welded on some new ones. Ill hopefully get the frame rail tacked on this week, and the cab setting on it by the week end.

Latest posts

Back