1948 pilot house pickup

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tinlizzy

Hey gentlemen,
Another east tennessee rodder. Just moved to Tn in 2007 from Hawesville, Ky. My company thought I could do them some good so hear I am at least until I retire in a couple of years. Good place to be. I can see the Va. mountains from my back door. I have messed with old cars and trucks for better part of 40 years and still don't know enough to keep myself out of digging for more.
I just recently bought a 1948 dodge pilot house pickup its the same age as I am. This is my first venture into the Chrysler motor division so I know very little about these old gals. I would like to put a mopar V8 with a stick shift in the pickup but don't know where to start. The engine must have a front sump as the drag link is where a rear sump oil pan would normally be located.
What year vehicle do I look for to get a 318 or what they call a poly motor. Would any Chrysler product work? I don't want to chop up the old bruiser so would a V8 even fit? If I use a V8 then I will need a rear end so what will fit under the existing springs?
Do they make a dropped axle for one of the trucks? What about reverse eye springs? Has anyone done anything like this before and would they be willing to share what they did? Enuff questions before I confuse myself.

Sorry, I could'nt resist. I am not a mopar guy, but there are a bunch here. You could always change out the front axle for an after market drop axle. but if it is just a oilpan drop, maybe these guys can help.

Welcome to RRR, tinlizzy. Sounds like an interesting project. The pilot house body is one sharp looking truck. Maybe some pics of the truck so we can see what your working with would help.

Welcome.......

Welcome to the site, tinlizzy...
Post some of those questions out in the different forums and you should get your answers.
And we do like photos... Enjoy your time here. '22

Latest posts

Back