1949 Dodge PilotHouse Ute from Australia.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Cab is no longer homeless, I think it needs to come forward a couple inches. I'll get the front end sheetmetal bolted up and see.
It's still sitting a bit high, will do until all the weight gets loaded back into it...

dodge17.jpg

dodge18.jpg

dodge19.jpg

fishin good in tazzy

Hey man, I like the way the old Holdens drive, and this one came stock with a solid engine, the auto box I wanted and already set up with straight gas, which I wanted.
Being able to get parts from any auto shop on any day of the year is a nice little bonus as well... :D

Great start to the new year Wendle.

looking like it was made for it,you are making it look easy.[dr

Well i guess you answered that question.!!!!!:D

Cheers Brett.

DODGE---at4 /1970.-------
253---hj holden ute chassis---:D:)

Wendle,

Lookin' AWESOME, man! Boy, that's gonna be just a TON lower than the stock Dodge setup!:D

That Holden looks like, well, geez, I really can't say! Big, heavy perimeter frame could be similar to either a Malibu (Chevelle) or even an Impala from "up over." The quad headlight setup reminds me alot of an early '70's Chevy Impala...

I'm confused, guess that's why I liked "The Road Warrior" so much back when I was a kid-It wasn't about the gratuitous violence or lackluster acting...Just all those neat, DIFFERENT old cars!:D

Hope you had a great Christmas and Happy New Year. Looking forward to more progress as you get there.[P

Regards,
Shea:)

Wendle,

Lookin' AWESOME, man! Boy, that's gonna be just a TON lower than the stock Dodge setup!:D
That Holden looks like, well, geez, I really can't say! Big, heavy perimeter frame could be similar to either a Malibu (Chevelle) or even an Impala from "up over." The quad headlight setup reminds me alot of an early '70's Chevy Impala...
I'm confused, guess that's why I liked "The Road Warrior" so much back when I was a kid-It wasn't about the gratuitous violence or lackluster acting...Just all those neat, DIFFERENT old cars!:D
Hope you had a great Christmas and Happy New Year. Looking forward to more progress as you get there.[P
Regards,

Yeah, she sits about 18" lower than she did on the old Dodge frame. :D

That quad headlight front end is hopefully going to fetch me some decent $, they only came on the higher spec models and are quite sought after by guys building them up. It also has the "GTS dash", which has tach, oil pressure, volts, clock etc as well as the normal guages. That will hopefully get me some money back as well.
It was probably a bit too nice of a car to pull apart, but the price was right and the rust-free cab should help whoever buys it to build a nice car.

Starting to look a bit more like a complete car. I ended up moving the cab forward about 45mm, I htink it's pretty close to where it should be.
I need to make a decision about what wheels/tyres I am going to run and make the call on what to do with the front wheel arch to allow the tyres to clear.

dodge20.jpg

dodge21.jpg

Great start to the new year Wendle.
looking like it was made for it,you are making it look easy.[dr
Well i guess you answered that question.!!!!!:D
Cheers Brett.

DODGE---at4 /1970.-------
253---hj holden ute chassis---:D:)

I don't know about made for it, I've had to cut and move a few things that I never planned on cutting or moving LOL...

Anyone have any ground breaking ideas about what I can do here?
The front wheel arch profile looks great against the wheel, but doesn't allow any steering or suspension travel :(

wheelarch.jpg

With some dodgy photoshop work I know I can section the panel and move the arch up and forwards, but it just doesn't look as good.

wheelarchmovedupandforwards.jpg

The only other thing I can think of is to cut a section from a different car and patch it into my fenders?

the perfect marraige.dodge onto holden

Gday,Wendle as you are finding out the ol tonner/ute chassis swap is a bit of a compromise of looks and practicality,but it is worth it for the reasons you stated.Being able to get parts from any auto shop on any day of the year is a nice little bonus as well...:D

yours so far looks the bees knees[dr.and you have the[;) skill and paitents.

going by the wheel arch pic and centre line of the gaurd, the cab still needs to go foward 50mm[2inch] nesessitating a fire wall recess,maybe and leaving those great looking gaurds alone.

and i know this wont go down to well ,coz it does look sweet at the mo, but while you are still at this stage lift the cab up another 50 mm or so,again those gaurds are to cool to mess with .

decide on the wheels you are going to use and set it up so the top of the wheel and tyre sit just below the lip of the guard.

positive or neutral offset on the rim helps a bit also.

the pic of this one is not very good,but you can just see how the wheel sits. saw this one drive into the show it was at .one of the builders asked if i was a transport inspector bcoz i asked so many questions about it :D

its not as low as yours ,but it still looks cool as hell.

are they act num plates ,do you have to engineer it there,also what tray set up are you going to use .thanks

as i said only going by your pics.:)

cheers

Last edited:
wendle,heres a few pics from my collection to give you an idea of what i mean.

the maroon one was local to me. bee -ute-tiful.

the red dogde pic is taken from ozrodders events page and parked next to one off the best looking hot rods in australia.

mick jubbers.33.he is a member there he might know the owner of the red dodge .pretty sure its on a tonner chassis, its the only pic i have of it.

if you wanted to pick the brains of somebody that has already did the swap ,that is,with a cab the same as yours .

my 70 model dodge is a different kettle of fish,but i did have too lift the cab and gaurds up from where i wanted ,to where they needed to be ,to centre the wheels,and to get it all forward enough i had to recess the firewall also .

unlike yours going full steam ahead ,mine came to a grinding halt ,couldnt get motavated on it any more ,thats why your build is a breath of fresh air.keep up the great work .[cl

cheers Brett.

Last edited:
wheel arch

i agree carlton, move the cab further forwards, you will get more steering and will look better.
i had the same issues with my jailbar, and i ended up getting different offset rims to help as well, the rims come close to the lip when its bagged but when its up i can get full turning circle and still looks fine with the wheels sitting in an inch from the lip.
i can send you pics if you want.

Starting to look a bit more like a complete car. I ended up moving the cab forward about 45mm, I htink it's pretty close to where it should be.
I need to make a decision about what wheels/tyres I am going to run and make the call on what to do with the front wheel arch to allow the tyres to clear.

dodge20.jpg

dodge21.jpg

Steering!?! Who needs steering!?!;)

Man, that looks hella cool! You'll probably do fine though with the suggestions already mentioned- Move the cab and front clip ahead a couple inches to center the wheels out, maybe lift the cab a couple of inches and run narrower front wheels with not too much of a deep dish.

Looks like puppy likes, too!:D

Thanks again for sharing.

Regards,

The rats stealin the show!! I agree about 'plastisizing' the critter. Find a place to incorporate it in your build maybe, like a hood ornament or a dash palque.

It's weird enough to sell on Ebay and get get crazy bids on--might be fun..

PA41

still got the rat? encapsulate it on resin!! place it on the dash of the truck, that would work for me, i mean, if i had a truck, or a mummy rat...

wendle,heres a few pics from my collection to give you an idea of what i mean.

If you compare all those cars (maybe with the exception of the red one), The wheel arch is already higher in the panel. See how little vertical space there is between the flare and the round top of the panel compared to mine? I think maybe the pickup and smaller truck fenders were cut and stamped differently to mine, mine was a big truck with a really tall chassis and suspension so didn't have as tall of a wheel cutout...

i agree carlton, move the cab further forwards, you will get more steering and will look better.
i had the same issues with my jailbar, and i ended up getting different offset rims to help as well, the rims come close to the lip when its bagged but when its up i can get full turning circle and still looks fine with the wheels sitting in an inch from the lip.
i can send you pics if you want.

Hey Mick, how are ya??

I have pulled the body further forward for a look (firewall is already clearanced), it looks a little goofy with the bigger front overhang in my opinion.
I'm going to get my doors back on and stand back and have a look, but I am thinking I am going to move the wheel arch to keep the overall profile of the car low and back.

Latest posts

Back