1949 Ford bobber build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Picture of what I made up to push.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    86.3 KB · Views: 45
Got some more done on the roof today. Its lining up pretty good. I took out the inner girder.

Where the roof sheet metal didn't line up on the roof skin near the drip rail, I extended the windshield relief cuts into my cross cut area and took out a little steel to line it up.

Now I am ready to fill in the area by the drip rails and my relief cuts. Once that is all tacked in I will cut the rear wall off and tack it in place then the doors.

Attachments

• IMG_1341.jpg
    IMG_1341.jpg
    81.5 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_1342.jpg
    IMG_1342.jpg
    108.1 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_1343.jpg
    IMG_1343.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_1344.jpg
    IMG_1344.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 46
  • IMG_1345.jpg
    IMG_1345.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_1346.jpg
    IMG_1346.jpg
    76.7 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_1348.jpg
    IMG_1348.jpg
    80.9 KB · Views: 41
Oh yeah baby!!

I've already got this gap thing fixed. Thanks for the inspiration Torchie.

That was my plan for the day.... Now I need a new plan[S

You are welcome gold!.
Nice job on the armstrong porta-power. I made a spring spreader that looks just like it. I should have patented it:D

You are really in the groove now man. You will have that chop done in no time.
Meanwhile here in Northern Mi I am busting butt on this. See pic.
My truck sits not so patiently on the other side of the blue tarp.
Torchie.

Attachments

• IMG_3159.jpg
    IMG_3159.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 36
Not to divert the thread.
1955 Thompson running twin 1957 Johnson Javelin's
The one pics shows the boat the day I brought it home. Next pic shows current condition and getting ready to paint the motors.
Yeah it's a keeper. Not intended to be a show piece. Just want to get it back in the water and get back to welding[;)
Torchie.
p.s. Good luck on that other site......

Attachments

• IMG_3162.jpg
    IMG_3162.jpg
    109.2 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_3189.jpg
    IMG_3189.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 30
  • P1020334.jpg
    P1020334.jpg
    102.5 KB · Views: 29
I've pulled a lot of good information off "the other site". There are a few guys there into old trucks. I thought I would contribute. I don't enjoy the constant flaming and drama. I think the chops we did are quite a bit different than what I've seen before. I learned from you and GJM, maybe someone can learn from what we did over there.

Good idea on the door gap, I may have to do the same, seems that mine have moved in a bit as well...

Mine moved to DR. It's almost as though some of the areas in the cab "Relax" when the top comes off. Don't know how else to explain it as I braced the crap out of it[S

I have been on that site for a few years now gold and you are right there is lots of good info there. But they have a universal hate for anything that is not their idea of "Traditional". I have been asked by some who have seen my project on that site to start a build thread. I don't know that I will. I like this neighborhood better:D
Torchie.

I agree with you Torchie. I won't go much further there. Just sharing the chop tech. From now on, Google will make a hit for anyone looking.

Hi Gold03, that finishing a chop is a lot of planning, Imagineering and work, but at the end of the day I'll bet you feel good about your progress. And dang fine progress it is. Oh ya, those door posts are good stuff, and hard to adjust, eh.
I've heard quite a few guys talk about 'the other site', but I have not ventured over there. I stumbled onto this site, lurked for a few days, and joined in. You guys are the best there is. I don't want to look around.
Keep on tinkering.

Thanks Mac. I'm pretty happy with the chop. I learned a lot from guys here who are willing to help out by sharing their know how.

It's funny how different sites have different personalities. Its so laid back on RRR. Some of the members on the h€£¥ are pretty uptight. You see guys defending their view of how a vehicle should be and deriding any other.

I like cars the same way I like music. I like most styles and respect them all. I currently like 48 to 51 Ford trucks. But I would sure hate to see everyone driving one. As the saying goes, variety is the spice of life.

Got some more done on the roof today. Its lining up pretty good. I took out the inner girder.

Where the roof sheet metal didn't line up on the roof skin near the drip rail, I extended the windshield relief cuts into my cross cut area and took out a little steel to line it up.

Now I am ready to fill in the area by the drip rails and my relief cuts. Once that is all tacked in I will cut the rear wall off and tack it in place then the doors.

Now you're just showing off and making some of us look really, really bad.
GREAT work!

Ok. lets get back to our regularly schedueled program.

Question for you gold. I just saw where you said you are running a 46 front axle with original split bones.
You are talking Ford car or what? And do you have any pics that you can post?
Thanks.
Torchie.

Ok gold.
I went back to the start of your thread and more or less saw the answers to my questions.
I know that this is a little late in the game to be asking but how is your tire clearence when you turn the wheels using the original radius rods split ?
Thanks.
Torchie.

Change of subject

I'm at home today feeling a little under the weather. I sat in the rain all afternoon at a concert in the park waiting for the closing act.

Steve Earle rocked last night. Top of his game. He sang some of the old and some newer stuff I hadn't heard.

Enjoyed myself and got a bit of a cold:)

Here is this weekends progress. Passenger side rear wall is cut and welded. I will do the drivers side then I think I will need to take a relief cut out under the window.

The second shot is from inside the B-Pillar. I'm doing my welding from the inside. Less to clean up on the outside. I grind off most of the excess so I can planish a little if needed.

Attachments

• IMG_1359.jpg
    IMG_1359.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_1361.jpg
    IMG_1361.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_1362.jpg
    IMG_1362.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_1364.jpg
    IMG_1364.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 55
  • IMG_1356.jpg
    IMG_1356.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 51
Thanks Torchie.

You should start a build thread on your boat! At least give us some photographic documentation of what you are up to. Its a beautiful boat man.

Latest posts

Back