1949 Ford bobber build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I did some work on my doors. I re-gapped the drivers door. I also had a problem with the back edge at the bottom of the door being proud of the cab by about 1/8 inch. Had me stumped on how I was going to fix the door.

Finally got the idea to adjust the cab sheet metal. I drilled out the spot welds holding the cab sheet metal onto the rear door pillar and pulled it out and then welded it back on. Vwalla! All fixed! I took a picture of the vent window frame as well. It is chopped and ready for new glass as well.

Attachments

• IMG_1680.jpg
    IMG_1680.jpg
    81.3 KB · Views: 35
Hey Ken,

I did a four inch chop. Going beyond that would require a different chop method than what I used. Specifically you will need to split the rear portion of the roof to get it all ti line up.

I think you can do vent windows regardless of the chop. The more you cut, the more window surface you lose to divider and vent window seal. At five it would be OK. Beyond six or eight I would eliminate the vent widows.

I like the vent windows.

Looks great gold.
I did the same thing to mine to adjust some door gaps.
How did you do the vents? Were you able to bend them or did you notch them like I did?
Torchie.

Hey Torchie, a little cut and weld. The shape could be better, but I will wait and see how it works when I install the seal.

Now that I know how to instal the vent window it will be easier to make a couple of small adjustment cuts and welds if needed.

Same as I did gold....

I'm with you on the adjustment. It going to be awhile before I get my new seals since I can't even seem to work on any of it lately:(
Torchie.

I was sorting pictures and found a photo of my old M-37. My most favourite build ever.

Sure miss that old War Wagon.

Attachments

• M-37.jpg
    M-37.jpg
    169.1 KB · Views: 21
Very Nice gold.
There is one of those for sale near me on CL.
It looks stone stock but is sitting on a modern chassis and drivetrain.
You have been kind of quiet lately.;)
Hope all is well.
Torchie.

Hey Torchie, all is well. Christmas is a very busy time of year for me. I attended a total of six Christmas get together. I'm so fat now it's tough getting the boots tied.

Had to put some time in at work.

Sunday I'm back in the shop working on the passenger door. Time to chop the vent window on that side.

Hey Torchie, all is well. Christmas is a very busy time of year for me. I attended a total of six Christmas get together. I'm so fat now it's tough getting the boots tied.

Had to put some time in at work.

Sunday I'm back in the shop working on the passenger door. Time to chop the vent window on that side.

Cool gold. That's one of the benefits of being a Hermit. I don't get invited to anything.:)
Post some pics of your vent chop process. Your work is always too nice not to share.[cl
Torchie.

Thanks for the compliment Torchie. Here are the pictures of the outer vent window frame chop. Tomorrow I will give a go at the inner frame that the glass sets into.

First step is to separate the two pieces of the vent window. Then remove the glass from the metal frame. I did this by using a utility knife and cutting between the metal and glass. Then I used my band saw to cut the outer frame. I need to remove four inches but take a little less so I can sneak up on it. I trial fit the lower and upper pieces in the door to get a good idea where to make the second cut. Trim it with a big belt sander. Bevel the ends slightly for good penetration and the ability to sand it down flush. I use the MIG welder to weld the frame. roll lock sanding disk, belt sander and a file to clean it all up. I use some copper to keep the heat under control. the tip of the frame needed a one inch addition. Same cut weld and grind process.

Attachments

• IMG_1682.jpg
    IMG_1682.jpg
    111 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_1684.jpg
    IMG_1684.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_1686.jpg
    IMG_1686.jpg
    57.6 KB · Views: 25
  • IMG_1687.jpg
    IMG_1687.jpg