1949 Mopar More-door build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not sure I'm sold on the tail lights, but the others were too big. It's on the road, so who cares! [cl

Same here, Sam. I'm calling them placeholders until something better comes along.

Thanks for the Craiglist ad; I wish I had the time, space, and $$. That thing could be cool.

I just joined the forum but am in the process of rebuilding my 49 Coronet. Glad to see another rebuild! Seems to not be a very popular car.

Yeah, 40s and 50s Mopars sure dont get the attention that the bowties and ovals get. But that's good for us, it keeps the prices down! Your 49 sounds cool; how about a few pictures?

Not sure what I'm going to do with it but I picked up this 360 really cheap off of Craiglist yesterday. Im hopeless.

Attachments

• IMG_3475.JPG
    IMG_3475.JPG
    46.7 KB · Views: 34
There were some holes in the hood from a missing piece of trim so my first thought was just to weld them up. Then I thought I would go ahead and just weld the whole seam and make the hood one piece. Finally i though I might as well add a peak so I filled all the old trim and emblem holes and welded a 3/16" rod down the seam. It's got a little ways to go to get it in primer but I like it so far.

Attachments

• IMG_0349.JPG
    IMG_0349.JPG
    28.5 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_0351.JPG
    IMG_0351.JPG
    27.6 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_0352.JPG
    IMG_0352.JPG
    23 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_0353.JPG
    IMG_0353.JPG
    29.8 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_0354.JPG
    IMG_0354.JPG
    31.2 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_0355.JPG
    IMG_0355.JPG
    30 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_0356.JPG
    IMG_0356.JPG
    34.8 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_0357.JPG
    IMG_0357.JPG
    33.5 KB · Views: 45
I did a little boneyard shopping on the way home from work today. One of the guys on the P15D24 website figured out how to put a Ford Ranger 5 speed behind the old Mopar flat sixes so I got one of those and an 8.8 Explorer rear end with disc brakes and a 3:73 limited slip.

Attachments

• IMG_0358.JPG
    IMG_0358.JPG
    60.2 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_0359.JPG
    IMG_0359.JPG
    53.3 KB · Views: 29
Now you're talking![cl A friend of mine put a Dakota 5 speed in his '34 Dodge Pickup with a 230 6. Goes down the road well over the speed limit, if so desired.[ddd

Nice Score!

How do you guys find good deals on craigslist?
Here at the beach the engines like that have a $800.00-$1500.00 price tag.
Then if they can`t sell them for big money,they scrap them for spite.:mad:
Seems like everyone selling here on C list has a bad attitude.
I have tried to buy several sbc engines but they scrap them instead of lowering price,then brag about it.
They seem to get a lot of pleasure out of it.
How do the mental cases end up with the good stuff?
Bad times.:(
I will keep trying.
There must be one sane person left with an engine around here.[S
Well thats enough talk about the looneys around here.
Glad you found a good deal.
I like your project.

Yeah, the car has terrible highway manners and 1950 brake technology really blows. Id like to be able to keep up with traffic without sounding like it's ready to float the valves and be able to stop better. I decided against a small block swap and am just going with better gears and brakes. The old flattie really runs great and is pretty much all new so no sense in ditching it. It gives it character, I think.

Im going to keep it on the road as is for summer and just have all my parts ready for the upgrades this coming winter. I wasnt going to do any of this since it's an old fourdoor; I figured I'd just make it roadworthy and tool around in it. BUT..... I saw a thread on another site where a guy chopped one of these and I could believe how much better it made the car look. He took a ton of pictures during the process so I may be going for that, too. [;)

Attachments

• 49 chop.jpg
    49 chop.jpg
    88.2 KB · Views: 34
CL = 95% BS, Idiots, Attitude and junk

CL = 5% good deals, good people but you have to weed out all the rest.

You nailed it; I hate advertising anything for sale on CL anymore because of all the scammers that fill up your email with crap. You read some of those and you just cant believe anyone would be stupid enough to fall for them but I guess somebody does.

Keep looking, Rex; you'll find a decent motor for cheap. There's lots of them out there.

I finished my hood peak and shot some epoxy primer on it; that'll hold it for a while. Im still not 100% sure where Im going with this; just doing one small mod at a time and see where it ends up.

Attachments

• IMG_0378.JPG
    IMG_0378.JPG
    46.9 KB · Views: 37
For CL just hide the email link in the ad and you wont get all the stupid spammer and scammer stuff just leave a phone number that's what i always do because email is a p.i.t.a!!

I started mocking up the Ranger 5 speed onto the factory bellhousing using an old spare flathead I had. I'm copying this idea; a guy on the P15D24 site designed this swap. I had the bellhousing blasted and made a template; just need to drop it off at the machine shop to have the center hole machined out 1/8".

Attachments

• IMG_3494.JPG
    IMG_3494.JPG
    59.1 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_3496.JPG
    IMG_3496.JPG
    51.2 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_3497.JPG
    IMG_3497.JPG
    55.7 KB · Views: 54
  • IMG_3498.JPG
    IMG_3498.JPG
    46.9 KB · Views: 53
I got my Ranger trans front plate back from the machine shop. They did an awesome job; they made this snout for the Dodge throwout bearing to ride on. They also cut my bellhousing hole to fit the plate. Reasonable price, too. It's Morley Performance in Fenton, Missouri if anyone wants to check them out online or on Facebook. Great shop with some cool projects going on.

Attachments

• IMG_3499.JPG
    IMG_3499.JPG
    47.1 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_3500.JPG
    IMG_3500.JPG
    47.7 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_3501.JPG
    IMG_3501.JPG
    55.8 KB · Views: 31
I got my HEI installed; wow, what a difference in throttle response! Very easy to do; only took a few hours.

Attachments

• IMG_3502.JPG
    IMG_3502.JPG
    78 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_3504.JPG
    IMG_3504.JPG
    69.3 KB · Views: 42

Latest posts

Back