1950 Dodge Pick Up

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guyboy1970

Ok guys I need a lil guidance here... I found a complete 1950 Dodge PU the top is pretty bad well it's almost not pretty bad it's real bad LOL. Around the windshield is rusted all the way through and it's rusted through on the rain gutters. Of course the floors are gone and would have to be replaced but I always figured that would happen anyway.

I was hoping to find something a lil older so hopefully could go fenderless but this one I'm not sure what it would look like. However the truck is complete all the way down to the straight six flat head. All glass intact and so on. Should I even push to talk to this guy and get it down where i can afford it as my first project or just let it go?

Thanks in advance!

if its in bad shape and its not really what you want.. you should pass.. my .02

depends...

1st of all, it would depend on your skill level for any restoration you might want to do. Of course you get away with more on a Rat, but when I rat rod something, I like it to at least be structural and not completely rusted through. I don't mind the looks and colors of surface type rust, but when the metal looses it's integrity, well, that Im not crazy about.

Replacing metal, especially around rain gutters, and places like that is tough to duplicate. So, again, depends on not only your skill in doing that, but even if you want to get that much into it.

If it looks too gone for your comfort level, then pass. If it looks like something that would not make you uncomfortable to deal with, and possiblely loose intrest on it, then go for it.

Just don't get something to get something. Wait for what ya want. If you don't, you risk loosing interests in the future, and it never getting done.

That said, reminds me of my Dad. I was only a few years old when he brought home a 1949 Dodge truck. He loved that truck, and I have fond memories if bouncing around in the back of it.

My skill level is pretty good with a welder i took over a year of training here at the local college to try to get a job but then happened into a desk job with better money but it has been a while since I have picked up a welder but i have a good friend who has been welding for 10 years or so and another buddy that is a boiler maker and is awesome as well.

I like the looks of the truck but it would have not been my first option. I would love a 42-49 Ford and the same years in an International but these heaps are getting hard to find and I just like almost everybody here am on a very limited budget.

Thanks for your imput Tudor and CORPO I may have one of my buddy's go over and look at it with me. The doors, hood, fenders and box are nice and strong with awesome pantina. maybe I will get some pics so I can show you guys and get some imput....

gonna go back tomorrow and get some pics and i sent my welder buddy by and he thinks it would be best to get another cab and graft to the existing truck. I will try to loead pics tomorrow tho and thanks guys! I was planning on a chop top anyway so it may work out!

Just food for thought...

If ya end up with a 2nd cab anyway. And planning on a chop, think about something I have always wanted to do. I see them now every now and then, but I have wanted to do a graft for years of two 50ish Chevy truck cabs to make an extended cab with a back seat. Not necissarily a 4 door, but and extended cab. If ya cut the bad cab just aft of the door opening, and then the back of the other cab just before it curves into the back, graft them together to make an extended cab..
Then remove the extra lenth of the cab from the bed and make it even a shorter bed. Would look cool I think..

Anyway.. Just food for thought..

dodge pilot house fenderless

these trucks don't look correct with no front end sheet metal, the bulge in the door makes it look funny.

if ya ran it with no front sheet metal, flattening the bulges would be a must.

here are a threads where there chopping the top.

51 Dodge Pilothouse--- by ChevyMan&Sons

http://www.autoartistry.com/1949 Dodge Pickup.html

later:cool:

Attachments

• dodge truck and sunvisior classic fulton brand 012.jpg
    dodge truck and sunvisior classic fulton brand 012.jpg
    144.4 KB · Views: 26
  • dodge truck in yard mocked up 001.jpg
    dodge truck in yard mocked up 001.jpg
    131.9 KB · Views: 28
Ok guys I know its late but was hunting most of the day but I did get some pics! Let me know what you think bout this heap.

Attachments

• IMG_20101211_124842.jpg
    IMG_20101211_124842.jpg
    106.1 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_20101211_124928.jpg
    IMG_20101211_124928.jpg
    130.3 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_20101211_124913.jpg
    IMG_20101211_124913.jpg
    107.4 KB · Views: 26
  • IMG_20101211_125407.jpg
    IMG_20101211_125407.jpg
    132.4 KB · Views: 29
Well, it's not a 50, more like a 54-55. Nice body style but looks too far gone to me, especially that big rust hole in the top. But then I'm lazy, and we're spoiled for solid iron up here. The better vehicle you start with, the less labor it takes to make a better rod.
There is a nice straight and solid 55 5 window V8 Dodge half ton for sale locally here for $250. I'm planning to get it.

Wow that is a steal! I'm still looking for other trucks people just will not turn them loose down here. Thanks for the input tho!
ROAD TRIP!!! Hook up the trailer and go find a solid one. $1000 spent on travel will save you hundreds of hours trying to save a rust bucket.
A few years ago I bought my old 69 Ford crew cab about 2000 miles away in Yakima. I was living in Texas. I got on the HAMB and found a guy wanting a 33 ford chassis delivered to Cali. and another guy in Cali. that needed a car hauled to Spokane. I got my truck home and was $500 to the good, including 2 new tires I had to put on the trailer. And I picked up some cool old tin for free along the way.

LOL OK guys I think I'm gonna pass on this beast and keep looking! Thanks so much for your imput and keeping me from wasting alot of time trying to get this thing back up and goin!

Latest posts

Back