1950 IH 2 ton rat rod

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
pic of the doner vechicle

This is a 84 Cruise Air 2, i cut the front in order to get at the 454 eng and 400 turbo trans, pulled it all togethor. Removed the rear axle, was a direct bolt in into the rat (plus it has rear disc). Also took the brake lines, the top shock mounts off the frame, the tires (19.5 -8), the drive shafts (all three), and the carrier bearing, the steering column (it dosent have the ignition switch on the column, this is great cause my rat will uses a ignition switch on the dash and a starter button on the dash, factory rat setup) captains seats will work nicely with the pedastal mount and swivel action, can cut the pedastal way down to get it lower in the cab. I gave 500 for the whole motor home, it was really rotten on the inside, the roof leaked. The home only had 30,000 miles on it..

Attachments

• Picture 012.jpg
    Picture 012.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 27
  • Picture 013.jpg
    Picture 013.jpg
    142.1 KB · Views: 29
front axle and steering

This is a 1990 Rockwell International front axle from a 1 ton Ford flatbed truck, had to remove a little over 5 inches out of the center of the axle so it would fit on the axle springs. Was necessary to redrill the holes for the U bolts as the springs were a lot narrower than the ford leafs. I removed 4 leafs from the rats leafs springs so it might ride a little better( this truck came with no shocks, front or back and no sway bars, factory) I bet this baby rode and drove like a dream !!!!!.This axle has disc breaks, I turned the rotors and packed wheel bearings while it was apart ( this stuff is very very heavy, this is some heavy unsprung weight!!!! The steering rack is out of a 2000 ford explorer ( was freeeee) I ended up mounting it in the center of the axle( I know what ur thinking, it has to sit more to the right than the left so the turn radius would be the same) It looked a lot better plus my steering shaft lined up perfect. The tie rod ends were cut off of the 1 ton axlle as close as I could get it, and the Explorer was cut off as close to the adjusting threads as possible and welded together (left side) right side was made as long as possible using almost the entire length of the 1 ton tie rod and the threaded end of the Explorer (worked nicely). The rack had to be mounted to the axle and away to get it to line up with the steering nuckle. Made mounting brackets that bolted to the Ford axle via the sway arm holes, than ran a brace from the top of the rack down to the right side to keep it from rocking back and forth.

Attachments

• Picture 019.jpg
    Picture 019.jpg
    172.3 KB · Views: 29
  • Picture 020.jpg
    Picture 020.jpg
    171.1 KB · Views: 31
  • Picture 021.jpg
    Picture 021.jpg
    155.4 KB · Views: 30
The drive shaft

The eng and trans set up so high that iwas able to leave most of the floor in tact and drill a 5 inch hole in the back of the cab to let the shaft exit, had to cut drive shafts down to fit ( 2 of them) will try to balance once its running.

Attachments

• Picture 015.jpg
    Picture 015.jpg
    96.7 KB · Views: 30
  • Picture 017.jpg
    Picture 017.jpg
    105 KB · Views: 29
some random pics

these r just some pics of the rat....

Attachments

• Picture 014.jpg
    Picture 014.jpg
    206.3 KB · Views: 40
  • Picture 016.jpg
    Picture 016.jpg
    131.6 KB · Views: 38
  • Picture 018.jpg
    Picture 018.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 39
  • Picture 022.jpg
    Picture 022.jpg
    152.5 KB · Views: 39
  • Picture 023.jpg
    Picture 023.jpg
    132.8 KB · Views: 51
  • Picture 024.jpg
    Picture 024.jpg
    181.4 KB · Views: 36
That front axle is nice choice instead of using old timey stuff, interesting use of a rack&pinion setup. Are you using a slip joint of some sort in the steering shaft to accomodate the length change as the suspension moves ? Those old motorhomes are a great source of parts and like yours, can be found cheap with low milage when they are rotten.

Latest posts

Back