1951 International L-112

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
everything looks better with a chop, and I didn't know that there was such a thing as a limit on that.

I just dropped my window frame off to have a windshield put in it, it is two pieces 11x24 and the glass alone was $34, then $40 for him to cut it (he claims so much because of how big the curves are). I am just not putting any other glass in right now.

right they are by far the coolest things to just drive around. I can't wait to just cruise around once it's done. I've always had custom trucks and always thought man Rats are soo much cooler than any custom I've ever built...thats why i have one in process. Thanks for all the support!!!

I give a big thumbs up

Picture019-1.jpg

for big tires. What?

51Willys027.jpg

right they are by far the coolest things to just drive around. I can't wait to just cruise around once it's done. I've always had custom trucks and always thought man Rats are soo much cooler than any custom I've ever built...thats why i have one in process. Thanks for all the support!!!

the blood, sweat, tears, beer and pizza along with the lengthy process is half the battle for the reward of turning heads no matter who it is or where your going...

Sure, you'll get those folks to look at it and go "what on gods green earth is this hunk of metal..." then others... "wow that is a beautiful piece of machinery you got there mixed with some awesome automotive history..."

for what its worth...reason I stuck with my International - is my plan to drive it up to see my grandfather who worked for as long as I can remember as a International Harvester Mechanic...

Thats really cool he was a International Mechanic! yeah I get looks like what the .... in my jeep commander now. I cant wait to see the looks I get in the 51

Nothing yet I ended up putting alot into my jeep just lately and thats my daily driver so it had to be done for inspection ...might be able to get some work on it this coming weekend hopefully

Get er done!!!! Im waitin on some more pics myself. Helps keep me as inspired as I can be anyways. RR[P

It is true the builds pictures on here are what keep me motivated alot of the times ...my girl makes fun of me all the time when I say I was reading the forum today and got me motivated to work on the old truck this weekend.

Dunno if you've seen my build thread or not, but ill bet itll motivate you! :)
Heres my 50 international with a 6" chop and 3" section out of the center of the body:

photo-179.jpg

Sitting at ride height:
photo-172.jpg

Im about 5'10" and have some BMW bucket seats sitting right on the floor. I have about 1 1/2" of clearance between my head and the roof :)
Its on air so it'll lay frame too which is kinda neat, though ita a bear to get in and out of!!!

I got all my flat glass from a buddy at a local glass shop. Its DOT safety glass (laminated). Paid $40 for it and i have enough for both side windows (roll up ones only) and both back pieces.

If you chop the truck, be aware that you will not find a windshield for it!
I ended up splitting my windshield so i have two smaller piece of glass to fit rather then one big one!
My particular windshield frame has the same radius as a 1978 dautsun 280 z windshield so ill end up buying two of those to make both of mine.

Im made a wood template that had the radius of the origonal glass and went to the junk yard and tossed it up on about 100 cars trying to find one that worked.

photo-123.jpg

photo-122.jpg

photo-121.jpg

I must say haha before I started my build your truck was my screen back ground at work ... that's what the guy saw and said oh you like those old binders and I was like yeah isn't that cool!! He then said you want one cause I have one you can have in my back woods. So yeah your ride inspires me alot! There's a few others I'm following too that are cool too. I like the split windshield, that thing looks killer but didn't want to copy you ,, it looks like that might be the easiest way to go tho seeing as I'm planning on chopping it too. I will try the one piece first and see how it goes tho

I must say haha before I started my build your truck was my screen back ground at work ... that's what the guy saw and said oh you like those old binders and I was like yeah isn't that cool!! He then said you want one cause I have one you can have in my back woods. So yeah your ride inspires me alot! There's a few others I'm following too that are cool too. I like the split windshield, that thing looks killer but didn't want to copy you ,, it looks like that might be the easiest way to go tho seeing as I'm planning on chopping it too. I will try the one piece first and see how it goes tho

Wow! Thank you! Didn't see that one coming :)

What's that saying? Imitation is the biggest form of flattery? Honestly man, you wouldn't be hurting me feelings if you copied the split windshield. Actuality is, we are all on here looming at everyone else's projects, and dispite weather we know it or not, we're each always taking a piece of this that we like, and a piece of that, that we like, and incorperating it into our own vision. Just the fact that were building Rat Rods means that we are copying an idea someone had that we liked.
I have TONS of stuff on my truck that I found on someone else's ride that I thought would fit mine very well. It's the individual builders touch that makes every ride unique.

With all that said, you better get on your project. Just sitting around coming up with new ideas just prolongs the actual build time :) trust me, I thought I was going to slam mine out in a year, but as I get something done, then sit back and stare, I come up with ten other ideas to do!!!
Not that this concept is ALL bad :)

BYW, I like the big tires. Makes it look tough. I don't know if the front axle will support the extra weight or not (which is why I didn't reply to your other thread about that) but I like the look none the less. My thinking on that (which could be totally wrong) is that the tires and wheels are un sprung weight. I think the only issue you will have is wearing of the ball joints faster. I've noticed that on my daily driver. I have oversized tires and I go through ball joints often due to the extra load on them. It's easier to slow down a bouncy Mickey mouse tire then it is a 35" mudder. But like I said, take that with a grain of salt.

yeah I found out that the lincoln has a ford 8.8 in it already so I will use that rear end and drive train even tho its automatic It will work. So this weekend if its nice instead of trying to get to the bolts under the truck I think I'm going to just take a cut off wheel and follow as close to the bed sides as possible and get the bed off . Then I have to figure out how long to make the bed because it is way long right now. My project a.d.h.d is brutal so I need to focus on one aspect at a time so the bed it is till its done. Then on to the next idea or aspect of the truck maybe the cab.

well today is going to be a good day I am going to check out welders at lowes after work.[;) I figure if I'm going to be doing this kind of stuff I better get some more equipment so I can do more and learn every aspect of the builds. I am not rich tho so I figure I will go with a small lincoln set up so I can do the sheet metal and small stuff and just tack the stuff that needs serious welding and bring it to one of the welders here at the factory in his off time. I figure it will take me a bit to learn but I can practice on some scrap that I have laying around. Then I can brace the bed and get cutting and shorten it up.

yeah I figured why not use what I have available instead of buying some other seats. I think all I need to do is make new mounts for the flat floor. They do smell pretty bad tho because the past owner was a smoker but I figure the rat will have it's own smell to it anyways.

Latest posts

Back