1952 Chevy 1 ton axle brakes...

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sims426

Ok here goes, I have a 52 1 ton 8 lug axle and I'm wanting to convert it to 5 lug disc. Will the half ton disc brake kit from speedway work on my axle? I've heard that the backing plate bolt pattern is the same on 1/2, 3/4, and 1 ton trucks, but I have no way to verify this. Any help or suggestions?

3/4 and 1 ton have 8 bolts and the 1/2 ton have 6 .

I'm not sure if the axle beams are the same .

Gonzo

Spindles are diffferent.

You'll have to source a different axle and spindles.

I know its not the same, but on my 3/4 ton-had to put 1/2 ton axle and spindles on it to convert to disc.

Ok here goes, I have a 52 1 ton 8 lug axle and I'm wanting to convert it to 5 lug disc. Will the half ton disc brake kit from speedway work on my axle? I've heard that the backing plate bolt pattern is the same on 1/2, 3/4, and 1 ton trucks, but I have no way to verify this. Any help or suggestions?

Hi Sims

I am currently collecting parts for a 1953 Chevy 1 ton truck with 8 lugs on front and rear axle.

http://www.stovebolt.com/ubbthreads/ubbthreads.php?ubb=postlist&Board=45&page=1

There are several threads on there with guys trying to upgrade to disc brakes on the front of there Stovebolts. If you want to just swap out the front axle then get a 1/2 ton axle and get the Speedway Motors kit....if you want to keep the 8 lug setup there takes more work but in the end you will keep more of the truck part of it...you will see both styles on this forum.

Good luck with your project....gotta love the looks of vintage Chevy truck...please keep us in the loop....

MikeC

Latest posts

Back