1952 F-6 Build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Here is where we are as of today.
Boat project is finished but ran out of time/money so it won't be launched until next spring. So the day was spent working at putting 5 lbs of **** in a 3 lb bag. The plan is to have both are cars in the garage this winter along with both projects:eek::eek: Boat is covered and pushed off to the side. Tarp wall between the two is taken down. These pics give a better view of the profile of the truck.
The new fenders are near by waiting for me to pick up. I may wait a couple of days as my wife and daughter arrive home tomorrow from their cross country drive.
Torchie.

Attachments

• IMG_0250.jpg
    IMG_0250.jpg
    112.6 KB · Views: 76
  • IMG_0249.jpg
    IMG_0249.jpg
    96.2 KB · Views: 83
  • IMG_0254.jpg
    IMG_0254.jpg
    77.9 KB · Views: 79
New front or rear fenders?
Are you shortening the bed at all or? I wonder what it would look like with those rear fenders a little farther forward?

New front or rear fenders?
Are you shortening the bed at all or? I wonder what it would look like with those rear fenders a little farther forward?

New front fenders DR. Well, new to me anyway. They are from out west so they are decent as far as rust goes.
With this build I am going from the front and working backwards. Once the full front fenders are on I will know If I have to adjust the cab position forward or back. I think that it will be fairly close where it is. Then I will make adjustments for the box and rear fenders. You are correct that the rear wheels need to be more centered in the rear fender opening. I think that the F-1 wheel base was slightly longer than the 41 car. If so I will shorten up the box between the fenders and the cab or move the fenders forward. Lots still up in the air about this build as I may have to modify the front wheel openings as well to allow for the 6' channel. Stay tuned.
Torchie.

Beautiful day here in Northern Mi so I made the drive to pick up my front fenders.
Pic shows the area at the rear of the fenders that is missing on my current pair.
My heartfelt thanks to all my friends that made the relay of these fenders to me possible. Montana-Kentucky -Northern Mi :eek:
Other than surface rust they appear to be really solid.
Torchie.

Attachments

• IMG_0258.jpg
    IMG_0258.jpg
    101.6 KB · Views: 53
  • IMG_0259.jpg
    IMG_0259.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_0232.JPG
    IMG_0232.JPG
    38.4 KB · Views: 49
Its like finding that puzzle piece you are missing!

You said it DR. I think that I bought these fenders back in the spring.:D
Looking towards getting the old ones apart and then getting the new ones in place so I can see how things really line up. I know that there will need to be some fitment where the fenders attach to the truck cowl and then of course there will be the hood issue's to deal with as well as wheel opening / tire clearence to be dealt with.
Maybe I should have just left it fenderless ;)
Torchie.

Spent a little time today taking apart the front sheet metal. I need to use the inner braces for the newer fenders. I just love rusted old Ford nuts and bolts:mad:
Torchie.

Attachments

• IMG_0260.jpg
    IMG_0260.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_0261.jpg
    IMG_0261.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_0262.jpg
    IMG_0262.jpg
    91.2 KB · Views: 34
So do I. ^^^ This is the truck Ford should have built instead of the jailbar version. (Very Willys-like as you mentioned Torchie.)

Make it happen! [cl

I sure hope you can make this work.

So do I. ^^^ This is the truck Ford should have built instead of the jailbar version. (Very Willys-like as you mentioned Torchie.)

Make it happen! [cl

Thanks guys. I'm working at it!
Got the parts spread out all over the floor of the shop so I must be making progress.
Removed the front fender brace from the old pair. This part is essential to getting the fenders in their proper place. It acts as a spacer as well as holding up the fenders.
If it all goes to plan I should be posting some pics tonite of the fenders mated to the cab [cl
Torchie.

Attachments

• IMG_0267.jpg
    IMG_0267.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_0266.jpg
    IMG_0266.jpg
    75.9 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_0263.jpg
    IMG_0263.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 32
Taking a break for dinner so I will post a few more pics of todays progress.
New fenders upside down with inner fender panel trimmed away for frame clearence.
Finally got the some what dented grill and lower nose piece seperated from the old fenders.
The original location of the mounting bar that the fender support sits on.( It actually goes up aganst the inside top of the frame).
New location via some quick brackets. Since I channeled the body 6 inches that is the amount that I lowered this brace. This can be adjusted once the front clip is in place.
Planning on more later tonite.
Torchie.

Attachments

• IMG_0270.jpg
    IMG_0270.jpg
    85.3 KB · Views: 30
  • IMG_0269.jpg
    IMG_0269.jpg
    92.2 KB · Views: 28
  • IMG_0271.jpg
    IMG_0271.jpg
    81.2 KB · Views: 31
  • IMG_0273.jpg
    IMG_0273.jpg
    78.2 KB · Views: 28
Last installment for today.
Got all the pieces/parts put together.
Cab will most likely need to be moved back about a inch. That way the notch on the 41 fenders lines up with the cowl. Or I could move the fenders forward and still have the tire look right in the wheel opening . This will also allow for better hinge clearence.
You can see from the pics that the majority if the work is going to be fitting the hood. The F series hood works at the cowl but you can see from the marker lines how much too wide it is. The 41 hood fits the front but the side panels are too short and the rear edge of the hood and the cowl don't match. So at this point I belive that I will be combining the two. (should be fun:rolleyes:) Back and part of the sides from the F series with the front and the center section coming from the 41. I want the hood to be recognisable as a 41 or at least close to it.
All in all I still believe that this is do able. Well that's it for now and as always comments and suggestions are welcomed.
Torchie.

Attachments

• IMG_0289.jpg
    IMG_0289.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_0285.jpg
    IMG_0285.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 49
  • IMG_0276.jpg
    IMG_0276.jpg
    68.4 KB · Views: 43
  • IMG_0288.jpg
    IMG_0288.jpg
    90.4 KB · Views: 39
Comments....

Nice Job......looks good.....the hood issue should be a piece of cake since you did the roof......like the build and so on and so on and so on...... :D..

After much mental enginering I went back out tonite and made some changes.
The pics that I posted last night showed what it would look like with the front fenders mounted to the cowl in sort of the stock F series location. Lots of tire deep into the fender due to the 6 inch channeling. If I was using bags this would work. Raise the truck up to drive height and we are good.
But since this is a static drop we need to approach it from a different angle. As always the original custom masters provided me with the answer.
Back in the day when ever a car(or truck) was channeled deep, to allow for wheel clearence and to give a better over all look to the car they raised the fenders up. So thats what I did. It helped 2 issue's that I will be dealing with. First is the wheel clearence and 2nd is the hood.
So these pics show the front fenders in what is pretty close to the stock 41 car mounting position. Height is stock but the inner fender brace is moved forward a little over an inch moving the entire clip forward a like amount.
This showing lot of possibilities. So I guess that I need to roll the truck back out and get it down on the wheels again. I think that I will have to wait for some help. It was hard enough moving that front clip by myself:eek:
Torchie.

Attachments

• IMG_0323.jpg
    IMG_0323.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_0324.jpg
    IMG_0324.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 33
  • IMG_0325.jpg
    IMG_0325.jpg
    98.1 KB · Views: 35
Looking good Torchie. I wonder if you could blend the two hoods? Truck hood at the cowl, blended out to what you have there. Might make matching the cowl area easier.

Latest posts

Back