1952 F-6 Build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Did some more of the boring stuff on the roof.
Took your lead gold.(Disclaimer-Actors were used to portray the real life people in these pics);)
Does it look any better is it just that I have been looking at it too much?
Torchie.

Attachments

• IMG_0670.jpg
    IMG_0670.jpg
    68.1 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_0668.jpg
    IMG_0668.jpg
    87.4 KB · Views: 50
Hey that is looking good! [cl

I forgot, but I used an adjustable pipe stand to dolly against for a particularly tough section. I don't have a porta-power yet.

While I continue to work on the roof I am breaking up the tedium by working on other parts as well.
After grinding and hammering on the roof for a while I stated to work on the 41 hood. Stripped the chrome. And stripped the paint off of one side. Getting this hood prepped for the mating ;) with the F series hood. Got to love the look of bare metal:D
Torchie.

Attachments

• IMG_0672.jpg
    IMG_0672.jpg
    85.4 KB · Views: 45
  • IMG_0674.jpg
    IMG_0674.jpg
    66.1 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_0676.jpg
    IMG_0676.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_0678.jpg
    IMG_0678.jpg
    82.3 KB · Views: 53
Current state of affairs. Sad.

Would like to post some progress on the custom but other than stripping the other side of the hood, not much.
As you can see from the pics it's the old "5lbs of **** in a 3 lb bag" syndrome.
Good news is that I sold the wooden boat project. It couldn't have come at a better time for us cash flow wise but can't do much to the truck until they come and get it.
Boat is going 1600 miles down to Florida. The boat transporter called and said he was going to pick it up today. I said great. What are you hauling it in.
He says. Behind my pickup on the trailer it is sitting on. I start to laugh..and says I don't think so.
Turns out the purchaser thought that the guy had an enclosed trailer. So as I am not responsible for shipping he is seeking other avenues.. Hope to have it out of here soon so I can regroup and get back to the truck before we get much more snow.
Have a safe and Happy Thanksgiving to all who celebrate it.
Torchie.

Attachments

• IMG_0690.jpg
    IMG_0690.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_0689.jpg
    IMG_0689.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 39
  • IMG_0688.jpg
    IMG_0688.jpg
    85.1 KB · Views: 38
Glad to hear you are going to get some extra room to work. Is you work space heated? Mine is not so I have to work a while then warm up. I have a multi fuel salamander . But It can start to burn my eyes if I use the cheaper fuels. have a happy Thanksgivings weekend.

Only heat is a kerosene salamander IB.
I only use it when it gets really cold and then I crack a window for fumes. Most of the time I just put on my insulated Carharts and have at it. That's one of the reasons the boat took as long as it did. A little hard to varnish in a 25 degree garage:eek::eek:
Torchie.

Congrats on the sale! Sounds like you will have quite a bit more room in the workshop, and cash in your pocket, win win!

Thanks guys although I can't say that the cash will stay in my pocket very long
DR.:D I am thankful that it will help keep the wolves at bay:)
Looking forward to getting things rearanged in the shop as well as getting back to it as winter seems to be my most productive build time.
Most likely there will be another boat in there come spring time as my Bro in-law has one that he bought from me 20 years ago that he hasn't done anything with.[S
Torchie.

I'm with Earthman! Need to see the big picture.
So do I Earthman and gold, but these will have to do.
Got the front wheels turned to full lock to determine wheel opening/tire clearence.
Pic 1 shows front clip mounted at close to stock 41 car height. Cab has been blocked up from my initial mockup up to meet the hood level.
Pic 2 shows the current wheel openong/tire clearna
ce
Pic 3 show the front clip lowered down one and a half inches in the rear.
Pic 4 shows the rear hood edge sitting in the cowl indent.

The whole front clip can come down a couple of more inch's which will allow the cab to also be dropped back to close to my original mockup height.
Torchie.

Attachments

• IMG_0799.jpg
    IMG_0799.jpg
    76.5 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_0792.jpg
    IMG_0792.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 52
  • IMG_0790.jpg
    IMG_0790.jpg
    79.5 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_0420.jpg
    IMG_0420.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 54
Now that I see how closely that hood fits, I'm still thinking you would have less work to create filler panels on the cab body itself to match the hood lines at the back and sides.

That looks soo good on that truck, the more you fit it, the more it looks like it should have been that way from the factory!

Torchie if you have the original hood, take a look at doing as DR says. You can use the original hood to make fill panels. That would allow you to keep the lines of your new hood. Which look pretty cool! You could splice to the hood, but that point in the back of the good looks cool.

It's crazy how close that comes to fitting.

meanwhile some where in a garage in Northern Michigan...

Now that I see how closely that hood fits, I'm still thinking you would have less work to create filler panels on the cab body itself to match the hood lines at the back and sides.

That looks soo good on that truck, the more you fit it, the more it looks like it should have been that way from the factory!

Torchie if you have the original hood, take a look at doing as DR says. You can use the original hood to make fill panels. That would allow you to keep the lines of your new hood. Which look pretty cool! You could splice to the hood, but that point in the back of the good looks cool.

It's crazy how close that comes to fitting.

I agree with all of your comments guys.
I know that some may think that my refitting and readjusting the front clip to the cab seems obsessive but every time I do it gets closer.:)
I do have the F series truck hood as well as the 41 car.
Here are some pics that show the corner area of the 41 hood and the truck cowl.
41 hood is wider than the truck cowl so I will have to bring in the hood sides. Now I knew this going in which is why I didn't try to graft the 41 car fire wall/cowl onto the truck cab.
Probably pie cuts on top of hood on each side to bring them in.
To make up the gap I am looking at splicing the two hoods together. Most likely 95 percent 41 hood and 5 percent F-series hood rear making up the gap.
My logic for this is that I will then be able to use the F-series hood hinges to make the hood work.
If I just use the F-series hood to reshape the cowl then I will really have to come up with a totaly new hinge system:eek:

What ever way I go I've only got one of each hood. Could find a F-series hood locally if needed but chances of finding a 41 near me could be slimmer as it is a one year only production. No pressure, eh....
Hopefully more tomorrow.
Torchie.

Attachments

• IMG_1027.jpg
    IMG_1027.jpg
    91.3 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_1028.jpg
    IMG_1028.jpg
    75.3 KB · Views: 36
Now that Old Gold is back on RRR, you could ask for his opinion. The man is very experienced.

The use of car front sheet metal on your truck is so cool and you are doing a great job of getting the fit right.

Todays contribution.

Out in the garage despite the cold.
First pic shows how a fat, one legged guy lifts up a cab to remove a body mount spacer.....;)
Lowered the cab back down to my original mock-up height.

2nd pic.Lowered the front clip down another inch or so. Still lots of tire clearence.

3rd pic. Shimmed back edge of 41 car hood to line up with top of cowl.

4th pic. This is how it all sits right now. Hood/fender seam is good as is the hood nose/grill alignment.

The nose may still be a hair high but until I can turn it side ways and stand back it will stay like this.
The tires in these pics are the stock 41 Ford 600 X 16's. They have about a 28" height. Would like to run 15" rims as the wheel cover selection greatly expands plus I have a great set of 52 Olds sombrero style covers.
If I do go to the 15" rims I will still try to keep the same tire height as I don't like the look of a small tire in a big wheel opening.
If I stick with the 16" wheels I may try to source some 16"vintage Cadillac wheel covers.
On a side note the boat transporter is coming tomorrow at 7 a.m. to get the wooden boat so that will free up some much needed garage space.
Torchie.

Attachments

• IMG_1029.jpg
    IMG_1029.jpg
    110.5 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_1034.jpg
    IMG_1034.jpg
    89.5 KB · Views: 42
  • IMG_1031.jpg
    IMG_1031.jpg
    71 KB · Views: 41
  • IMG_1035.jpg
    IMG_1035.jpg
    105.9 KB · Views: 51
Elvis has left the building.

Boat gone as of 8 oclock this morning.
Next few days will be spent rearranging things in the shop and then moving forward on the custom.
Nice to have more room to work now!
Torchie.

Attachments

• IMG_1068.jpg
    IMG_1068.jpg
    85.2 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_1071.jpg
    IMG_1071.jpg
    90.3 KB · Views: 35
  • IMG_1067.jpg
    IMG_1067.jpg
    103.9 KB · Views: 35