1952 F-6 Build

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just in case "Jim Hunt"s guy is closed today...

Gleaned from flatheadv8.org

11'' disc should be .356 thick. They claim a friction disc is too soft to set finger height and solid plate should be used. (Everybody has a .356 steel plate lying around, don't they? :rolleyes:)

Torque this magical plate and PP to the flywheel. Adjust finger bolts to 7/8'' from the top of the PP cover - tolerance .010.

Great minds think alike DR. [cl :cool:
Same info that I have when I mentioned supposedly having the disc specs. And at this point I now know way too much more than I ever wanted to about Old Ford friction plate and PP.:p
My plan for tomorrow(Pending some help) is this.
Mic the friction disc that I have to at least get a "Ball park" number.
Then I am going to bolt the PP back onto the Olds flywheel and engine WITHOUT the friction disc.(Since i lent out my .356 Plate to some other poor sucker that likes to mess with obsolete stuff).:rolleyes:
Put the adapter back on And then mount the working trans.
Pull all the trans and bell housing inspection plates looking for clearance issues and to check the distance of the throwout bearing from the fingers, as well as trying to turn over the engine.
If all looks good and works as should then I have to surmise that the friction plate is the culprit. Which would be a great thing as it the cheapest fix. (Fingers crossed).[cl [cl [cl
More on this tomorrow evening...
Stay tuned for our next exciting episode of Torchies "As the clutch doesn't turn"..........
Torchie

Well it's not tomorrow but......

I rolled out to the shop(Yep. Back in the chair) and dug out my digital calipers.
Doing a random check all around the edge of the disc as well as into the disc as far as the jaws will reach yields measurements of .410- .425
As the good Dr posted. .356 is spec.
So now it begins......
Torchie

Last edited:
Well... that's a good start and try as I might, I can't find my .356 plate either. [S :D

I did find a bucket of body/fender shims, however. According to my (cheap) digital caliper, two fat (1/8'') shims and a standard 1/2'' flat washer stack up to .350, give or take a few thou.

Just a thought... a half dozen of these stacks and a yard of duct tape could serve as your disc... assuming .356 is the correct prescription, you'd have fairly accurate squeeze on the PP and hopefully, fingers in acceptable position.

Well... that's a good start and try as I might, I can't find my .356 plate either. [S :D

I did find a bucket of body/fender shims, however. According to my (cheap) digital caliper, two fat (1/8'') shims and a standard 1/2'' flat washer stack up to .350, give or take a few thou.

Just a thought... a half dozen of these stacks and a yard of duct tape could serve as your disc... assuming .356 is the correct prescription, you'd have fairly accurate squeeze on the PP and hopefully, fingers in acceptable position.

Dr. You have got to stop stealing my thunder.:) :D

I was most likely stacking washers as you typed that.:D [cl :p

The .356 you posted( As well as the steel plate trick) is the same number that I had found on multiple sites, so we will go with that for now. My friends at Wilcap gave me a .325 for the disc and a 2" finger measurement from the face of the fly wheel to the fingers. But no mention of our missing .356 steel plate.:eek:
If I am back in the leg tomorrow after taking the Mom's -in-law out to brunch I will make a run to the local hardware with my calipers and see if I can't find a small piece or pieces of flat steel to use, as my fender shim/washer bucket is not as full as yours.:eek::cool:
Torchie

You said, "Great minds think alike." [cl

I have a theory... or rather a belief, that my brother was switched at birth, 'cuz he's nothing like me.

Has your mother ever been to Saskatchewan? :D

Just in case "Jim Hunt"s guy is closed today...

Gleaned from flatheadv8.org

11'' disc should be .356 thick. They claim a friction disc is too soft to set finger height and solid plate should be used. (Everybody has a .356 steel plate lying around, don't they? :rolleyes:)

Torque this magical plate and PP to the flywheel. Adjust finger bolts to 7/8'' from the top of the PP cover - tolerance .010.

Let's face it. I really tired off messing with this Dr but now I once again have the bit in my mouth.
Rolled back out to the garage and since I can't get down on the floor to the Olds I will use the flathead PP on the bench.
Dug deeper into my bucket of washers and found some left over big boys from when I mounted the cab. These are slightly under the .356 specs but for the sake of me getting some sleep tonight they will have to work.
Stacked them up. Tightened down the pressure plate and laid a striaght edge across the top of the PP.
Well lookie here.....:D
I know it's slightly over the 7/8 but given the undersize of the shims I would say that we are in the ballpark.[cl :D [cl :D
If you look at the pics that show the centrifugal weights look closely at the spacing between the weight and the inside edge of the opening. Big difference between the two.
I'm thinking that that friction plate is looking like the culprit.
Well that's gonna be it for tonight as I am getting tired.
More tomorrow....
p.s. The last pic is of the new leg. Still not able to wear it full time yet. But it sure is pretty.
And my bro isn't anything like me either Dr. Don't know who was switched....
Torchie

Attachments

• IMG_1303.jpg
    IMG_1303.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_1305.jpg
    IMG_1305.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_1306.jpg
    IMG_1306.jpg
    84.2 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_1201.jpg
    IMG_1201.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 23
  • IMG_1298.jpg
    IMG_1298.jpg
    102.2 KB · Views: 24
  • IMG_1302.jpg
    IMG_1302.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 22
Kinda similar to a farmall cub PP from that era... we did a clutch on the cub and I swore if I have to do it again its getting a conventional pp setup.

I'm glad you sorted out the issue!

Kinda similar to a farmall cub PP from that era... we did a clutch on the cub and I swore if I have to do it again its getting a conventional pp setup.

I'm glad you sorted out the issue!

Interesting comment Rich. I know that some of the Model A owners that are running a Flathead in front of of an A trans(Or maybe its vice -versa) have found Ford tractor PP in their setups that were done back in the day.
I'm hopeful that this sorts out all of the issues. We will find out later today.
I had a farmall but never had to change the clutch out.
Torchie

Last edited:
[cl Way to go so, the clutch plate thickness is the problem [cl
What's you're plan of attack now [P
The new leg is a peach :cool:

Well OI. One of the 2 promised helpers has already backed out but my thoughts are this.
Going to pull the trans from the truck. Using the shims that I have we will attach the the PP to the Olds. Then attach the adapter and trans and have a look see.
The issue was 2 fold. One was the position of the PP fingers. Lack of travel and the fact that the throw out bearing didn't come close enough to touch the fingers. And the other was the fact that when it was all bolted together the engine won't turn over. Even with the trans in neutral.
I did a little dressing up of the pilot bearing ends as well. So all has yet to be revealed.
Look for more this evening......
Torchie.

Not much to show Pic wise but I believe that I have turned the corner on this issue.
So got my self down on the floor and managed to bolt up the PP with my crude but effective shims to the Olds engine/flywheel. Finger height is the same as it was when I bench tested in last night. Engine turns over . All is well.:)
My pal shows up and after some light banter we grab the empty trans case and bolt that up to the adapter and block to check for issues. All is still well.:) :)
At this point I made the command decision that rather than undo everything and pull the trans or leave in the trans and attach the engine to check for binding that i am going to leave all as it is until the new friction plate gets here.
I will order one tomorrow from Vanpelts and it should be here before the end of the week.
Not overly exciting. But there you have it.
Thanks for hanging in there with me...........
Torchie

Attachments

• IMG_1308.jpg
    IMG_1308.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_1310.jpg
    IMG_1310.jpg
    103.5 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_1311.jpg
    IMG_1311.jpg
    82.5 KB · Views: 15
Messing with some odds and ends while I wait for the new clutch disc.
Finished modifying the inner fender panels. Undercoated and the side that shows got a coat of paint.
Undercoated the insides of the front fenders.
Worked on replacing the hood latch pin that was cut off on the 41 hood. Drilled out the bolts that held the bracket in place. Managed to remove the remainder of the cut off pin. Resourced the pin from the F-1 hood.[cl.
Hopefully the disc gets here on Monday.
Thanks for stopping by.......
Torchie

Attachments

• IMG_1319.jpg
    IMG_1319.jpg
    92.3 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_1326.jpg
    IMG_1326.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_1325.jpg
    IMG_1325.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_1324.jpg
    IMG_1324.jpg
    90.5 KB · Views: 18
  • IMG_1323.jpg
    IMG_1323.jpg
    81.8 KB · Views: 16
  • IMG_1321.jpg
    IMG_1321.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_1320.jpg
    IMG_1320.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 16
Here's what happening.....

Had the young bloods over tonight.
Installed the new clutch disc. You can see the difference in the thickness just by looking at them.
Installed PP and adapter. Bolted up the trans and it still binds. The consensus is that the adapter bearing needs to be shaved down even more so we left off tonight more or less where we started.
Oh yeah. That's me back in the chair with the leg back off.
Heck of a way to run a business......
Torchie

Attachments

• IMG_1331.jpg
    IMG_1331.jpg
    90.1 KB · Views: 20
  • IMG_1335.jpg
    IMG_1335.jpg
    101.3 KB · Views: 22
  • IMG_1338.jpg
    IMG_1338.jpg
    105.6 KB · Views: 23