1953 Chevy, no spark, new coil

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Good to see it running - BUT - are ya going to tell us why no spark? honest we won't laugh.

I'm not scared... :p

The points were stuck closed! I picked up a new condenser and a new set of points from NAPA, but before I pulled the old ones out, I started playing with them. At first the points wouldn't open, they were stuck or rusted closed, but a little prying with a screwdriver and they opened and there was a spark! I decided to put the distributor cap back in place as-is and see if I had spark from the coil and I did... I put the coil wire back on, sprayed some stating fluid and cranked it over. Right away it was trying to start... a little more effort and it fired right up!

I should have checked the points right after replacing the coil, but I didn't. Lesson learned!

I'm going to swap in the new points and condenser later on, but at least it's running for now.

I forgot the link to the page with the video, but in case anyone hasn't seen it, it's at the bottom of page 5-

http://www.ratrodsrule.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12431&page=5

..........just for a future reference if you leave a key switch in the "on" position, it will burn up a set of points fairly quickly---don't ask me HOW i know that but i DO KNOW IT!!! :D

glad to hear ya got it goin, too[cl[cl

Latest posts

Back