1953 ford f100

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jensens ratrods

hi i have a 1953 1/2 ton ford truck .it has the flat head v8 but locked up .should i rebuild . and i just got a 94 s10 what is the best way to do this .use that frame .or use the 53 frame. will be running with no hood. looking to build older style rat rod thanks any info welcome thanks

2831141353_e93ff32c4d_m.jpg

hi i have a 1953 1/2 ton ford truck .it has the flat head v8 but locked up .should i rebuild . and i just got a 94 s10 what is the best way to do this .use that frame .or use the 53 frame. will be running with no hood. looking to build older style rat rod thanks any info welcome thanks

I'm pretty new myself, Karl, but it sounds like you're on the right track. Using the S-10 chassis will get you modern suspension and brakes, and the S-10 is a great aftermarket candidate. That is, there are tons of readily available performance upgrades (for lowering the suspension, strengthening the chassis, adding V-8 mounts, upgrading the braking system, etc).

If you're not gonna run a hood, tubular A-arms would be an aesthetic improvement over the clunky S-10 factory A-arms, in addition to allowing for a lower stance, but they're aren't particularly cheap. Dropped front spindles are available though, or you could buy lower springs or cut the factory springs down to get the right attitude.

In the back you could use inexpensive lowering blocks and traction bars. Or you can bag it and go for the air ride if it's in the budget. I wouldn't ruin a perfectly good '53 F-100, but if the truck is rough with an otherwise solid cab I'd not hesitate to plop it on the S-10 chassis. '94 S-10 suspension, wheels, brakes, and chassis parts are probably more readily available and less expensive than their '53 F-100 counterparts.

As for the flat head... I personally wouldn't rebuild it, but then I'm not a purist or flat head aficionado. I'd rather spend that rebuild money to prep a more modern power plant. Think 302, 351, 350 chevy, 390, or 500 caddy... something along those lines. Remember, you want to scare cell phone drivers and black cats ;)

And personally, I wouldn't use any part of the original '53 grill either (for aesthetic purposes). A more narrow radiator may be an expense, but for the overall look I believe it's money well spent. Then just find a suitable tractor grill to compliment the cab/bed lines.

These are just my opinions and your mileage may vary. LOTS of good people here who can chime in with more specific advice, but I think it really comes down to what you like (and possibly what you have to work with). If the truck's in good shape other than the stuck motor, you might consider selling it to an early F-100 fan who wants to restore it and just find a rat cab somewhere to put on the S-10 chassis.

In any case, have fun and welcome again to RRR!

Fred B.

53 ford f100

hello ya the cab is soilid has nice rust and patina . floor boards solid doors solid box solid wood in bed is gone . but to far to restore money wise . i got the whole truck for 500.00 . do have front clip mines fenders which is off. really like the look of the open motor old grill. so didnt know if i should but a motor in the 53 frame or put cab on s10 . i traded some old lumber for the s10 but it has typical wisconsin rust on it. and dont run verry good has its proplems.reason i traded was to put my 53 cab on it. but what do i keep off the s10 . to put on my 53 do i keep brake booster or buy new one stuff like that i do have a 1966 327 good runner and trany.

Again, I'm no expert, but I'd try to retain all of the S-10 components that I could. They were all designed to work together so you'll have less fitment issues that way. Use the master cylinder and pedal assembly, the steering box, perhaps even the steering column, all suspension components, the fuel tank (unless you plan to Z the frame in the rear), all the wiring that you can reuse, possibly the fuse panel, and stuff like that.

You'll have to buy or fab new motor mounts and tranny crossmember. You may want to round off the front frame horns and weld in a round front member (unless you plan to run bumpers).

I've seen a S-10 chassis conversion either on here or another forum so a quick search should lead to a build thread with lots of useful info. And if you're like onetondodge you may even want to reuse the flat head. Visually, flat heads are really neat. I like to see them in old cars and rat rods. But performance-wise, a 350 Chevy would give you way more bang for the buck. It all depends on what you like. Don't trash the old flat head though, plenty of people like 'em and who knows, you might wanna use it again yourself one day.

Fred B.

53 f 100

thanks for the info better not part out any of the s10 until I'm done .took the heads off the the flat head all cylinders full of water. lots of rust inside. but it is a complete motor. i will hang on to all parts from 53 . going to start disassembling s10 this week. will take picks on progress thanks for all the info don't want to sell something i need

Latest posts

Back