1954 GMC Panel Truck

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just for you Shakey! [P .... new pics of progress....this Monday starts my last week of summer school then I have a 3 week break that I can devote all my attention to project 54!

Attachments

• CIMG5721.jpg
    CIMG5721.jpg
    83.3 KB · Views: 58
  • CIMG5722.jpg
    CIMG5722.jpg
    118.7 KB · Views: 60
  • CIMG5729.jpg
    CIMG5729.jpg
    102.9 KB · Views: 68
  • CIMG5727.jpg
    CIMG5727.jpg
    69.1 KB · Views: 57
  • CIMG5724.jpg
    CIMG5724.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 52
  • CIMG5725.jpg
    CIMG5725.jpg
    59.8 KB · Views: 50
  • CIMG5713.jpg
    CIMG5713.jpg
    97 KB · Views: 53
  • CIMG5714.jpg
    CIMG5714.jpg
    87.1 KB · Views: 52
  • CIMG5717.jpg
    CIMG5717.jpg
    103.4 KB · Views: 67
My wood bed

I'm tore on what to do...there was a real thick lacquer or varnish type paint/material on the wood floor and it was super tough to sand through....I thought sanding to the original color was gunna be a cinch...was I ever wrong! My original idea was to get the original color back and then just put a ton of clear on it....like a basketball court and then just put a clear enamel on the steel slats because I like the antiquated look they bring...I need some ideas....I'm thinking of just laying a thick clear coat on it the way you see it in the photos...[S:confused:

There you are!

Just a tip...better give some of that attention to GF! lol.

Pic #4 looks pretty good. If thats not the color you want, you might try a translucient (it has some color in it) sealer, then polyurethane over that. Just a thought.

Good job too, BTW.

master cylinder problem

My new master cylinder won't fit because the automatic transmission is in the way....now what do I do? New master cylinder was designed to fit in stock location with manual gear box. [S

First off, congratulate yourself on finding a panel with such a solid original floor [cl ! It would have come from the factory painted, so you may be dealing with the original paint. Personally I would just go with clear on the sanded wood and bare steel slats, like you said a kool antique look.

Problem

My new master cylinder won't fit because the automatic transmission is in the way....now what do I do? New master cylinder was designed to fit in stock location with manual gear box. [S

Hey Brady.....I'm no pro on "under the floor" setups but there are plenty on here who are.... They can help remedy the problem.

I kind of like the wood floor as it looks now, maybe just clear over it.

The MC may have to be moved forward or backward. If this is an aftermarket set up, it should have an adjustable rod, that is probably too short anyway. You will probably have to add to the rod. Pictures would help.

Master cylinder fix!

With the help of my girlfriends dad, I've fixed the master cylinder dilemma! We pushed the unit back on the frame and drilled new bolt holes to mount it. Then he fabricated a new master cylinder rod out of steel, drilled and tapped a 3/8 - 18. The short rod is the original and the long rod is the new one I will be using. In the pics you will see the limited space between the transmission and the original mc bracket...when I have it all installed and bolted together I will take more pics and post them up too!! I can't wait to drive this down the road!

Attachments

• bracket to hold new master cylinder will be pushed back near cross member.jpg
    bracket to hold new master cylinder will be pushed back near cross member.jpg
    83.5 KB · Views: 48
  • CIMG5742.jpg
    CIMG5742.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 53
  • old mc rod, new stainless steel mc rod!.jpg
    old mc rod, new stainless steel mc rod!.jpg
    58.6 KB · Views: 54
  • original mc bracket.jpg
    original mc bracket.jpg
    56.8 KB · Views: 48
  • space between mc bracket and transmission.jpg
    space between mc bracket and transmission.jpg
    73.9 KB · Views: 51
  • drilled new bolt holes in frame.jpg
    drilled new bolt holes in frame.jpg
    56.2 KB · Views: 50
Update!

MC installed...been doing some painting...check out the new pics! more to come so stay tuned!! I'm working on the wood bed and it's going to be sweet when I have it all done!

Attachments

• tight fit.jpg
    tight fit.jpg
    70.2 KB · Views: 55
  • CIMG5753.jpg
    CIMG5753.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 51
  • not much room between MC and tranny.jpg
    not much room between MC and tranny.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 48
  • again, not much room as you can see..jpg
    again, not much room as you can see..jpg
    104.3 KB · Views: 50
  • CIMG5766.jpg
    CIMG5766.jpg
    117.3 KB · Views: 45
  • CIMG5767.jpg
    CIMG5767.jpg
    48.2 KB · Views: 43
  • CIMG5768.jpg
    CIMG5768.jpg
    49.2 KB · Views: 44
  • CIMG5769.jpg
    CIMG5769.jpg
    45.7 KB · Views: 46
  • CIMG5770.jpg
    CIMG5770.jpg
    56 KB · Views: 47
Hey i had some really old oil lacuer paint on my. House floors (great grandmothers idea) but i redid the floors with the same belt sander! Pain in the rear but i went down to 30 grit! Tore it off easily. Just had to go over it with finer sand paper a couple times ! Hope this helps

54 GMC Panel

I hit the wood floor with some 60 grit...then I went over it with some 180....I wasn't really concerned if I got all the old stuff off, I just wanted it to be smooth, nice and even. I just lightly sanded with some 220 grit and laid my second coat of polyurethane tonight...tomorrow morning I hope to sand again and lay down my third coat of polyurethane. I hope to lay like 5 or 6 coats down. So far it's looking good and has a real antiquated look which I like a lot, I'll take some pictures when it's complete and I'll show some before and after pictures.

That M/C looks tight up in there! Gonna need a access panel to fill it? Good job and can't wait for the floor pics. [P

Latest posts

Back