1955 Ford C600 Cabover

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Time is not your friend.

Time goes by fast but me and Buford are still kickin'.

Surgery has begun! Oh yeah....check out these pics. The cab is in place on the frame to begin cuttin' and slicing. I had to get it in place to see what to modify. I can see a couple of things are going to be different than I planned.

One change is that the fuel injection was seriously in the way of getting the cab as low as I want it. Besides, I'm an OLD hot rodder! I know fuel injected is better but I like carburetors. So....carb it's gonna be.

We lifted the cab with my engine hoist thru the door. Two eye bolts in the rear seat bolt holes and two body clamps to the metal brace at the bottom of the kick panel. One extra around a floor brace in the center for a safety. Worked great. Now I can move the cab side to side and roll the chassis back and forth to align everthing.

Next I'm gonna modify the floor and cab mounts. So....here we goooooo!
Thanks, Old Ladys Mad, for the help.

Attachments

• IMG_0109.jpg
    IMG_0109.jpg
    107.1 KB · Views: 188
  • IMG_0111.jpg
    IMG_0111.jpg
    113.5 KB · Views: 189
  • IMG_0120.jpg
    IMG_0120.jpg
    121.1 KB · Views: 188
  • IMG_0113.jpg
    IMG_0113.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 179
  • IMG_0116.jpg
    IMG_0116.jpg
    117.2 KB · Views: 169
  • IMG_0123.jpg
    IMG_0123.jpg
    116.9 KB · Views: 164
  • IMG_0125.jpg
    IMG_0125.jpg
    129.4 KB · Views: 160
Patina

I've been experimenting with paint. I don't want to do away with the patina but I don't care for the yellow color it is now. The existing paint is crackled in most places. I sprayed the hood with adhesion promoter and then sprayed it with a copper color. I let the black primer show thru in some places. In the sun you can see copper but when it's not in the sun, it appears kinda rusty color. I'm not sure if I like it.....what do you guys think? I am going to run a 56 grille painted a cream color and cream colored steel wheels.

I am taking many, many, MANY measurements before I start cutting! I think the steering may be a challenge. The gear box is a little far to the rear and is going to require that I have a shaft that goes straight up into the cab. I am going to have to use a very short column under the dash. Probably have to use a double joint at the gear box. But, it will work.....just straining my little brain...LOL.:(

Movin' on..............[S[S:confused:
Lynn

Attachments

• IMG_0044.jpg
    IMG_0044.jpg
    123.7 KB · Views: 123
  • IMG_0047.jpg
    IMG_0047.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 109
That paint looks fantastic! Give it a year and it'll look even better. As for steering, maybe a old delivery truck might have the set up you need?

Thanks

Thanks, Sam, i really appreciate your opinion. My plans are to paint the inside copper too, but slick and shiney. Thanks again.:D

Lynn

Thanks 2

Thanks Skull. I've used Borgeson joints but I've found another manufacturer whose steering joints I really like. They are very trim and take much less space. This company also sells a weld-in stub so you don't have to get the joint hot welding it in. The stubs are about 6-7 bucks and the u-joints are less expensive than Borgeson. Check out the link. (The stubs are on page 4)

http://woodwardsteering.com/images/steering universal joints.pdf

Thanks again
Lynn

I like the paint color and the cracks but not the black primer showing. But it's your build, your rules.

Cracked paint.

Hey thanks, guys. I really do value your opinions. That's why I asked. I am not offended. I have a plan in mind but it kinda evolves as I go, you know. I think I kinda agree on the primer. But I can't help it, I like the texture.

Thanks again for interest and comments. Keep 'em comin'. :):):)

Lynn

As for the paint, don't get too concerned what we say, it surely looks much different in person. I'd get as much of it painted as soon as possible, that way it will get patina'd (not quite a word?) while you work on it.

Metal work.

I think you're right , Sam. But I've got to replace the bottoms of both doors before I can paint. I may paint the back of the cab soon. Before I do anything, I've got to remove the existing cab mounts and cut the floor out for the engine. Then I can lower the cab down to where it will be mounted. The dang thing is so far up in the air now I'd have to work off an 8 foot step ladder to reach it! LOL.

But...good advice. Thanks.:D

Lynn

Hello ?

Yep, still here. I've not made as much progress as I had hoped. But we're getting some stuff done. Workin' on the engine. New timing chain, oil pump and pickup, water pump. Bought a new Weiand intake and a used Edelbrock 600. A friend is putting a kit in it (cross your fingers...lol). Hopefully, after the holiday, I can finish that stuff and get on with fitting the cab.

I'll post pics when there is something to show. BTW, bought some cool lanterns to use for brake and tail lights. Gonna put LEDs in em. Got a deal on them....25 bucks each. Here are pics.

I'll be around......

Lynn

Attachments

• IMG_0139.jpg
    IMG_0139.jpg
    77.2 KB · Views: 72
  • IMG_0138.jpg
    IMG_0138.jpg
    61.6 KB · Views: 44
Just an update

Progress is being made. We moved the cab back out of the way so we could lift the motor up. We have replaced the timing chain and gears, water pump, oil pump, and installed a new Weiand intake. We are going to replace the rear main seal while we have the engine out.

After we get it back in, I'm gonna start fitting the cab to the frame. Just figured it would be best to replace this stuff now rather rhan later.

Gonna order my inner door bottoms and lower outer door skins tomorror.

Lynn

Attachments

• IMG_0144.jpg
    IMG_0144.jpg
    123.9 KB · Views: 84
  • IMG_0145.jpg
    IMG_0145.jpg
    67.7 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_0146.jpg
    IMG_0146.jpg
    80.4 KB · Views: 77
  • IMG_0147.jpg