1955 Ranch Wagon Cruiser

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Color!

Sealer, base and clear on the inside of the doors! They came out pretty good - light makes all the difference.

001_1.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

The hinges are hanging in the background.

002_1.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I figured it out - this fender causes rain. For the third time it has rained while I'm trying to finish sand it (doing it outside). Sorry about the fuzzy pics.

004.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Thanks Torchie.

I have the roof and the jambs ready to shoot. The car is masked, I just need to move it out to the booth. But I looks like Monday before I'll be able to do it. I'm having trouble waiting.

Roof is painted!

Rolled the car into the "spray booth" Monday and staged it to paint the roof and jambs. Started this morning at 4:30 and finished the roof about 9:00. I'll need to do the same thing tomorrow with the jambs.

roof%20paint%20012.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Couldn't get very good pics, but the reflections are pretty straight.

roof%20paint%20013.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I couldn't reach the center and keep the gun perpendicular to the roof. So there is probably some striping in the center, but I can't see it. Other than quite a few dust nibs I think it came out pretty good. I'm happy with it, at least for now.

I had problems shooting the sealer - too many things to think about. Managed to walk off the end of the bench once. When I got to the base it went a lot better. I tacked between coats and got rid of a lot of over spray.

Tailgate

I decided I couldn't do a good enough job by mechanically stripping the tailgate. I took it and some other parts to Strip Your Ride and they had them ready in about 2 hours. Interesting chicken wire and bondo repair.

roof%20paint%20004.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Doug offered to help me with a repair. We started with the idea of replacing the whole skin, them decided on 75% and ended up making the bottom 20%.

roof%20paint%20010.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Here's Doug turning the hem on the bead roller.

roof%20paint%20006.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I ground the edge and chiseled off the lip.

roof%20paint%20007.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Cut off the offending metal. I wired brushed and treated the rust with a converter.

roof%20paint%20009.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

The top to bottom contour is the same all the way across the tailgate. We made gauges going the other direction as well.

roof%20paint%20019.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

The hem and rust converter.

roof%20paint%20022.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

I'm still working on it. Looks like I'll have to cut access hole in the inside panel so I can get a dolly on the backside of the weld.

Tail gate repairs

The photos and description make it look easy. How did that joggle where the repair section joins the panel work out?

The photos and description make it look easy. How did that joggle where the repair section joins the panel work out?

(This is the guy who I helped make the patch panel.)
It's not working out real well so far. It could have been a little deeper. I wedged the metal into place to fit the contour and screwed it together, which worked well. But when I tacked the two pieces together, they shrunk like crazy. No room behind the seam for a dolly.

Tail gate

For future reference - put the patch panel seam where you can get to both sides. If we had moved it up about 2 inches life would have been much easier.

Tailgate4%20009.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

The tack welds shrunk a lot. There's no room to hold a dolly and know where it is. So I bent a piece of 3/4" square, solid bar to fit the contour gauge and wedged it in place. It only goes between the hinges. It both pushes the metal into shape and is supposed to work as a dolly to help stretch the weld. It doesn't know it's second job very well, yet.

Tailgate4%20006.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Tailgate4%20007.jpg
[/URL][/IMG]

Still working on it. Ideas?

Looking good [cl
```````````````````````
an 8' car is great, i've never had better than a 10'er :eek:
it' great watching builds coming together[P

I say again, SWEET!

I had that problem of not being able to get to the back side of a weld so I feel your pain. Stay after it, you'll get it I'm sure.

Bravo on the roof paint.[cl [cl [cl [cl
It's a little late now but it may have been less work just to re skin the entire tailgate given that you have some one that looks like they have the right equipment to make a new skin.
As POPS said. Keep at it and you will get it.
Torchie.

Latest posts

Back