1956 F100 Angry Bird

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Looks good! A power brake bleeder is the way to go. most shops have them these days. It is a one man bleeding procedure after that and it helps with pesky air pockets.

Ha - I thought that is what this was all about - but at the same time, I hear you. I am leaning toward the functionality of a real bed, but with a hinged option for show.

However, I am going to jump ahead here. After a front end alignment last week, I scooted over to Harbor Freight to get a $17 pneumatic hacksaw to install some bear claw latches, and while at the check-out, I notice several people at my truck out in the parking lot. They were still there when I got out of the store and were talking about the IRS - two of them knew exactly what it was, having owned similar. One of them came up to the truck expecting a tricked out 302 and was so pleased when he saw a more modern engine and even better, looked into the bed to the matching IRS.

And these were young guys! They said that there had been 10 people around the truck at one point! I wasn't the show-off - my truck was! Without plexi-glass! But hey, isn't there a little bit of that attitude in all of us when we go about creating something like this? The best compliment from these young guys was how "bad ass" the truck was! Later that day, a pretty young tattooed gal said the same thing! If I had had a hood over the motor, and a bed in the back, I would have missed some great interaction with some young people who actually appreciated seeing ALL that had been done on the project!

That said, I really do want some functionality too...

Appreciate the feedback!

John

If you want yours to be showy and a conversation starter, that could help decide your direction. Personally, I don't care too much about the attention mine gets, and sometimes get tired of it. My thrill is driving something that once only existed in my brain, and it turning out better than I ever imagined.

I made my hood easy to remove so I have the option of running with or without it. Having an unusual engine choice as well, even without the hood most guys don't know what mine is. I prefer to have a sleeper that people assume has a SBC, rather than continually answering the "what is it?" question. I already get enough "What colour are you painting it?" inquiries.

Besides, I wanted mine to look like something that could have been built years ago, and with the hood on and a full bed floor it's very inconspicuous. If you have a different idea in mind for yours, you should stick with that!

Thanks Snopro - I'm with you, although I started out wanting a street rod, and ended up here because I soon learned how over rated paint is (even though I do appreciate a well done paint job). It's just that this type project seems to catch peoples imagination more. The unexpected as you say.

I like the puzzled looks I get. One guy at the gas station last week asked me what the engine was and I said "3.8L". He repeated me. "A 3.8L? You mean its like...a 6 cylinder?!" - Ya, like 3 on each side.

Question - how did you get your hood to be easy on/off? I am thinking of panelizing my hood since it is so big.

John

Thanks Snopro - I'm with you, although I started out wanting a street rod, and ended up here because I soon learned how over rated paint is (even though I do appreciate a well done paint job). It's just that this type project seems to catch peoples imagination more. The unexpected as you say.

I like the puzzled looks I get. One guy at the gas station last week asked me what the engine was and I said "3.8L". He repeated me. "A 3.8L? You mean its like...a 6 cylinder?!" - Ya, like 3 on each side.

Question - how did you get your hood to be easy on/off? I am thinking of panelizing my hood since it is so big.

John

My hood is completely different than yours so my method of making it easy to remove was modifying the rear hold down. On yours I would try and make the hinges quick release, or just Dzus the entire hood on.

I went to your photobucket site snopro and now see what you mean. Totally different hood.

Here is what I am thinking, with a removable center panel. Maybe with the fasteners you mentioned.

I have only found one example online. Has anyone else done this? I am envisioning a little wider cut, but want to maintain the nice curvy profile of the lower hood to fender.

I am thinking maybe a fake cobra to jump up when people stick there noses in...

Attachments

• pop top hood.jpg
    pop top hood.jpg
    26.3 KB · Views: 112
I went to your photobucket site snopro and now see what you mean. Totally different hood.

Here is what I am thinking, with a removable center panel. Maybe with the fasteners you mentioned.

I have only found one example online. Has anyone else done this? I am envisioning a little wider cut, but want to maintain the nice curvy profile of the lower hood to fender.

I am thinking maybe a fake cobra to jump up when people stick there noses in...

attachment.php

If you're wanting to do that I think having a removable piece would be a pile of work and difficult to pull off, but that's just my thoughts. In that case if you really want the ability to do both I would do a full hood and a centerless hood, and make it easy to switch. Or just one with the center cut out and leave it at that. Keep in mind the center will probably lose a lot of shape once you cut it out, so you would need some kind of frame under it to keep its shape.

To me the centerless hood idea would be a bit out of place on your truck, but that's just my thoughts.

You could go with a plexi insert ala the 54 Fords dealer demo cars. Ford made these for there dealers to show off the then new Y-block engines. You might consider one running length wise on each side of the hood top.
And then pick up another hood and use for the stock look. Also you could consider going with hood pin system to make it easier to remove the hood.
Torchie.

Attachments

• 1954FordSkyliner_01_700.jpg
    1954FordSkyliner_01_700.jpg
    116 KB · Views: 30
  • 1954FordSkyliner_04_700.jpg
    1954FordSkyliner_04_700.jpg
    80.2 KB · Views: 33
Interesting sales concept. But really exaggerates what snopro didn't like about an open bed with plexiglas. At least in a bed you might be able to actually use the flat surface to support something. This concept has no shame whatsoever!

My current hood is quite out of "square" as it is. I figure cutting it might just allow me to align it for the first time. It is quite fatigued along the back edge.

Welcoming more thoughts and critiques on this idea.

John L.

If you cut your viewing window & can get it back to square, you could build your structure back up with a lip on the underside around the opening & use quarter turn fasteners to re-attach the 'window.'
-Chaz

Interesting sales concept. But really exaggerates what snopro didn't like about an open bed with plexiglas. At least in a bed you might be able to actually use the flat surface to support something. This concept has no shame whatsoever!

My current hood is quite out of "square" as it is. I figure cutting it might just allow me to align it for the first time. It is quite fatigued along the back edge.

Welcoming more thoughts and critiques on this idea.

John L.

I'm actually more on board with the hood idea. At least it's accessible in and out to clean. The whole thing I don't like with the bed idea is taking a useful part of the truck and making it a showpiece. I foresee something that is continual maintenance in cleaning and not wanting to put anything in the box for fear of scratching it. I use the box in mine all the time, old truck cabs don't allow much room for stuff.

I'm actually more on board with the hood idea. At least it's accessible in and out to clean. The whole thing I don't like with the bed idea is taking a useful part of the truck and making it a showpiece. I foresee something that is continual maintenance in cleaning and not wanting to put anything in the box for fear of scratching it. I use the box in mine all the time, old truck cabs don't allow much room for stuff.

Agreed snopro which is why I posted the pics of the Ford demo 54 cars. Good way to show off the engine yet still run a hood.
I imagine if one was to get on a parts site for conversion vans one could come up with a old style non-opening hippy van window with frame that would fit. Square the hood up and install the window. Ley the bragging begin....:)
Torchie.

Thanks for all the comments. I have been looking at ways to highlight the engine with more than just grey and black. Still getting up the courage to wack into that hood. Once its done, its done. So lots of different cutout shapes are being explored.

Not buying into the plexiglass idea yet. Seems too sanitary for a rat rod.

In the meantime, I am building bucket seat supports. Something other than the sheet metal channels I've used to date.

John L.

Okay this task was found to help delay addressing the inevitable hood cutting. But something on my to-do list none the less. I had used 18 ga sheet metal channels as temporary seat supports, as they were wide enough to allow using the T-bird bolting arrangement as-is, except they were rather squishy. My plan was to replace them with tubular brackets once some carpeting could be installed.

So I got an extra dense carpet kit for the F100, but because I now have a large tunnel where a flat floor used to be and because that tunnel is not centered, I had to carefully determine where to slit the kit down the middle, so it could tuck up and under the console evenly. I was pleased with the result. Extra sound padding helped the noise control inside even more.

The seat brackets were a bear to put in after the compressor system and gas tank had already been installed underneath. Overall, the work neatened the interior appearance up considerably.

Some of the pics may show the new fork lift seat belts I got from Northern Tool which were very compact and long enough to reach with the retractor on the floor.

Delay, delay, delay...

Attachments

• New seat supports, floor carpet, wall carpet.jpg
    New seat supports, floor carpet, wall carpet.jpg
    122.5 KB · Views: 38
  • Wall to wall carpet 2.jpg
    Wall to wall carpet 2.jpg
    87.3 KB · Views: 36
  • interior redo.jpg
    interior redo.jpg
    115.8 KB · Views: 35
Didn't figure that would catch a lot of rat rodders attention. Getting too much street rod comfort.

How about this, then. My truck came with a bunch of spare parts crammed into this shipping crate. I was missing a good spot to secure tools, jack, etc. so this worked out perfect. And also hung the spare tire where it belongs.

The hood cut out is next, I promise...

John L.

Attachments

• Trunk.jpg
    Trunk.jpg
    118.3 KB · Views: 26
  • Trunk and spare tire.jpg
    Trunk and spare tire.jpg
    111.6 KB · Views: 26
Didn't figure that would catch a lot of rat rodders attention. Getting too much street rod comfort.

How about this, then. My truck came with a bunch of spare parts crammed into this shipping crate. I was missing a good spot to secure tools, jack, etc. so this worked out perfect. And also hung the spare tire where it belongs.

The hood cut out is next, I promise...

John L.

Absolutely nothing wrong with being comfortable at all! I think that looks great!
Modern creature comforts just make it that much better, and you will WANT to drive it more and more as a result, its a win-win in my opinion! :)

Latest posts

Back