1959 GMC Fleetside

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Back at it, got the entire box disassembled ready for measuring. Also picked up a complete 59 GMC front clip to replace some bad parts on mine.

attachment.php

This photo is one I found on line
attachment.php

This is my crude cut and paste to show the mods. I'm thinking the box is too short, I may not make it a complete short box. Take the full 12.5 "out of the back and only 3 or 4"out of the front?

attachment.php

I was just about to suggest doing it that way. I'm curious, is changing the overall length so it'll fit on the newer Chevy truck frame?

I found measurements from GM and it looks like a long bed is 9.25" longer front and back than a factory short bed. I think your longer cab is going to change things visually a lot. I would start there and do the bed after, to get a cohesive overall look. I think doing most off the back will be a lot, considering factory short bed proportions. However I'm sure you'll knock it out of the park.

Here's a good resource for measurements in case you weren't aware of it. https://www.gm.com/content/dam/company/no_search/heritage-archive-docs/vehicle-information-kits/chevrolet-trucks/1959-Chevrolet-Truck.pdf

Thanks Collin Thats the pages I'm working from.

I did some interesting calculations.

Percentage of bed behind center of rear wheel for different generations of GM fleetside trucks:

1959: Long bed: 51.9%; Short Bed: 51.5%
1965: Long Bed: 48.5%; Short Bed: 51.1%
1985: Long bed: 47.8%; Short Bed: 54.0%
1993: Long bed: 53.5%; Short Bed: 60.1%
2005: Long Bed: 42.7%; Short Bed: 46.8%

These numbers were based on what was available for measurements, so the 2005 are a little more iffy than the others but gives you an idea of how proportions have changed over the years and what percentages you may be after. The 1993 numbers don't make a lot of sense but I ran the numbers for that body style from 3 different years and it was the same for each year.

The later trucks (at least 67 and up) taper at the bottom of the box side from the rear wheel well to the back of the box and I think it makes it appear shorter. The 55-66 trucks seem to be flat, and it tricks the eye into the proportions looking weird.

Very interesting, thanks for doing that. I'm thinking a little longer in the front to compensate for the cab should do it. Interesting measurement comparison is the longbox front bumper to rear of cab is 105"and back of cab to rear of box is 102" short box rear of cab to rear of box is 82.44. My thinking is if I add the same extra length to the box I'm adding to the cab it should stay the same ration just move the axle back a bit.[S

From seeing your work, I figure you've got a pretty good eye! Lay it out in your mind the best you can, then paint that steel canvas! I bet it'll turn out great...

Thanks smallfoot I appreciate it.

The thick pillar is what throws it off. If you extend the door that same amount and keep the narrow B pillar, it will look like the top has been chopped a bit due to the longer window. Or extend both the door and widen the pillar the same amount.

Just my two cents,:rolleyes:might not be worth that…:D

Thanks Bama, I don't think may crude cut and paste is showing it very well, I'm not sure how noticable the B pillar is going to be when all said and done.

Lord hates a coward so I did my measuring, made up my mind and started cutting. I have the right hand side cut and tacked welded back together. I deceided on 4"off the front and 10.5 off the back this will make it a mid length box instead of 82.44 long it is 8.5".

I think it was Tripper that coined the phrase "getting old isn't for sissies" Boy is he right. I'm loving retirement but working my body like I am 20 years younger than I am.:( I have had lots of trouble with my right knee and many surgeries on it, about 5 weeks ago I thought I had tweaked my back and it was causing pain in my right leg NOT Doc did some xrays and I guess my right knee is completely shot, no cartilage left between the bones. He put me on some anti inflammatory drugs that help the knee a bit but aggrivated and old shoulder injury really sucks. The average wait for a knee replacement here is 467 days.:eek:

attachment.php

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• Resize of 1959 GMC #3 014.jpg
    Resize of 1959 GMC #3 014.jpg
    99.1 KB · Views: 23
  • Resize of 1959 GMC #3 015.jpg
    Resize of 1959 GMC #3 015.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 23
  • Resize of 1959 GMC #3 012.jpg
    Resize of 1959 GMC #3 012.jpg
    102.6 KB · Views: 23
Looks good Glen. The proportions should be perfect.

This spring my wife waited 3 weeks for knee replacement. Sorry you have such a long wait.

Finally got the right side bed side completed, lots of rust repair in the rear stake pocket structure. I also scored a deal on a set of LS headers from VEVOR stainless steel polished looks like really good quality for only $137. cdn about $95. U.S.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• Resize of 1959 GMC Fleetside#4 007.jpg
    Resize of 1959 GMC Fleetside#4 007.jpg
    108.7 KB · Views: 16
  • Resize of 1959 GMC Fleetside#4 008.jpg
    Resize of 1959 GMC Fleetside#4 008.jpg
    105.5 KB · Views: 16
  • Resize of 1959 GMC Fleetside#4 009.jpg
    Resize of 1959 GMC Fleetside#4 009.jpg
    91.4 KB · Views: 16
The box looks right on Glen! Had my knee done last year, best thing I ever did, doing the physio is critical to success, no more hobbling around :)
I thought the wait time in BC was bad, sometimes there are cancellations and you may move up the line....

The box looks right on Glen! Had my knee done last year, best thing I ever did, doing the physio is critical to success, no more hobbling around :)
I thought the wait time in BC was bad, sometimes there are cancellations and you may move up the line....

Thanks Charlie, I'm hoping the wait is on the shorter end of the estimate.

Had my left knee done and it feels much better.
The only thing I've found on most of those style header is, you need to buy the plug wires that have an angled boot so it'll miss the tubes and it depends on which coils (round or square) ya have to which length wires ya need..
I generally purchase them on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08YNJMSH8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08GFLZF66/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Had my left knee done and it feels much better.
The only thing I've found on most of those style header is, you need to buy the plug wires that have an angled boot so it'll miss the tubes and it depends on which coils (round or square) ya have to which length wires ya need..
I generally purchase them on Amazon.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08YNJMSH8/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B08GFLZF66/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Thanks OI, I'm looking forward to having it done. I will look into the wires when I get to installing headers.

Pretty slow getting the box shortened, can't seem to work as long in the shop as I used too.[S[S
I think the proportions turned out great. I just have it sitting on the 03 chassis it will have to go forward about 2".

attachment.php

attachment.php

Attachments

• Resize of 1959 Chevy Fleetside #7 013.jpg
    Resize of 1959 Chevy Fleetside #7 013.jpg
    114.7 KB · Views: 23
  • Resize of 1959 Chevy Fleetside #7 012.jpg
    Resize of 1959 Chevy Fleetside #7 012.jpg
    98.8 KB · Views: 21
All that bad knee talk is making me hurt. I've been bound and determined not to have to replace mine. 30+ years of climbing poles on hooks takes it's toll on hips and knees. Getting down to work isn't bad. It's that getting up again stuff!
It's looking good dozer!

Latest posts

Back