1966 galaxie

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TooManyIdeas

hi guys. i know its hard to judge a cars value without looking at it but what would you say the value of a 1966 galaxie 500 2 door hard top would be? It is a 390 4v automatic. The car has ben sitting under a shelter for 10 years there is some surface rust and the paint is coming off, the only major rust i saw was in the drivers side quarter it has rusted out a small area . The interior is in pretty good shape only where the driver sat is wore. it also has an ac system that looks like it was dealer installed. i don't know if the engine is locked up but i was told that it had started using oil before it was parked . The car has 150,000 odd miles on it so i figure it is due for a rebuild anyhow. All the chrome and emblems look like they would buff out real good. The car is mostly original which i don't really care about i just want a driver.

The problem is that the guy wants me to make an offer but i don't know what to offer. I want to be fair but i am also a cheep ass.
What do u thank?
Thanks

Nothing ventured, nothing gained....

if you make an offer all he can say is nope..... if you like the car it's time for Lets make a deal.... offer low you can always come up.... just remember it's probably worth $300 in scrap value alone..... place to start... check your local scarp yard for prices per pound and multiply that times 4000 lbs ..... what can you lose???

Why should the pressure be on you? He has an idea what he would take for it but he is hoping you will offer him more than that.Ask him straight out if he's thinking it is a classic collectable before making an offer if he won't give you a price. Not worth much more than scrap in my opinion. It is not even a good rat donor candidate unless it will start without smoking and knocking and it will cost more than it's worth to restore the big gas guzzeling barge back to being a reliable daily.
That all being said i love those big Fords :)

I love thoughs big old Fords, my first car on the road was a 65 Galaxie. However they are notorious for the front torque boxes in the frame rotting out. In my experience one with that many miles has likely got that problem. Add to that it's been sitting for 10 years. If it's sitting on a dirt floor shelter that would be even worse. My advice is take another really hard look at this area of the frame before you buy. It's not an easy fix....been there done that.

Why should the pressure be on you? He has an idea what he would take for it but he is hoping you will offer him more than that.Ask him straight out if he's thinking it is a classic collectable before making an offer if he won't give you a price. Not worth much more than scrap in my opinion. It is not even a good rat donor candidate unless it will start without smoking and knocking and it will cost more than it's worth to restore the big gas guzzeling barge back to being a reliable daily.
That all being said i love those big Fords :)

I pretty much agree with Eman.........especially the last statement:D
Had a couple Galaxies over the years, here's my '66 from 1980, complete with mismatched wheels and 'Roger Ward Indy Champ' L-60's......when's the last time you saw a pair of those? :p
mygalaxieLarge.jpg

When I first became interested in cars (mid to late sixties) lots of cars could be had for 50-100$ and my dad used to say "any car is worth $50" which is what I paid for my first car (actually a '53 IH pickup). The day of the 50$ car is over for the most part and now MY rule of thumb is "any car (that you like and would own) is worth $500"...........so if he won't price it and you would like to have it I'd offer him $500 for it. You could probably part it out for darn near that and still get a couple hundred out of it for scrap. JMO.....offered for nothing and worth every penny!:D

The problem is that the guy wants me to make an offer but i don't know what to offer. I want to be fair but i am also a cheep ass. What do u thank?

I love it when old pharts tell me this. I come back right away and sort of laughingly say, well how about $100. When they act surprised, I ask them how much they really want. Usually works for me, if not I go to $500 if I really want it.

Beercan

I love it when old pharts tell me this. I come back right away and sort of laughingly say, well how about $100. When they act surprised, I ask them how much they really want. Usually works for me, if not I go to $500 if I really want it.

Beercan

Exactly!

OK, I gottta know...

Beercan

When do you officially become an "OLD PHART"?????

Latest posts

Back