1st Time build looking for lots of input on a frame

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stealnart

This is my first rat rod build and i really would like to do as much as i can myself i found this old girl at my old city dump with a tree growing though it. I really look back now and wish i would have got some pictures of that. I would love any input on how to get started on the frame i ordered some 2x4x1/4" rect tube and new steel for the back and the floor. Any input or opinions are appreciated

Thanx
Troy

Attachments

• pic2.jpg
    pic2.jpg
    87.9 KB · Views: 49
Frame

Welcome to the site, the best advice I can give is look at all the builds, research old threads and find what you like then we can help you out on ideas, lots of very talented builders on here, and everyone will help out.
you need to think about how its going to sit, how long you want it, east coast long or west coast short, low or high, what front suspension you want to run, what rear suspension 4 bar?, ladder bar?, leaf spring? rear end, lots of options. make it the way you want it, you have to drive it and feel good about what you built.

You would do well to spend a few hundred and find a decent cab. That thing is beyond saving. As far as a frame goes, same advice as already given. Do some searches and spend some time in the build threads, we have some awesome fabricators and some real good old shadetree mechanics all with lots of good tips.
I personally use 4 of those old camper screw jacks and get everything level in all directions. Then I pull square from corner to corner just like you were laying out a foundation for a building. Start with a little tack weld in each corner, then recheck. Weld a bit more on each corner, recheck again. If you weld too much at a time with this method, you stand a chance of the welds pulling it out of square when they cool. On my present build, due to the 1/4 eliptic rear, I had the frame square up and the car sitting on the springs when I designed and built the rear kick up.

Look for a frame for a 32 ford or something along those lines. If this is your first build and judging from what you have to start with that would be your best bet. A few guys on here can fab you up a basic frame for a good price. There is a bunch of stuff to take into consideration when building a frame from scratch and it might get a bit overwhelming for you.

That said if you're mind is set on doing a scratch built frame before you buy anything you might want to get things laid out first. Figure out which suspension your going to use front and back. What ride height you want to be at. Then mock things up with wood or some guys even drawl it out to scale with chalk on the shop floor. Then before you cut any metal...get all of your parts; suspension pieces, rims and tires, motor and trans, rear end assembly and mock it up again. Measure everything 10 times then measure it again. 1/4" box tubing is overkill unless you plan to haul big loads or go off-road with it. 3/16" 2x4 or 2x3 will work fine. Make sure your welding skills are up to par as well. Don't make this the first thing that you've ever welded...remember you'll be driving this thing on the road. You're welder has to be 220v or better...120v welder just won't cut it. Above all safety first.

-Another Troy :rolleyes:

Latest posts

Back