2 speed Mopar Auto

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SugarRay8

Not every time, but quite often when we fire the car up for the first time, the transmission pukes out fluid from the top of the dipstick tube.

We don’t have it over filled (based on the dipstick) and everything seems fine/works when we drive it.

Only does it on an initial start, once we’ve driven it and restart it, doesn’t happen again.

Anyone have an idea of what might cause this?

Check the vent tube on top to make sure it's not plugged up.
A buddy of mine had the same problem the other day, come to find out the mud dobbers filled the vent tube while it was sitting around being built.
We ran a mig wirer in it and then blew it out with the air hose, everything is good now.

The vent on this transmission is more of a cap, we could not find any debris. We did have the cooling lines capped off, so we removed those and ran a line between them. Looks like that has fixed it.

Yeah, we had them capped off when the trans was sitting around and never gave it another thought.
When I looked to see if the vent was plugged I noticed the caps and thought DUH! :eek:

Some early powerflytes were air cooled.

Yes, we are running one of the air cooled bell housings, at least that's what we were told it is. But the main body has the ports/lines for the cooler. When we took the front fitting (cap) loose, it had pressure on it.

That's cool. I had a 70 model six banger AMC Rebel. The tranny lost reverse so I figured it was time for a whole eng/trans swap. I stuck a 350 Olds/Turbo350 combo in. It never struck me, when I pulled the six out, there weren't any trans cooling line fittings on the radiator. The darn thing didn't have any cooling lines. I wound up cutting half the radiator support out anyway to fit the Olds radiator and a couple of electric fans. No transmission cooling lines!! No wonder it didn't last but 32 years.:)

Latest posts

Back