2000 GMC help.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FlatBroke

Hostage Negotiator
I bought my 2000 GMC 2500 4X4 over a year ago and love it.
When I bought it, it was stuck in "Trip" odo mode and won't change so I can see how many actual miles are on the truck. Is there any way I can fix this without replacing the entire dash cluster.
I did have someone run a carfax on it about 6 months ago and found that the last recorded mileage was over 202,000 miles.
Any help from anyone would be great.

I imagine its just a switch contact that is not working... its probably similar to a remote control style button perhaps that contact area could be cleaned?

I think the dealer can read it from the obd-2 plug. There are companies that rebuild the clusters and some that sell parts for you to repair it. You might get some info on chevy and gmc truck forums, or duramax forums. Good luck.
Mike

they have had a lot of problems with the clusters on those trucks. Check for recalls, manufacture may stand behind it (doubtful tho).
Tim

From what I understand they do have a history of dash problems

from 2000 to 2006.... there are some that do exchanges and I do believe that the dealer can read the mileage with their obdII readers....don't think the ones at local parts stores can read anything but the fault codes....ton's of repair sites on the net if you want to get it fixed...JMHO....

my 2000 ford sometimes wont display the odo/trip
but it will come on if i finger the push pin selector so I'm thinking dirty switch
try pushing it in and letting it snap back

i had another problem my headlights and turn signals would work then not work then work again ....
EveryDAY it was different...replaced the fuses... was tracing out the harness, checking the computer, replaced the relays...

Then one NIGHT I tilted the column with the lights on.
tilt up = lights come on... tilt down= lights go out...
it wasn't the turn signal/highbeam switch...
The little plastic tab that keeps the harness plug locked into the socket was broke off

sometimes there ain't no telling until you can see what it is.

Latest posts

Back