200R4 question????

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

skull

''SARCASM: just one of his many talents.''
in the 1950 dodge truck l used a 1981 200R4 out of an lmpala. it only has the chevy bolt pattern on the bellhousing. l was told this is a somewhat rare type tranny.

is it any better or worse, power wise, than the multi-bolt pattern transmissions?

is it rare?

l have been told that if l don't abuse it, it should work fine. l ran it for seven years behind a weak sbc 350, this 327 puts out 300hp and l think it'll live fine behind this motor too.

opinions welcome:D

Hey Skull....
I don't know that it's a 200R4.more than likely it's a metric 200
They are a weak low performance tranny,good for just basic transportation.
Is the tranny an over drive or just a 3 spd ?
The 200R4 is for all my experience a BOPC tranny,& have a multi bolt pattern bell house.
My thought is if it work's for ya go with it as long as you dont need performance,as it won't take the abuse.
IMHO....
Righteous....t
ps....I have hot rod adha also! & I'm not looking to get cured!

4 spd

it's definitely an OD, in my 65 chevelle wagon l had it in, it would run 28OO
RPM's in 3rd gear and drop to 21OO RPM's in 0D at 60-65 MPH.

Later:cool:

Here's from Wiki...

200-4R

In 1980, for the 1981 model year, the 200-4R (sometimes called 200R4) was introduced for use in GM vehicles. Internally, the components which were prone to failure in the THM200 were improved, and this transmission was used with high-power applications — primarily the Buick Grand National and the 1982 Chevy Corvette. GMs powered with the Oldsmobile 5.7 L Diesel powerplant were coupled with the 200-4R in place of the 200. The 200-4R was configured with several different torque converters and gear ratios depending on the vehicle application.

Unlike the 700R4, the 200-4R has a multicase bellhousing for use with Chevrolet, Buick/Olds/Pontiac (BOP), and Cadillac powerplants. Since the external dimensions are similar to the THM-350, 200-4Rs are often swapped in place of THM-350s in older vehicles to provide an overdrive gear. (However, in situations where case clearance and the need for drive shaft modification isn't an issue, the TH400 is more of a close mounting match to the 200-4R. Placement of the mount is identical. The yoke needs to be changed in most circumstances, and the drive shaft length will be different as well.)

Early models had PRND321 on the cluster, while later models had PRN(D)D21, with the left D identified as the overdrive gear by a square or oval ring.

The THM200-4R was phased out after 1990 — its final usage was in the GM B-body lineup (Chevrolet Caprice, Oldsmobile Custom Cruiser station wagon, Cadillac Brougham) coupled to either a Chevrolet 305 or an Oldsmobile 307 engine. It is believed that an HD version of the 200-4R was used in the late 80s Caprice 9C1 police package using the internals from the Buick Grand National.

BoB

bellhousing

now l got real curious as to what it was, looked real close and the top ears were ground off. had to wipe off the dirt to see the marks that are left on the top of the bell housing. so not rare, just modified a little on the bell housing.

thanks for the info, will drive low & slow in this one:D

the 33/30 dodge, wellllllll,, VROOOOOMMM in that one[ddev

Later:cool:

Latest posts

Back