250 Questions

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Inked Monkey

Tarzan's tatted best friend
Turns out my six is a 250 and not a 292, which is cool with me. From what i've been reading the only difference between the two is the deck height. Numerous places say that the heads on all the sixes are interchangeable and that if you want to bump the compression up you just put a 235 head on it. This would be cool because then I could use my Edmunds multi carb intake. Have any of you done this before?

But then again this 250 has the integral head with the split exhaust manifold and 2 barrel, so a bunch of people are telling me to keep it the way it is because it's bullet proof.

OK..........

Ok, so I don't need 250 answers for 250 questions.....:confused:

I have never heard of the late model 235 head being interchangable with the 250 Chevy 6,
or any of the other later 6's.
I know the early 216-235 head won't work for you.

This would be a good question to post on the Inliners site.
Let us know what you end up doing with this combination. '22

The 194 and 230 heads will fit a 250 and will increase compression. Some 230 heads have the same combustion chamber size as 250 heads so you need to check carefully if you are after a compression increase.The 235 head will not fit. I've heard that the integral head is not good for increasing horsepower. But, if you want to run it stock there should be no problem.

Thanks Bob!:cool:

www.inliners.org said that also quoted "The 194 head will do what you want, not a 235. The heads for inline 194, 215, 230, 250 and 292 motors will interchange."

I'll probably just run it as is and eventually pick up a different head later.

I've heard the intergral head has problems overheating and cracking. I'd go with an earlier separate head and then you can put a multi carb intake and header.

Some thing like this
001-2.jpg

The integral head is junk. I think a reworked 194 head is supposed to be the best.
Also you can tell a 292 from it's smaller siblings by the size of the side covers. Once you see how much bigger they are it easy to spot a 292 at a glance.

Just a thought, with today's crappy gas, is it wise to increase compression?...grouchy

If compression is what your after then you should have hardened valve seats installed in the exhaust valve. It' takes some machining but worth the effort. Actually it should be done regardless, just to deal with the nolead fuel.

Just a question here for myself. What kind of horsepower can you expect to get out of these inline sixes. I haven't had to much experience with them.

I don't think it about the Horsepower it's the look! :D I've heard of some making really good power 300-400 hp with no problem but typically around 200 hp. Some guy ran a turbo'd 199 ci Rambler 6 cylinder, 600+ hp at Indy one year. :eek:

They intregral head 250s have alot more snot in them, however their heads do not allow bolt on intakes. Ive run both motors and I personally would prefer a intregral with a 2 barrel to a bolt on intake with multi carbs. Ive never heard of bolting a stovebolt head to a 250. They do have performance heads available though? They snottiest 250 is the Pontiac OHC-6 . They are 175 hp with a single and 225 with a 4 barrel. The stock integral has got around 30 more HP than a stock non integral. Ooh by the way, they are not indestructible, Ive blown up both versions.:rolleyes:

I didn't like the integral head years ago when I did have one.

Clifford Performance used to sell an Offey intake for 3 mono-jets...Tuff little motors.

One of my buddies is into imports and he happens to have two extra turbos! The integral head has a split manifold..........something big will probably happen!:cool:

Another easy way to tell a 292 from the smaller sixes. The fuel pump and the right side motor mount swap places.

250 head

If compression is what your after then you should have hardened valve seats installed in the exhaust valve. It' takes some machining but worth the effort. Actually it should be done regardless, just to deal with the nolead fuel.

Just a question here for myself. What kind of horsepower can you expect to get out of these inline sixes. I haven't had to much experience with them.

In the 70's we had a machine shop, and did a lot of 250 & 292 heads. We cut and installed 2.02 intake 1.50 ex. and then ported and polished them, and installed screw in studs and guide plates. After milling a few thousandths from the surface they'd make an old 292 a different animal. There were at least 8 different racers from No. Missouri that ran these heads. One ran 3rd one night in a field of v8 cars, not to bad for an ole 6. You can also check out Clifford 6=8 website.

Latest posts

Back