'27 Ford Build...Plan T!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TheTruant

I got this T coupe body a few years ago and it's been quietly waiting it's turn while all the other junk got worked on. I've had it built and re-built in my mind several times over the last year or two. Plan A turned into plan B and so on as I came across new bits and pieces to use on it. Then once I got to mocking up, measuring, figuring, etc. plan B quickly changed to plan C...then D...I figure as many times as I've changed it up I must be up to Plan T!

But I've got it like I want it and now all I have to do is put it all together [;)

Here's the body as I got it with it's incomplete and less than perfect chop top.

100_2311.jpg

DSCN0211.jpg

DSCN0215.jpg

DSCN0219.jpg

While waiting for the first batch of parts to show up I did some roughing in on the bodywork to at least get it presentable.

DSCN0210.jpg

I threw together a few pieces so I could get some meausrements for a frame.

DSCN0209.jpg

DSCN0196.jpg

Dave Havlir at the House of Fab (goes by "clipper" here) and I have been talking for awhile about doing a T Coupe frame to go along with the Model A style frames he builds. We traded a few measurments back and forth and this is what we came up with.

DSCN0252.jpg

DSCN0254.jpg

DSCN0253.jpg

Front crossmember and frame horns are House of Fab made. Absolutely top notch stuff. If you need a frame, give him a call! Thanks again Dave! [cl

Body getting test fit for the first time...

DSCN0259.jpg

A little trimming and on it goes...

DSCN0260.jpg

DSCN0261.jpg

With a 3" channel it fits like a glove...

DSCN0268.jpg

Can't get much lower than that...

DSCN0264.jpg

The missing pieces to make the front end roll after a trip to the blaster...

DSCN0255.jpg

I'll be running the rear that I removed from my '48 Ford F-1. It has the factory 3.92 gears in it still so I plan on running a T-5 trans. so I don't leave the bottom end of my 322ci Nailhead scatterd across the interstate! The rear suspension will be a triangulated 4 link with coilovers.

DSCN0290.jpg

Here it is with a few of the parts laying in place. Obviously the motor is gonna get mounted level, the frontend will be around 3"-4" lower, and the grill shell will be sectioned.

DSCN0281.jpg

DSCN0277.jpg

That's where I'm at as of now. Waiting on my rear 4 link parts, steering stuff and some other misc. so I can start to mount my radiator, motor & trans. and steering box. Oh yeah, have the bellhousing setup but need to find a trans. and flywheel too!

I love the model T coupes, especially one with a few inches of chop. Yours looks great so far! I'll be following your build. :)

Suprise suprise, it's update time [cl

Got my 4 link in...

DSC_0098.jpg

DSC_0100.jpg

Once that was done I got the frontend under it, body on the frame, and motor and trans. mocked up....

DSC_0107.jpg

Fits like a glove...

DSC_0109.jpg

DSC_0113.jpg

Had to take a little out of the gril shell to get it to fit the rad...

DSC_0103.jpg

DSC_0104.jpg

DSC_0105.jpg

I'm using a set of those rubber biscuits to mount the engine. First up was to make the mount from the engine to the biscuit. Made a paper version and transfered it to some 3/16" plate...

DSC_0114.jpg

Cut it out...

DSC_0115.jpg

After a little welding and grinding...and a few speed holes of course...

DSC_0116.jpg

And bolted into place...

DSC_0117.jpg

DSC_0118.jpg

Now to make the biscuit to frame piece. A piece of 3" tubing with the rough idea drawn on it....

DSC_0120.jpg

Idea cleaned up a little bit....

DSC_0121.jpg

After an encounter with a drill bit and the final radius marked out...

DSC_0139.jpg

That's as far as I've gotten for now. Although I did find time to drop a spare intake on top the other day...

DSC_0123.jpg

DSC_0127.jpg

Just some Dupli-Color self etching primer from a rattle can

well thanks a lot - my fiance says "thats what you need to build next - but automatic..." (she doesnt like driving standard (she knows how just doesnt like to) - which is why all of my vehicles are standard.[ddd

how much is your frame z'd at the front and rear

looks good by the way

i have one also im building, just trying to get a plan

Latest posts

Back