29 ford starts

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Fun to see this coming together
402471.gif

How have I not seen this one ?? Very KOOL !! Don't take offense, but my first thought upon seeing your build was - Munster Coach ! Love the look.. had to go back to the start and see it all.

I know this has been covered already but you may be headed for trouble with the way the front axle is bolted thru to the trailing arms. Not only from suspension flex, but when braking. I've used this exact same axle before in a build on an open wheel car, though drilled for a conventional perch bolt like early Fords. If you watch the axle when stepping on the brakes, even just a low speed stop, you can see the axle actually twists from the force the brakes apply to it. My point is that there are tremendous twisting forces applied to the axle, especially when braking, and such a narrow mounting point on each side looks dangerous to me. Don't want to rain on your parade, just my 2 cents worth.

Keep the pics coming!

I will deff look into this situation and see what needs to be changed. If front end needs to be changed before it goes down the road it will be done for sure. I appreciate all the comments. here is a couple pics of it sitting down on the ground. oh and the munster coach has came up many times during this build.

1929ford091.jpg

1929ford090.jpg

1929ford088.jpg

Well, kinda Munster-ish, but better and without all the stupid junk hanging off it!

Never really thought about how much torque brakes put on a straight axle.

radiator is from a 65 mustang.
Yes 140" wheel base, so its like a suburban length only alot lower to the ground.
Yes started looking into the front axle lastnight. Trying to figure a way out to have it be the setup it is now.

started the bed sides lastnight. should give it a whole new look with those on it.

How about something like this ? It's a 41 chev axle, I drilled it on the old centerbolt hole for the leaf spring pads, built it up with weld first, could also be done by welding a plate into the web to stengthen it before drilling. Then used a regular Ford style perch bolt and made the end for the bones from 3/4" plate, looks like you used about the same size tube for you bones. (I used 1 1/2" x 1/4" wall DOM tube)

Attachments

• jan 28 10 rat 55 025 a.jpg
    jan 28 10 rat 55 025 a.jpg
    126.7 KB · Views: 37
  • jan 28 10 rat 55 024 a.jpg
    jan 28 10 rat 55 024 a.jpg
    113 KB · Views: 34
  • jan 28 10 rat 55 019 a.jpg
    jan 28 10 rat 55 019 a.jpg
    88.5 KB · Views: 39
  • dec 5 09 rat 55 009 a.jpg
    dec 5 09 rat 55 009 a.jpg
    73.4 KB · Views: 33
OK well the bed is on and I pushed her out for some pics. It looks pretty nice if I dont say so myself. LONG AND LOW.. What do you guys think so far?
1929ford098.jpg

1929ford092.jpg

1929ford096.jpg

1929ford093.jpg

1929ford097.jpg

My personal opinion is you're about to start a whole new trend. I believe you will see this thing copied quite a bit. I know I would like to build one similar to it. Its not that often you see something so totally unique, you should be very proud. BTW I LIKE IT !!!!!

just lookin at it and likit as well but have a question are all 3 springs trailer springs and if so what is the pound rating on them thanks

29 build

niiiiice ride, when you built the frame ,fromend of front cross member till you made your first step in front cowl how long? where the bod sits how long? and how long is the last lengthunder the bed, what front axle and what rear axle? do you know where 4 more doors are? i rthink i will copy it , you did a bang upjob flattery is a copy.iwould like it cause i am tall. lots of room. you and bonehead and some of these others are so talented. it sure sets the bar high. RRR has lots of very talented people, i said that robertbandit

Latest posts

Back