300 Ford six

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Willowbilly3

A *real* tin magnet
Anybody running one? I have a soft spot for those and I am planning a build or two, 'cuz I got a bunch of stuff. Anyone got un-used 300 goodies laying around? Or any info you want to share? I already go to Fordsix.

Hi Willowbilly3,

My snow plow truck has an old carbed 300 under the hood. I absolutely love it when it comes to putting gas in the tank. The guys running small block chevs in their plow truck gripe about burning three to four gallons and hour plowing, my "little" six banger burns less than a gallon an hour. Not much for power, but it does the job none the less.

Your best bet if you want to stick with a carb is to run a split exhaust manifold and shave the head for a little more compression. Obviously matching ports is important too. The fuel injected 300 came with a split exhaust manifold that will work on a carb engine with some modification to the intake manifold, but its really not that big of a deal.

I have several that I could be convinced to part with for some cash or some neat old flathead stuff, if you are interested.

I'm in Texas, what is a snow plow truck? :D

ISore

It's kinda like a regular truck, but much more manly.

The 300I6 - one word always comes to mind: INDESTRUCTIBLE! Good HP and crazy amounts of torque - just that its down low. I have been wanting to put a turbo on one for a few years now.....someday. Thought about using my 300 in my Olds, but I'm still using it in my 87 f100 - probably will be for a long time yet.:rolleyes:

I agree with ya sam, much more manly of a truck even if it is a pansy blue color.

I have worked the carp out of that old 300 for the past 8 years and it has performed flawlessly, the coldest morning it started right up was -36F and it has always given me 12 to 15 mpg which isnt too bad for a 4 wheel drive truck from the early 80's. Before I got the truck it was a maintainance truck at a plywood factory and there it was run 12 hours a day 7 days a week. This truck has more hours on it than miles let me tell ya.

As for the indestructilbe part, darn straight they are. I have yet to wear one out and probably never will. I think thats one of the big reasons the engine isnt being made anymore, it lasted too long.

I had a 300 L6 in my 79 F250 years ago. That motor was great. You could beat it with no problems and had a lot of low end torque.

truck engine

I've driven Ford trucks (and vans) with both the 300 six and 302 V8 from the same year ranges - the 300 six was all-around better than the 302 V8 in the trucks. Makes me think the V8 is more of a car engine, and the 300 six better for trucks.

440shorty

P.S. and great for rat rods!

Yes the 240 head has smaller chambers. I have a set of 390 pistons I will use and the compression will come out around 9 to one depending on how much the machine shop takes off.
I have owned a few and one I rebuild back about 92. I had a 260 cam and did some head cleaning. It ran like stink, even though my intake and headers never came from PAW and I ended up with the stock stuff back on it.

So far, this is my plan, elcheapo. I have the new Badger 390 4.050 pistons and rings which will make it around 308 I think. I am looking for a 3/8 stud mount head so I can run Chevy 6 rockers. That is a cheap trick good for 5 horse. I will be at 9 to one or a bit higher, have a ported head, efi split exhaust and maybe an offy dual port intake with a 390 holley, or a bit smaller 2100 autolite 2 bbl.
I gues the stock cam is about the best for low enf and milage so I will stay with that.
That's my plan anyway.
Then put a ZF 5 speed behind it and find a truck to put it in, maybe the 69 crewcab.

Latest posts

Back