302 motor

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FordV8

I have a 302 motor that is fuel injected now but I am going to put a different intake and put a carb on it so and I would like to know if that is a good motor for a rat rod. Also what would be the simplest way to wire it ,and what electrical parts I woud need and what I wouldnt. When I get the body and frame built I want it to be as simple as possible where there is no extra electronics because I dont want to mess with too many wires. Thanks.

I just did 1 i will post a pic i would get a mallry unilte distributor and a coil 3 wires a and your done and no spark box etc but u may not want to go that route.

I did that to a 5.0 in my 33 Dodge PU. Got the dizzy off eBay for about $50. GmHEI--1 wire to switch. I used the throttlebody intake and direct bolted a Holley 2bbl to it--same pattern.. Too easy!!

PA41

Attachments

• bentleybuild 026.jpg
    bentleybuild 026.jpg
    184.1 KB · Views: 16
I also have a 302 in my rat and did the same thing - got an HEI distributor which made it real easy. Mine was an '84 so had a carb already.

Speedway sells new HEIs for fords for $129!! Can't beat that.

eBay selling this HEI SBF dizzy for $80+10 shipping from the pretty gal--she must be TINY!, or $43 + 12 shipping from an old greasy guy.

Chicom, but what isn't--mine works fine ( I got the one from the old guy)..

PA41

Attachments

• 3af6_12.jpg
    3af6_12.jpg
    10.7 KB · Views: 23

You can't get any easier than that HEI unit, 1 hot wire from the switch and 1 tach wire ( if you want to run a tach ) look around on EBAY and you will find a cheep intake and carb set up, maybe orignal ford stuff 79 to 84 mustang, capri, t-bird, maybe eariler stuff as well.
Don't forget we like pictures !!

Ford 302s rev fast and seem to have the right amount of torque for a light vehicle like a rat. I think you'll like it.

Pay attention where you locate crossmembers on your frame to clear the oil pan. Usually not a problem on a rat because the engine is pushed back.

Many hot rodders use a remote oil filter - but you can build your frame to clear the filter.

Latest posts

Back