31 roadster

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jduffy01

While searching the local craigslist for my 66 chevy build I ran across this. The guy wanted to trade it away and not sell it. I got it for a couple of old rifles I had not stuck a bullet in for 15 years. It is secondary to the 66 build, but I will start collecting parts. Not sure what I am going to do, but it will have to be cheap. Probably put it on a s10 frame or something but the paint is staying. It is originally from Georgia I'm guessing cause some of the striping says the engine was built there, the guy I purchased it from picked it up in Indiana. Doors are welded and it was a drag car back in the day. Here she is in all her glory, my 31 Ford roadster.

Attachments

• 3m43o43p35Y35T65R5acq7e4dc4afb5b416f8.jpg
    3m43o43p35Y35T65R5acq7e4dc4afb5b416f8.jpg
    9.1 KB · Views: 120
  • 3n33ka3m65V05Z35R3acq7735d39628e01c9c.jpg
    3n33ka3m65V05Z35R3acq7735d39628e01c9c.jpg
    9.2 KB · Views: 134
  • 3n93o53l65V65Z65X2acq51f822f169ec1bc4.jpg
    3n93o53l65V65Z65X2acq51f822f169ec1bc4.jpg
    9.4 KB · Views: 113
Really nice score, but I question the thinking for an S-10 frame. What's wrong witht the frame under it now?

It was a drag car and they cut the original front frame rails off and replaced them with square tubing and leaf springs. I'm not even sure if the frame is from the same car. It is boxed by what looks like they welded a left and right rail together on each side and put a few cross members in and all the welds are pretty bad. There nothing on the frame i would call original. Theres no numbers so I am going to have to get a registration some were to title it.

I actually have another idea for a frame, but I'm not going to let the cat out of the bag yet. Lets just say its not the norm. I am doing this on a tiny budget so a suicide axle is out of the question.

Anyone know were i can get paperwork to title it?

A staight axle set up is not expensive unless you buy all new . The most I have ever payed for a used axle with spring and wishbone was $250.00 . I would definitly stand clear of the s-10 idea on an open fender car . You cvould always find a parallel leaf set up and go old school gasser .

I recall seeing that for sale a while back. It's rough for sure, but could be saved. FWIW, that's not a
Roadster - It's a Coupe with the top cut off. Just so you know. Anywho, what's the green-ish chassis in the background? Anything usable on it? For god's sake don't try to put it on an S-10 or some other sort of IFS nightmare!

I recall seeing that for sale a while back. It's rough for sure, but could be saved. FWIW, that's not a
Roadster - It's a Coupe with the top cut off. Just so you know. Anywho, what's the green-ish chassis in the background? Anything usable on it? For god's sake don't try to put it on an S-10 or some other sort of IFS nightmare!

If you remember Benny I came close to buying that back then. Real close. I can't recall if it was in IN or OH but I almost brought it home myself.
Ditch the S10 idea. It's kind of neat in it's own way. Leave the paint and build a nice frame for it. You can build a traditional style set up and not have to break the bank.
What state are you in, just wondering.

What makes you say its a coupe? Im new to this, but it has the shorter trunk with a missing above trunk panel and i thought only the roadster had that panel?

I poked around trying to figure out if it was a coupe and there's no way. The rear quarters have the right lines for the roadster and the windshield is welded on and bondo'd like everything else. I'm not sure why the guy who drag raced it put so much bondo on, guess it had to look pretty. Still just going to leave the body alone although it is tempting to patch in the lowers and bring it all back to steel, but there's to much cool history and patina in this car, it would be like erasing it.

Roadsters have a separate windshield frame bolted to the cowl. Coupes and convertibles have a windshield frame thats part of the cowl. But a lot can happen to a body over 80 years so it's hard to tell from your pictures.

Convertible or Coupe type windshield
nat0845.jpg

Roadster
amc473.jpg

coupe/convertible also has that extra 1" - 1 1/2" section on top of the doors that is not there on a raodster. Kinda goes around the back.

Well i have been looking around for frame options searching craigslist and stuff. I know you guys are not into the s10 idea but i want to build this thing cheap as in under 3 grand. I found a few s10s but i think i am going to go with a jeep yj frame. A co worker has a 95 wrangler with a new 4 cylinder he swaped in a year ago i can pick up for a grand. The fame is perfect for the gasser style, i will use the jeep wiring, and i can leave the drive train intact till i get sick of it and swap in a junkyard v8 and tranny. At that point i would remove the front axle pumpkin and weld a solid tube in. I can block the rear to lower it and remove leafs in the front and rear leaving only 2 or 3 in. It should be pretty low at that point after i channel the body. Its definitely a different way to go but i dont like doing the same as everyone else. I have built tons of jeeps in the past so i know them inside and out. If i can get it low enuff with the 4x4 intact i might just leave it to be diff. Im not sure i am into the fuel injected 4 banger but i will give it a chance. Should be a crazy build and something out of the norm.

this is one of the nastiest jeeps i built. 1 ton drive train with a tbi350 lengthened wheelbase and 39.5 boggers. Like i said i know jeeps pretty good, just be going down instead of up this time.

yjon39s.jpg

Well I grabbed the jeep for the frame. It has a hard top, hard doors, newer 4 banger and an auto tranny. I will sell all that off and it should sell easy. I am looking at a caddy 500ci motor and tranny tomorrow which is still in the car. It is supposedly running and if its all good I am going to grab it for $500. That will put me into it 1500 minus what I get for the parts I sell off on the jeep. Im figuring after getting rid of that stuff i might be 1000 into the project which isn't bad for the body, frame, motor and tranny. Once I have everything and I start working on it I will get some pics.

Latest posts

Back