33 Dodge, Scrounger Style!

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Man, i wish I worked as fast as you do. Sure I hurt myself as often as you, but without the killer results.

I try do do something every night. God has had his hand over me the last few weeks. I have really bad back problems but so far I haven't missed a day. I just have to watch what I do and when I feel it coming on I sit down for a while. If I worked as much as I sit it may be running already. I over did it a little last night so I'm trying to get moving and head out there to work now. Thanks for the kind comments everyone. It's been a blast so far..

Day 17
Took it easy this morning. I over did it a little yesterday and I'm sore.
I got the fake moon tank bolted down for good this time. I ran my metal gas line and hooked the fuel system up.
I wrestled with the manifold bolts and got them loose. Pulled the dipstick tube and got the manifold off. As soon as I get the rest of the steering hooked up I can make my zoomies. I finished the rest of my time by removing some more junk on the engine. I was wanting to use the wiring that was on the engine but it is in pretty bad shape. Bare wire all through it. I'll rewire everything. There isn't much anyways. I did some more measuring on the roof to see if I want to do the chop. Still not sure about it.
003-3.jpg

It's lookin good Rebstew. If you need any help, give me a call. I'm like you, stay up all night and try to sleep during the day. If anything, it would be nice to hang out and watch the master at work.

top chop

Rebstew, the top of mine was gonna get a 2'' or 3'' chop. how-ever, l found out by LOTS of measurments that because l raised the floor two inches, my head would hit the roof, or, if l moved the seat back, my head would stick out the top. l am only 5'8 and if mine was chopped, the line of vision would be right in the middle of the of the roof line across the top. look at my post, the roof line where my mirror is, that is what you would see, just roof, no road:D

did you raise the floor on your'e car? by taking the 6'' outta the middle ya may not be able to chop and still see outta the thing: [S

MEASURE A LOT before ya chop!!

looking nice

Later[dr

454+baby moon tank = many stops at the gas station. Other than that, she is killer.
:D The 33 is being built mainly for a weekend race track beater. It will have a gas tank in the back. I will have a valve to switch from the fake Moon tank to the main gas tank.

I think he said it was fake I don't know if that means it is empty or holds some other vital liquid like... Beer lol
Sorry for the confusion. When I said fake it's a real gas tank just not a Moon brand. It's a cheap knock off spun aluminum tank. I figured if I said Moon the purist would freak. I see real Moons going for a few hudred bucks. Mine was super cheap.[cl
So yeap, it's real and will hold Racing fuel when I'm at the track.

It's lookin good Rebstew. If you need any help, give me a call. I'm like you, stay up all night and try to sleep during the day. If anything, it would be nice to hang out and watch the master at work.
Thanks Denny. It is a little strange I know but I don't even have the car at my house. It's stashed away out on the property. It's my alone time from the world when I'm out there. Alot of times I just sit, relax and stare at at the 33 or watch the river flow by while I'm drinking a soda pop. I just can't get much done in my garage at home. I work faster when I'm alone too. You know how it is here. If I have the door open I get people I don't even know wanting to walk in the garage door even at 3 in the morning to check stuff out. Just people walking by. Add being here when the daycare is open through the day. I just need to get away. This 33 build is my personal theropist and she's not charging me 100 bucks an hour. lol

Rebstew, the top of mine was gonna get a 2'' or 3'' chop. how-ever, l found out by LOTS of measurments that because l raised the floor two inches, my head would hit the roof, or, if l moved the seat back, my head would stick out the top. l am only 5'8 and if mine was chopped, the line of vision would be right in the middle of the of the roof line across the top. look at my post, the roof line where my mirror is, that is what you would see, just roof, no road:D

did you raise the floor on your'e car? by taking the 6'' outta the middle ya may not be able to chop and still see outta the thing: [S

MEASURE A LOT before ya chop!!

looking nice

Later[dr
I haven't channeled the body over the frame so I have alot of room. I went up to see my old 34 yesterday and took some measurements. It has a 4 1/2 chop on it and it wasn't channeled either. I'm 6'3 and I fit in it fine. The seat was on the ground though. If I chop this one it will only be 3" Also that header above the windshield will be cut 2" and then the A pillar will be cut 1" that is 3 inches of drop but the windshield will only be 1" shorter. Easy to see out of. I was lucky enough to have the 34 before I started on this 33. So I spent alot of time thinking about what could be done. I know some are scratching their head but a Dodge is not like a Ford. The windows are pretty small already. Looks like it has a mild chop from the factory. So when you go real far down you end up with mail slot windows. Taking a few inches out above the glass will give you more of a view.
Here's me in my 34 a few years ago. sitting back the windshield gets a little small.lol
HPIM2093.jpg

good idea

good idea on the windshield to make it so ya only lower the viewing area l''.

l'm like you and have a really bad back from the kind of work l did in a former life. in that respect, my seat has to sit up a little bit off the floor so my legs can be outstrected and not lower than my backside, have lots of cushion and back support. the car seats l used are out of a 2001 hyndia. they are just the right hight, lots of support, recline and best of all---FREE--
a friend blowed the transmission to pieces, so he parted it and sent the hulk to the crusher.

l know the ford and chevy of this era are a lot bigger on the windshield.
l totally agree with ya, from dead on front view, the 32-33 mopars look like there chopped 2'' already:D

Later[ddev

Day 18
It has steering!!!!
I found my big box from Speedway on my porch today. I sure wish they would knock or something but at least I got it.
I spent more time on the front end than I should have. I was trying to be fancy and pull the drag link in close so I wouldn't have as much trouble making the headers. I messed with it and messed with it but just couldn't get it right. If the geometry if off a little it won't turn the wheels right. I flipped the pitman arm back around the way I had it to begin with and it works great. I'll just have to shoot my pipes straight over the drag link. No biggy. Lock to lock it has the same degree of turn left and right with plenty of movement for a normal turn and then some. I put on the tie rod and got the front end aligned pretty close for now.
Sorry for the B&W pics. I cought it after a couple. I forgot to switch it back over from earlier.
002-4.jpg

003-4.jpg

This drive shaft I robbed from the 58 Chevy was close. Need to be cut an inch or more.
006-3.jpg

I took some time to clean my tools up and clean the barn a little. It was a mess. Not a bad few hours working though. I was wanting to get a little more done because I may not be able to work on her tomorrow. I have to go out of town. We will see though.

looks good! I especially like the "vintage" 94 S10 mag wheels you got there on the front! [cl

looks good! I especially like the "vintage" 94 S10 mag wheels you got there on the front! [cl
:D lol Those are just rollers. I had some of the club member digging through the junkyards and they found me 2 G body 15" spares. These are black steelies that are 15X4 so a set of metric tire will go on the donut spares and you have a set of skinny front runner that match the back steelies.:D

didnt the 3rd gen F bodies have the same rim except with one of those funky inflate-a-spare tires on them? My recollection is fuzzy....

didnt the 3rd gen F bodies have the same rim except with one of those funky inflate-a-spare tires on them? My recollection is fuzzy....

Second and thrid Gen F bodies had the option of having those inflatable spares. They were 7" wide too so not good for just the rim. I just gave 2 of those away to the President of the Northern Ky F body club. These 15X4 with donuts came out in Monte SS and other G bodies. They are getting hard to find and not many know that they can just rip that donut tire off and use a skinny front tire.
001-4.jpg

awsome build.

man are you flying threw this or what? how to build a rat rod in 30 days or less, lol.

This will be the first night I missed working on the 33. My son which is very old at the age of 9:D traded off his truck for something older. He wanted an S10 so we drove down into Ky and found one for him a while back. He has worked on it and fixed it up. I'm not kidding. At 9 years of age he has a mild build undwer his belt. When he found out the S10 couldn't get into some of the shows I go to because it was to new he was ticked off. He traded it off for something older. I just now got back from Springfield Ohio where he did a little horse trading.
This is my son Arayn the day after getting the truck home. Aryan flexing his Chevy Muscles! Do you think the kids was tickled to death to get a truck? LOL
025-4.jpg

022-6.jpg

003-13.jpg

Last edited:
We gave him $2500 to build the S10. The S10 cost 1000 bucks so that left him with 1500 to play with. First was the wheels.
007-15.jpg

She's got some meat on the back of her now.
011-8.jpg

Hood came next.
002-16.jpg

005-5.jpg

012-5.jpg

013-3.jpg

Last edited:
Aryan wanted to take his S10 down in Eastern Kentucky for a car show Carter County Cruisers were doing. He bought some primer, tape and some odds and ends. It was a mad thrash to say the least. He made it home from school at 3:00 pm and we worked on it straight through untill it was done at 3:00 am. 12 hours straight. Few hours of sleep and we were headed down into Ky.
Here Aryan's taking off his taillights.
002.jpg

We did a little engine work. Cleaning up some bad vacuum lines and some other stuff. The heater control even on cold still let hot air blow in the cab so we by-passed the heater. When it gets cold he can put the hoses back on it.
We yanked the chrome grille and was thinking about running this Oldsmoble Grille. He may put the chrome grill back in but he can switch them around for a while to see what he likes.
004.jpg

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back