331 Hemi questions

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SugarRay8

What is the best solution to removing the down draft tube? Can we just put a PVC valve in its place and still run the vented oil fill cap? Can it be eliminated without modifying the valve covers?

Also, we installed a GM HEI using a Hot Hemi Heads adapter and want to make sure we are setting the timing right. Hot Hemi Heads are out of the office this weekend, so no answers from them and we did our best to interpret their written instructions. We put the number 1 cylinder at top dead center, then bumped it 8 degrees advanced. Set the HEI in with the rotor pointing to number one on the cap. Question is: is it that simple? The timing ended up exactly like the original distributors setting, so does the HEI work the same, vacuum advance and all?
Just want to make sure we aren’t missing something.

You are not missing anything SR8. A couple of simplistic answers. The early Chrysler hemi has the same firing order and timing configuration as a V-8 Chevy, so yes, set it up the same. I'll elaborate more if need be.

As far as the down draft tube goes, yes, you can put a grommet in the hole where the tube was and replace it with a pcv. Although I still run my down draft tube as God intended in 1957 :D

Last edited:
Thanks Gastrick, that’s what I was hoping to hear.

On the down draft tube, we planned to run it as well, but had it removed when we set up the car. I have no clue why we had it removed, but we did. We’re really doubting that we’ll have room to keep it. If we do, we’ll run it, but I’m seeing a PVC valve in our future.

Thanks again for the info.

Ha Don, that's funny.:D. Those comedy lessons are really starting to pay of for ya

SR8, Of course the pcv is a better system, I just like the road draft tube. I did have to section mine a bit to use it. I didn't mean to tell you not to use a pcv if that's what you wanted to do. I forgot to mention that Hot Heads sells the correct grommet and pcv valve as a kit. I don't know if you saw it or not. http://www.hothemiheads.com/valley_pans_related/pcv_stock_valley.html

Latest posts

Back