34 chevy frt suspension ?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

half measures

have original paralell leaf set up, I want to run a bbc 454. want to order a 4" drop axle. what can I do to beef up ,the leaf set up ? dont want to look like a ford , and do a spring behind.

No need for a truck axle - the '34 Chevy already has parallel leafs.

You will be fine. Yes the BBC is a heavy pig of an engine, but the 216-6 wasn't exactly a lightweight and the stock Chevy suspension was designed for 1934 - mostly dirt roads and all very rough. If the weight squats it a little too much for you then you can always add a leaf to the pack.

Your stock axle already has 4" of drop - I can't recall if it mounts under the springs? If so, doing a flip (mounting it on top of the springs) will get you down 4" , may require a C notch in the frame. Like B.E.D says, the stock leafs will be fine, more important would be boxing the frame rails to stand up to the BB torque. Disc brake kits are available for the stock axle, as long as it's not the one with the small dia. lightweight spindles. If so, later truck axles will interchange like for instance, 41 Chev pu, spring mount pads and dimensions are very similar.

No need for a truck axle - the '34 Chevy already has parallel leafs.

You will be fine. Yes the BBC is a heavy pig of an engine, but the 216-6 wasn't exactly a lightweight and the stock Chevy suspension was designed for 1934 - mostly dirt roads and all very rough. If the weight squats it a little too much for you then you can always add a leaf to the pack.

Not only was the engine heavy, apx 630lbs, but it also had a cast iron bell housing and cast iron tranny. I think you'll be fine.

Latest posts

Back