34 pick 'em up truck.

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flaglenn

Okay... I'll get this build thread started.

This is a 34 ford truck cab, on model AA rails, a'32 4 inch drop axle and an S-10 rear end. it's chopped 2.5 inches and stretched a full foot. I plan of enlisting my Dad (75) to help with this build and do it on a budget. I'll get some more pics up soon. At this point I'm really collecting parts. If anyone has anything they would like to gift to me :) I'll let you know where to send it. :) . So far my dad and I have cleaned up the frame for the most part. We also found where it has been hit and bent... that is really first order of business, straightening the frame.

Attachments

• FullSizeRender.jpg
    FullSizeRender.jpg
    163.9 KB · Views: 78
The stretch looks great. I was almost doubting myself about it in your introduction post. I'll be watching this develop. :D

AA TT frames

Most folks don't think of using an early truck frame...I built my RaTT rod on a '25 TT frame. 50% thicker gauge steel than the Model A car frame I was gonna use, plus bigger throughout. Means I didn't have to box it. Good truck that you are starting. I like it. TLoisJ

Attachments

• 102_1225.jpg
    102_1225.jpg
    167.2 KB · Views: 31
I'm planning on a SBC, just 'cause that's what I'm most familiar with, either a 305 or a 350... (the last '72 nova I did, i picked up a complete 305 for 75 bucks) whatever I can dig up at a reasonable price. I have even considered a straight 6 just for something different. I have began work on the doors, I'm cutting them down to close flat like the car door rather than over lap like the truck doors do. The stretch is actually 6 inches in the door and 6 inches behind, so it stays proportional. I'll post some pics later on today of the door hinges my dad and I have been fabricating, I think may look kind of cool.

ohh and yeah that AA frame is stout. may "Z" the rear to drop it a bit. right now even with out rear parallel springs in it the bottom of the doors are at 11 inches... that's too high.

I'm also back and forth on the fenders or not.. i have a friend that's going to give me a good deal on a set of steelies, front and back... but I'm torn. I kind of think I can get away with a taller ride with the fenders, but the fenderless looks a bit more "hot rod" when done right.

i think is be watching this threat too... I'd like to see what I end up doing.

proportions and home made door hinges

been messing with bed size and such to make sure it looks right...

Also my dad and I have been working on a set of door hinges, just can't/wont pay $400 or even $300 for a set of repops...

Attachments

• FullSizeRender-1.jpg
    FullSizeRender-1.jpg
    130 KB · Views: 40
  • FullSizeRender-2.jpg
    FullSizeRender-2.jpg
    104.6 KB · Views: 39
  • FullSizeRender-3.jpg
    FullSizeRender-3.jpg
    135.2 KB · Views: 49
Do you have any pics of the cab being stretched?
The hinges will work good and I wouldn't pay $100 for repop ones.

good day...

So yesterday was a good day... I was talking to a friend of mine, who is also a hot rodder, and ended up swapping my AA frame and a few bucks for a full blown 1934 frame. It came out of a hot rod he had parted out a long time ago. Has the 350 motor mounts already installed... crosmembers are already there (they weren't on the AA frame.) So if that wasn't score enough.... I got a tailgate... it's not perfect but man it's cool... i figure I can rebuild it and it will be just fine. I also picked up this very cool... (vintage??) add on turn signal switch. yesterday was a good day...

Attachments

• FullSizeRender-2 copy.jpg
    FullSizeRender-2 copy.jpg
    114.8 KB · Views: 41
  • FullSizeRender-3 copy.jpg
    FullSizeRender-3 copy.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 33
  • FullSizeRender-1 copy.jpg
    FullSizeRender-1 copy.jpg
    127.4 KB · Views: 28
Okay... so I didn't get the 327... BUT that's okay. I went and picked up a 1959 283 and 3 speed tranny today... WOO WHO... didn't thing $375 bucks was a bad deal at all.

Attachments

• 283.jpg
    283.jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 26
Okay so today me and my dad built the structure for the bed of the truck... I had picked up some one inch square tubing from the scrap pile at work and today it got used. We build a jig to make sure we had good square 90 degree corners and to make sure everything was in the right place. Didn't turn out bad. I don't think so anyway. Not a bad weekend.

Attachments

• FullSizeRender 2.jpg
    FullSizeRender 2.jpg
    167.4 KB · Views: 38
  • FullSizeRender_1.jpg
    FullSizeRender_1.jpg
    128.6 KB · Views: 25
  • FullSizeRender_2.jpg
    FullSizeRender_2.jpg
    120.4 KB · Views: 21
  • FullSizeRender_3.jpg
    FullSizeRender_3.jpg
    134.8 KB · Views: 20
  • FullSizeRender_4.jpg
    FullSizeRender_4.jpg
    112.7 KB · Views: 22
The frame is actually sitting on jack stands right now. The rear is just sitting under it. the front has a 3 inch drop axle and I'm going to take some leaves out of it. It will be coming down :D

Latest posts

Back