350 chevy cam referrals?

Rat Rods Rule

Help Support Rat Rods Rule:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tmontanez

Hello all,

I am looking to put a new cam into my 350. the engine is stock so there are no upgrades, but I would like to upgrade the cam for more hp. Can i get suggestions of some affordable cams that boost performance?

thank you

What are your looking to do... cruise, drag etc. I prefer roller cams & have gone to them exclusively!

BoB

it's gonna be my daily driver, but i want a little beef when i take off. nothing too crazy but not a cruiser.

The cam is not a "one size fits all" proposition, it should be tailored to the whole car to give you the best performance. I am with Bob about roller cams being the best bet any more........no break in, no worries about flat lobes, better performance, etc. You also won't be locked into putting in a zinc additive every oil change for the rest of your life.

What I would suggest you do it call one of the cam companies and give them all the facts about your car......weight, how you drive it, gear ratio, transmission type, modifications to motor, etc, etc. Let them tell you what cam would work best with that combination. What works for me probably won't work for you, and the wrong cam can make a car very unpleasant to drive.

Don

What I would suggest you do it call one of the cam companies and give them all the facts about your car......weight, how you drive it, gear ratio, transmission type, modifications to motor, etc, etc. Let them tell you what cam would work best with that combination. What works for me probably won't work for you, and the wrong cam can make a car very unpleasant to drive.

Don

Agreed, get too crazy and you'll also need to change stall speeds. I've always used Comp Cams.

Zipper

i'm with tripperand don go roller, i got a flat tappet and am worried about it going flat with todays oil.

Depending on the year of your engine, you may have a roller cam in there allready. That would be a huge bonus because now you have the roller lifters, dog bones, and spider bracket with block set up to take it all (thrust plate, threaded holes in valley). As opposed to having to retro-fit it all (think $).

Ok i want to go with a mild cam here is what i was thinking:

COMP CAM

Hydraulic Flat Tappet, Duration 305/312, Lift .525/.530

in a 64 chevelle, chevy 350, stock heads

To me that looks like way to much lift in a stock small block. IMO. I have used a smaller cam than that in a big block 402. Those lift numbers should be in the mid 400 range at best or you will have no power at take off. Always look at the operating rpm on the cam specs. The cam you are thinking about probably makes power at about 3000 rpm. Not good in a stock engine on the street.

Ok i want to go with a mild cam here is what i was thinking:

COMP CAM

Hydraulic Flat Tappet, Duration 305/312, Lift .525/.530

in a 64 chevelle, chevy 350, stock heads

That is way, way, way, too much duration. Duration is what effects RPM range, not lift. For your combo, I would stay with something like a Comp Cams 268XE or smaller. Anything bigger and you will need a looser convertor and some 3.73 or steeper gears.

That is way, way, way, too much duration. Duration is what effects RPM range, not lift. For your combo, I would stay with something like a Comp Cams 268XE or smaller. Anything bigger and you will need a looser convertor and some 3.73 or steeper gears.
Yep !!!
I put a 268 XE in my wife's 56 Chev and it's purrrrrfect :cool:
Here's a link to the specs;
http://www.compcams.com/v002/Pages/388/XE268H-10.aspx

ok i think i'm gonna go with the 268 XE!

the cam in there right now is a mechanical flat cam with mechanical flat lifters...

soo to fit the 268 XE which is hydraulic the mods i will have to make to the engine would be to replace the old lifters with hydraulic roller lifters?

any other mods on the engine i should make?....just a stock 350 with a TH400, getting new headers and i have a edelbrock 600CFM carb

thanks everyone for the help!

When you go from a solid lift cam to a hydraulic, look on the the back of the block on each side of the cam plug they are oil galley plugs.
On almost all solid cams these are restictors and you have to take them out and put just a plain pipe plug in it for more oil flow for the hydraulic lifters.
The 268XE is not a roller cam either. It's a flat tappet hydraulic cam.
I would get hold of Comp Cams, tell them what you're running and ask what roller cam they suggest you use.

My guess on a roller is Comp Cams XR264HR
Part #12-412-8 [10,46]
Valve springs will be another issue.
Best to buy a cam kit with everything you need.

Attachments

• 08-000-08K_600.jpg
    08-000-08K_600.jpg
    213.2 KB · Views: 2
ok sorry i don't need a roller cam the XE will be great. just checked out this kit, not bad for the price!?

would this be everything i would need?

and do you know the part name of that pipe plug i would have to put in the block? i did not know of this

thanks again

old iron..your the man!

Attachments

• COMP_K-KIT_FLAT_TAPPET_CHEVY.jpg
    COMP_K-KIT_FLAT_TAPPET_CHEVY.jpg
    76.9 KB · Views: 1

Latest posts

Back